AM tyres... what you running?

patches

everything you said about that E13 is true. but i think you've been holding back something special too.. :P

rolling resistance.

<insertblushinducingexpletiveshere>

Let's just say all that grip comes at a price...but that said it's not terrible... I climb sloooooooow anyway (strava will confirm)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just resurrected two punctured tyres with some dental floss stitching and a patch on the inside. Both were victims of sharp rocks penetrating the tread and  sidewall snake bites in line with the hole. It hasn't worked so well so far. They are usable but leak and need a refill before each ride. Any ideas?

I do prefer the standard snake skin Rock Razor out back on the HT though. Its lighter than the SG version i have just taken off and the ride is better. I'd say that the SG casing works better on a full suspension bike where you don't need as much give in the tyre...

I am back on a MM up front - its way noisier than the RR but confidence inspiring on the slithery damp trails I frequent.

Just resurrected two punctured tyres with some dental floss stitching and a patch on the inside. Both were victims of sharp rocks penetrating the tread and  sidewall snake bites in line with the hole. It hasn't worked so well so far. They are usable but leak and need a refill before each ride. Any ideas?

I do prefer the standard snake skin Rock Razor out back on the HT though. Its lighter than the SG version i have just taken off and the ride is better. I'd say that the SG casing works better on a full suspension bike where you don't need as much give in the tyre...

I am back on a MM up front - its way noisier than the RR but confidence inspiring on the slithery damp trails I frequent.

Put a tubeless patch over the stitched area, inside the tyre's carcass. That, or some rubber solution (patch glue) before you stitch it. 

Put a tubeless patch over the stitched area, inside the tyre's carcass. That, or some rubber solution (patch glue) before you stitch it. 

thats what he did

thats what he did

Blegh. Reading not so good today. Maybe there wasn't enough glue, or the patch didn't seal properly...  It's worked pretty well for me in the past, when I've done it. 

Just resurrected two punctured tyres with some dental floss stitching and a patch on the inside. Both were victims of sharp rocks penetrating the tread and sidewall snake bites in line with the hole. It hasn't worked so well so far. They are usable but leak and need a refill before each ride. Any ideas?

Get some super glue I'm the cut.

I have some thread here, thats extra heavy duty and swells up when it gets wet. This could work for you, but its thicker than dental floss and probably 2 to 3 times thicker than normal thread.

Maybe try some sticks like *** or similar adhesive over the stitched area. 

thats what he did

Yep, and funnily enough i rode the RR on the front a bit with just a std patch glued on the inside of the tyre, no stitching. It was leaking very slightly but the sealant did its job. Oh well, will have to persevere...

• 4 weeks later...

New Maxxis EXO+ casing. https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Maxxis-EXO-Casing-and-New-Rekon-Race-Tire-EUROBIKE-2018,2430

The arrival of EXO+ tire casing introduces a silk-shield layer which runs within the casing, from bead to bead, providing what is quoted as a 27% increase in puncture protection, a 51% increase in sidewall durability, as well as a 28% increased resistance to pinch flats.

EXO+ casing adds about 30 to 40grams to a given tire size and fills a gap between the existing EXO and Double Down casings. Because this EXO technology is designed for more aggressive riding styles, it will initially show up on the Minion DHF, DHR II, and Rekon tread patterns and likely only in the WT (Wide Trail) sizes.

New Maxxis EXO+ casing. https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Maxxis-EXO-Casing-and-New-Rekon-Race-Tire-EUROBIKE-2018,2430

The arrival of EXO+ tire casing introduces a silk-shield layer which runs within the casing, from bead to bead, providing what is quoted as a 27% increase in puncture protection, a 51% increase in sidewall durability, as well as a 28% increased resistance to pinch flats.

EXO+ casing adds about 30 to 40grams to a given tire size and fills a gap between the existing EXO and Double Down casings. Because this EXO technology is designed for more aggressive riding styles, it will initially show up on the Minion DHF, DHR II, and Rekon tread patterns and likely only in the WT (Wide Trail) sizes.

I like it! DD casing on a Minion DHF 29×2.5" puts the tyre at 1.3kg - so this will be a welcome weight saving for those that don't ride quite hard enough to warrant DD but want some more piece of mind than what standard EXO provides...

I like it! DD casing on a Minion DHF 29×2.5" puts the tyre at 1.3kg - so this will be a welcome weight saving for those that don't ride quite hard enough to warrant DD but want some more piece of mind than what standard EXO provides...

For such negligible weight increases, why not just dump make EXO+ the new EXO? 

For such negligible weight increases, why not just dump make EXO+ the new EXO?

Good point. Maybe dump Exo on all the more aggressive tyres and keep it on XC tyres. But... if they don't have a cool new name to print on the side of the tyre how will they possibly make even more money?

Read somewhere (E13 website i think it was) you have to clean the rubber around the repair area very well. The advisory is to use brake cleaner, otherwise the patch tends to come unstuck eventually, if not sooner. 

After rubbishing my E13 carbon rim, i'm back on the aluminium backup wheel shod with non-Addix magic mary. Will be interesting to feel the difference in rolling resistance specifically. Having both E13s on was honestly, like riding with the parachute deployed.

Edited by Capricorn

The Judge is gnarly by all respects

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/AK_20180621_AK5_8307-1024x683.jpg

Edited by Eddy Gordo