AM tyres... what you running?

patches

short  = low profile (soos op jou GTI)

Just want to add my 2c...

Have you hit a pothole n a GTI vs. a Hilux? Both are still *** cars after you hit the pothole....

Jokes aside... The Hilux has a much higher chance of less damage to the rim and tyre vs. the GTI.

I am not sure what sort of terrain you ride but up here in rocky Gauteng, I choose a higher volume tyre every time as the bigger volume with a relatively low pressure (not too low that it squirms all over the place) will conform to bumps and sharp edges not only giving you a plusher ride and the "illusion" of extra suspension travel, but the bigger volume allows the tyre to absorb more of these hits before pinging your rim all over the show resulting in a sad rider pushing his/her bike down the trail while googling replacement tyre and rim prices.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to add my 2c...

Have you hit a pothole n a GTI vs. a Hilux? Both are still *** cars after you hit the pothole....

Jokes aside... The Hilux has a much higher chance of less damage to the rim and tyre vs. the GTI.

I am not sure what sort of terrain you ride but up here in rocky Gauteng, I choose a higher volume tyre every time as the bigger volume with a relatively low pressure (not too low that it squirms all over the place) will conform to bumps and sharp edges not only giving you a plusher ride and the "illusion" of extra suspension travel, but the bigger volume allows the tyre to absorb more of these hits before pinging your rim all over the show resulting in a sad rider pushing his/her bike down the trail while googling replacement tyre and rim prices.

The trick is to run Mavic rims. Then you don't break your rims.

Jokes aside, a smaller volume tire is more progressive (like your Pike after your bottomless tokens)  :ph34r: . So its better if you ride hard

The trick is to run Mavic rims. Then you don't break your rims.

Jokes aside, a smaller volume tire is more progressive (like your Pike after your bottomless tokens)  :ph34r: . So its better if you ride hard

Jokes aside, I've see many a Mavic rim trashed.

While a smaller volume in the positive air chamber is more progressive, do your smaller volume tyres have a larger volume negative air chamber for small bump sensitivity and off the top plushness?

Can't argue with science, 66% of the time it is correct every time.

Was your shuttle broken?

I also had my TSRr on the front at Cascades.

What shuttle did the part ride and hike up and loved the down???? Edited by Bizkit031

What shuttle did the part ride and hike up and loved the down

Haha awesome! We spent the Friday and Saturday shuttling the hell out of that hill!

Edited by Nofearnofun

Haha awesome! We spent the Friday and Saturday shuttling the hell out of that hill!

No such luck on Sunday we were sweating much better up that hill.

It would seem that Minion DHR II's (27.5") are in short supply.

Any one know who still have stock in Gauteng?

Looking for opinions on tyre combos as I'm after a new rear tyre. Running a Citius up front which is still pretty new and wondering if I should move this to the rear and get a new front tyre or keep it up front and get a new rear tyre...thinking Aggressor for the rear or dhf/magic mary out front. Anyone ridden with the Citius as a rear tyre? Any other combo suggestions? Would prefer something a bit more quicker rolling than the ibex I currently have out back so not sure the Citius would fit that bill. Suggestions welcome

Looking for opinions on tyre combos as I'm after a new rear tyre. Running a Citius up front which is still pretty new and wondering if I should move this to the rear and get a new front tyre or keep it up front and get a new rear tyre...thinking Aggressor for the rear or dhf/magic mary out front. Anyone ridden with the Citius as a rear tyre? Any other combo suggestions? Would prefer something a bit more quicker rolling than the ibex I currently have out back so not sure the Citius would fit that bill. Suggestions welcome

What bike is it going on? Not that it matters but it's always good to get an idea. 

I tend to go for a faster rear tyre but I know alot of people want big grip both ends. I'm a fan of the combo rear tyres like the Spez Slaughter, Schwalbe's Rock Razor or the Maxxis Minion SS because you get fast and then when you lean it over there is a lot of traction. With the weather getting a bit damper / wetter / slidey they might not be ideal. Was looking at some of the other Spez offerings and a WTB Wolverine but ended up getting a 2.4 Ardent for the rear to match up with a Citius for winter. Both 2.4. Could be a bit more of a hand brake than I'm used to but we'll see.  

These are to go on a Spez Enduro running Flow mk3 rims.  

Edited by Yo-yo

What bike is it going on? Not that it matters but it's always good to get an idea.

I tend to go for a faster rear tyre but I know alot of people want big grip both ends. I'm a fan of the combo rear tyres like the Spez Slaughter, Schwalbe's Rock Razor or the Maxxis Minion SS because you get fast and then when you lean it over there is a lot of traction. With the weather getting a bit damper / wetter / slidey they might not be ideal. Was looking at some of the other Spez offerings and a WTB Wolverine but ended up getting a 2.4 Ardent for the rear to match up with a Citius for winter. Both 2.4. Could be a bit more of a hand brake than I'm used to but we'll see.

These are to go on a Spez Enduro running Flow mk3 rims.

Riding a Transition Scout with Flow EX rims. Been leaning toward keeping the Citius up front but was also interested if anyone has used it as a rear tyre. Agree with your sentiments regarding a faster rolling rear tyre though, found the Ibex I'm currently using has plenty grip but the rolling resistance is noticeable

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Looking for opinions on tyre combos as I'm after a new rear tyre. Running a Citius up front which is still pretty new and wondering if I should move this to the rear and get a new front tyre or keep it up front and get a new rear tyre...thinking Aggressor for the rear or dhf/magic mary out front. Anyone ridden with

the Citius as a rear tyre? Any other combo suggestions? Would prefer something a bit more quicker rolling than the ibex I currently have out back so not sure the Citius would fit that bill. Suggestions welcome

I'm running citrus 2.4 front and rock razor 2.35 back and very happy on my hardtail

Riding a Transition Scout with Flow EX rims. Been leaning toward keeping the Citius up front but was also interested if anyone has used it as a rear tyre. Agree with your sentiments regarding a faster rolling rear tyre though, found the Ibex I'm currently using has plenty grip but the rolling resistance is noticeable

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

The citius is far slower than the Ibex. Ibex at least has ramped knobs. Citius is Onza's grip monster, until the Aquila (Gwin's tyre) is released. 

For the rear I'd say Aggressor for wintery stuff, or the Slaughter / Rock Razor / Minion SS if you're feeling a bit psycho (won't grip the mud as easily for straightline braking. Cornering will be fine)

The citius is far slower than the Ibex. Ibex at least has ramped knobs. Citius is Onza's grip monster, until the Aquila (Gwin's tyre) is released.

For the rear I'd say Aggressor for wintery stuff, or the Slaughter / Rock Razor / Minion SS if you're feeling a bit psycho (won't grip the mud as easily for straightline braking. Cornering will be fine)

Heheh, nothing like some winter psycho riding! Shot for the input. New rear tyre sounds like the way to go