AM tyres... what you running?

patches

I've been using the Canis for years. Very easy tubeless setup. Very nice rubber and a great tyre.

Schweet...

How long do they last? rear tyre right? and grippy in all or most conditions, reason i ask is because of the knobs roundish and low tread profile...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the Canis for years. Very easy tubeless setup. Very nice rubber and a great tyre.

Schweet...

How long do they last? rear tyre right? and grippy in all or most conditions, reason i ask is because of the knobs roundish and low tread profile...

Yes, rear tyre. I'm on my second one - about 3 years on. No sidewall cuts.

They last longer than a Racing Ralph. I wouldn't hesitate to get an Ibex.

Decided to change my angle. Will get an Ibex and a HD and keep them in the cupboard. But had a buddy coming out so I decided to get him to pick up a On-One Chunky Monkey and a Smorgsboard for luck. They get good reviews and will be interesting to see how they go... and for the price if I don't like them it's not a regret.

http://d2plslj6xljffa.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/oo/400_constH/TYOOCM26X24_P1.jpg

Decided to change my angle. Will get an Ibex and a HD and keep them in the cupboard. But had a buddy coming out so I decided to get him to pick up a On-One Chunky Monkey and a Smorgsboard for luck. They get good reviews and will be interesting to see how they go... and for the price if I don't like them it's not a regret.

http://d2plslj6xljffa.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/oo/400_constH/TYOOCM26X24_P1.jpg

is it just me or does the tread in that bottom right pic look a bit like a Nobby Nic

they are fantastic! Quite a different personality to the Muddy Mary it replaces. Side knobs are quite a bit stiffer than the side knobs on the Muddy Ms. It requires (for my weight) slightly less pressure than the Muddy Ms for the grip to maximise. But that i believe is due to the super gravity carcass, which makes those side walls quite a bit stiffer than on the Muddy Ms. But my word the grip! Roots, rocks, off cambers especially: superbly controlled.

The Magic Mary is slightly less predictable in terms of transition from middle to side knobs, but just hold your nerve and it will hook up. I believe this additional 'driftyness' stems from the fact the Muddy Mary has a transition knob every 2nd row of middle knobs, whereas on the Magic Mary, its only every 4th row of center knobs.

Muddy Mary (left) and Magic Mary (right)

So with the Magic Mary, that side channel is much longer than on the Muddy Mary and thus the transition can feel abrupt and slip a bit if you don't lean the bike over hard. Anyone that loves high rollers will know this feeling.

Just as with the Muddy Mary, the Magic Mary has superb grip on hard pack, and loose over hard pack conditions. It's very surprising for a tyre with such tall knobs.

Mud clearance should be excellent on the Magic Mary, probably better than the Muddy Mary because Schwalbe has opened up the center channel: where's there was a two conjoined blocks on the Muddy M, the Magic Mary has two blocks with a space between them.

Earlier, I mentioned the side knobs are stiffer. This could be problematic in hardpack or loose over hardpack conditions if the transition to them is sudden. But Schwalbe has counteracted this by introducing the siping one sees on the crown of the side knobs. It make's the knobs slightly more forgiving and essentially extends the grip of the knobs without sacrificing the overall knob stiffness. Many complained about the lack of side knob stiffness of the Muddy Mary, saying it folded too easily. Problem solved.

Are you running it on the back as well?

Been running half bald 2,1 crossmarks on my Yeti 575 (came with the wheels I bought for the build) and all I can say is thank **** for payday... Been really sketchy on the rides and given me zero confidence so just ordered myself some new rubber from EasyBike (great prices)...

After reading loads of reviews and comments (this thread included) and being on the fence - I decide to pull the trigger and go with the below. I reckon (hope) they'll suit my ride and seem to be a decent config for all round trail and beginner/light DH use that should grip, roll and inspire confidence.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin PaceStar 2.25'' - For the Back

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin TrailStar 2.4'' - For the Front

Gonna run them tubeless on Mavic 819 discs.

Edited by BaltazarMarques

Been running half bald 2,1 crossmarks on my Yeti 575 (came with the wheels I bought for the build) and all I can say is thank **** for payday... Been really sketchy on the rides and given me zero confidence so just ordered myself some new rubber from EasyBike (great prices)...

After reading loads of reviews and comments (this thread included) and being on the fence - I decide to pull the trigger and go with the below. I reckon (hope) they'll suit my ride and seem to be a decent config for all round trail and beginner/light DH use that should grip, roll and inspire confidence.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin PaceStar 2.25'' - For the Front

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin TrailStar 2.4'' - For the Back

Gonna run them tubeless on Mavic 819 discs.

I'd say put the pacestar 2.25 on the back

is it just me or does the tread in that bottom right pic look a bit like a Nobby Nic

not too familiar with the nix's as I haven't really used roll anywhere with them on.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/components/tyres/WMB80.gear.try_nobby-399-80.jpg

Has anyone here used WTB Bronsons?

I'm thinking of replacing my RoRo (rear) / HD (Pacestar front) combo with either a WTB Wolverine/Weirwolf combo, or Bronsons.

I'd say put the pacestar 2.25 on the back

Doh, that is actually what I meant and am going to do but my brain had a misfire at point of post :-/

I'm thinking of replacing my RoRo (rear) / HD (Pacestar front) combo with either a WTB Wolverine/Weirwolf combo, or Bronsons.

Loving the Bronson's at the front. When run at the right pressure they grip beautifully.

Wolverines roll well for the back, just not sure on their longevity. Mine lasted about 9 months. Maybe that's good?

Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front, and WTB Weirwolf on the back. Wonderful combo

My Sani partner rides Weirwolf front and rear - says it's the best tyre he's ever ridden.

Yes. I run Bronsons front and rear. I know a number of guys who do.

Superb tyres: high volume, grip brilliantly, rolls well, cheap (if you know the agents). Lasts adequately, I get about 2500 - 3000kms on a set (I'm 95kgs).

You do need to experiment with pressures quite a bit till you find that sweet spot. Slightly too hard and you're losing traction and bouncing off every rock and root. Slightly too soft and you wallow so much you slide everywhere. Get it right though and it's heaven.

But don't bother with the skinnier Wolverines or Weirwolf on the back. The Bronson rolls just as well but grips much better.

Loving the Bronson's at the front. When run at the right pressure they grip beautifully.

Wolverines roll well for the back, just not sure on their longevity. Mine lasted about 9 months. Maybe that's good?

Snap dude. Haha