XT or SLX or XTR?

LOSMEICHERIE

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys please help me here which is is best.please tell me why you like the group set.

They are all good. All of them are reliable and won't drop you when it comes down what it is they're suppose to do. As you go up in the ranks they get lighter, which comes at a price and, arguably, shifting gets quicker and more precise. But for the best part SLX is all you will ever need and you will have to spend a lot of time on a bike to be able to feel the difference in speed when shifting.

people who use Crank Brothers products :P :lol:

People who you use CB products like to keep the weight down and is not the strongest but really great for non-fattys.

I think that we as South African riders are bike snobs and we over spec our bikes! I have ridden many different groupsets and the biggest difference was my own ability and my own fitness levels! When I am fit and therefore have better abilities, SLX is more than suffecient. (Old Deore lx) As long as you are out there riding and enjoying it, what is on your bike should be the last thing on your mind, provided you have a good maintenance regime!

I think that we as South African riders are bike snobs and we over spec our bikes! I have ridden many different groupsets and the biggest difference was my own ability and my own fitness levels! When I am fit and therefore have better abilities, SLX is more than suffecient. (Old Deore lx) As long as you are out there riding and enjoying it, what is on your bike should be the last thing on your mind, provided you have a good maintenance regime!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: - how true we all tend to forget that ultimately it comnes down to the pedalling. Burry Stander, Kevin Evans etc, although they would have preferred something else, would do equally well no matter what groupset

Our little Campy friends have a bit of a problem in the mtb department ... oh wait ... they dont have a mtb department.

Our Pina friends seem to favor Japanese over American for the Dogma XC 29er and FV5 ... so Im happy but they must be committing a cardinal sin or breaking the law or some unheard off sillyness!

Luckily you know my motto by now, I own it, I ride it, I put whatever the hell I like on it and the rest can lick my chain.

So, ride what you want to!

You got that right, but then again, I wouldn't buy a Pina or Bianchi MTB....

Somewhere along the line they will be punished....

People who you use CB products like to keep the weight down and is not the strongest but really great for non-fattys.

tell that to anyone who has owned a Joplin or CB heatset ;)

Huh?

The reason for SLX over XTR is if the part gets damaged it far less costly to replace.

That 6 hour Heidelberg race last year i damaged my rear shifter, to replace the XT would be almost double the SLX and XTR double the XT. Unfortunately you cant buy rear or front separate so you need to buy both

CWC 10spd Shifter

SLX = R570

XT = R999

XTR = R1830.

There's nothing light about just about all CB products. I think the ONLY exception is Egg Beaters. The rest are all only just on par or slightly heavy for what it is. If you factor the price in they are over-priced for their weight, quality and longevity.

Not trying to knock CB, just saying it like it is.

"Unfortunately you cant buy rear or front separate so you need to buy both"

CRC sell some versions seperately.

Ok ok sram is not bad, just not as good as shimano on a mtb.

the innocence of youth, tsk tsk.

• 2 weeks later...

The only xtr parts on my bike ismy chain, which i bought based on advice, and must say, i think it made abhuge difference to the life span of my chain and cluster. i use a xt cluster, xtr chain and rest is slx. before this i had to replace chain and cluster regularly but since the xtr chain was fitted i reckon its doubled the lifespan. this of course my own opinion. and the xtr chain was R80 more than the xt at cwc back then, therefore def felt i saved some bucks in the longrun as cassete and chainnreplacement would have cost me a lot more. and belive me, ive taken to cwc a couple of times to test my chain as i just couldnt believe that it could last that long

The only xtr parts on my bike ismy chain, which i bought based on advice, and must say, i think it made abhuge difference to the life span of my chain and cluster. i use a xt cluster, xtr chain and rest is slx. before this i had to replace chain and cluster regularly but since the xtr chain was fitted i reckon its doubled the lifespan. this of course my own opinion. and the xtr chain was R80 more than the xt at cwc back then, therefore def felt i saved some bucks in the longrun as cassete and chainnreplacement would have cost me a lot more. and belive me, ive taken to cwc a couple of times to test my chain as i just couldnt believe that it could last that long

maybe you freewheel too often?

The reason for SLX over XTR is if the part gets damaged it far less costly to replace.

Now whilst is is true that SLX is far less costly to replace than XTR if the part gets damaged, that alone is not enough reason to prefer it.

That would be like me justifying my support of the Lions on the basis that I spend less on victory celebrations than a Stormer supporter would. ( big wink if I could get my emoticons to work )

• 2 months later...

Are the new XT shifters notably better than SLX? R200 in it.

Then, I was gonna buy a new crank, but I took my old Deore one off and weighed it. It weighs 845 ex BB. The new 2x XT crank is 734 ex BB. So I'm asking why I should fork out 2 grand to save 111 grams. Especially since the Deore crank is about the only part of my kit that never gives trouble, despite literally getting the k@k kicked out of it.