AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Hey nofearnofun, yeah I get them from the boys at international trade, am not sure where else stocks them, have seen at mikes bikes before but dont know of the prices, I spend a lot of time on the spruit right round the corner from jason and Jacques office so for me it's easy to drop in on my way to work etc.

When did you get them? Was after some about 3 weeks ago and int. trade didn't have stock.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When did you get them? Was after some about 3 weeks ago and int. trade didn't have stock.

They still dont have stock, i enquired about the bronsons... got nothing. i am waiting for the new shipment of Spank rims coming mid-december 2013.

Sheesh I cant remember to be completly honest, was about a month or so ago at a guess, perhaps a little longer.

They still dont have stock, i enquired about the bronsons... got nothing. i am waiting for the new shipment of Spank rims coming mid-december 2013.

I picked one up recently at Cyclelab in Cape Town

Since fitting the Hans Dampfs in May (I think) ive done a lot of diverse riding on them. Different types of trails, different pressures, XC, DH, Enduro trails, jumping etc. To me it is the best all-round tyre Ive ever used.

The Pacestar compound being the hardest has lasted incredibly well and I can highly recommend using it on the rear. For the front you can highly consider the Trailstar or the softest compound even.

The Super Gravity version, although a little heavier, has proven to be super hardy on rocks and you can pretty much go all out on them and you won't be stuck on the side of the trail with a ripped sidewall. The extra weight is hardly noticeable.

It is a fast rolling tyre that has proven itself over and over on dry conditions. As the muddy wet season sets in here in JHB I am looking forward to see how they perform in mud.

The 2.35" size really is closer to a 2.5" on the right rims.

Will I buy them again. YES!!! Well worth the +- R1200 retail price for a set. Dead easy to setup for tubeless and I've only burped them under the most stupid of riding conditions. Even then the tyre was easy to get back up and running with a cheapy hand pump.

I am happy to give them a proper 5/5!

Since fitting the Hans Dampfs in May (I think) ive done a lot of diverse riding on them. Different types of trails, different pressures, XC, DH, Enduro trails, jumping etc. To me it is the best all-round tyre Ive ever used. The Pacestar compound being the hardest has lasted incredibly well and I can highly recommend using it on the rear. For the front you can highly consider the Trailstar or the softest compound even. The Super Gravity version, although a little heavier, has proven to be super hardy on rocks and you can pretty much go all out on them and you won't be stuck on the side of the trail with a ripped sidewall. The extra weight is hardly noticeable. It is a fast rolling tyre that has proven itself over and over on dry conditions. As the muddy wet season sets in here in JHB I am looking forward to see how they perform in mud. The 2.35" size really is closer to a 2.5" on the right rims. Will I buy them again. YES!!! Well worth the +- R1200 retail price for a set. Dead easy to setup for tubeless and I've only burped them under the most stupid of riding conditions. Even then the tyre was easy to get back up and running with a cheapy hand pump. I am happy to give them a proper 5/5!

nice review, will consider when I am next looking at tires.

Does anyone have some feed back on Maxxis High Rollers? In a desperate time I had to fit a 26x2.1" up front and I am super impressed with the grip! Thinking of giving the 2.35" or 2.5" a try on the longer travel bike. Anyone used it as an AM tyre?

I have the minion DHF 2.5 on the front and Highroller 2.35 at back , insane grip ; I can push it to the limits and it wants more - just love it !!

Has anybody run a set of these? Thinking of ordering one for the rear tyre, interested to know how it runs in our conditions.

http://i.imgur.com/EcTjAIQ.png

Since fitting the Hans Dampfs in May (I think) ive done a lot of diverse riding on them. Different types of trails, different pressures, XC, DH, Enduro trails, jumping etc. To me it is the best all-round tyre Ive ever used.

The Pacestar compound being the hardest has lasted incredibly well and I can highly recommend using it on the rear. For the front you can highly consider the Trailstar or the softest compound even.

The Super Gravity version, although a little heavier, has proven to be super hardy on rocks and you can pretty much go all out on them and you won't be stuck on the side of the trail with a ripped sidewall. The extra weight is hardly noticeable.

It is a fast rolling tyre that has proven itself over and over on dry conditions. As the muddy wet season sets in here in JHB I am looking forward to see how they perform in mud.

The 2.35" size really is closer to a 2.5" on the right rims.

Will I buy them again. YES!!! Well worth the +- R1200 retail price for a set. Dead easy to setup for tubeless and I've only burped them under the most stupid of riding conditions. Even then the tyre was easy to get back up and running with a cheapy hand pump.

I am happy to give them a proper 5/5!

I've just popped a Nobby Nic pacestar 2.4 on the rear, and a Hans Dampf trailstar 2.35 on the front.

Havent ridden with them yet, so cant comment.

I couldn't get them inflated with a foot pump though, so that was a bit of a bummer, but not too serious.

Has anybody run a set of these? Thinking of ordering one for the rear tyre, interested to know how it runs in our conditions.

http://i.imgur.com/EcTjAIQ.png

Actually quite a nice tyre.

Don't get them in the 2.1, they are VERY narrow.

• 3 months later...

I have 2.35 Nobby Nics on Novatec Flowtrail rims. I want to put a Mountain King 2 on the front because the Nic is a crap front tyre. What width do I get? Will 2.4 be too wide? I don't want to go tractor, but I also don't want my rear Nic to be wider than the front.

Just fitted a 2.35 Nevegal to my back wheel - 900g and has lovely stiff side knobs. Had to tweak my rimstrip and add three layers of tape to get them to mount tubeless. Width is fine for the back wheel ie noticeably narrower than my HD 2.35 on the front.

I had to ditch my 2.35 Bronson because of excessive tread wear. Its a great tyre but the compound is way too soft which is a pity because it mounts tubeless easily is fat for a 2.3 and has tough side walls...

I have 2.35 Nobby Nics on Novatec Flowtrail rims. I want to put a Mountain King 2 on the front because the Nic is a crap front tyre. What width do I get? Will 2.4 be too wide? I don't want to go tractor, but I also don't want my rear Nic to be wider than the front.

curious as to your crap assessment for the NNs. Which model were you riding? I was rather pleasantly surprised with the NNs (pacestar, evo, snakeskin. 2.35) i had as a front tyre: superb grip, good wear.

But i've finally given up on the hans dampf craze. Front wheel is now a magic mary super gravity, and when the HD on the rear wheel finally shreds itself to death, I'll be switching to either the rock razor or magic mary. All super gravity carcasses.

Edited by Capricorn

I want to put a Mountain King 2 on the front because the Nic is a crap front tyre.

Depends on the conditions you ride in?

Ive been on Mountain Kings protection for ages and they great tyres when it's dry.The last 2 months i have been riding NN because it's been very wet.

The Mk roll much faster and are a softer ride than the NN.When it dries up ill be on the MK again but for now the NN are great.