MTB shoes/pedals

Clinton1

Maybe one of those reasons is people trying on stuff and ordering the same online after milking the shop's time and input.

If you go this route, consider a single strap across the pedal like this http://bicycling.abo...power_grips.htm

I gave up buying shoes locally due to limited range, prices and general discomfort with service levels . If you got your size, shopping on line is a no-brainer. I don't feel any loyalty to support any LBS in this regard.

We discussed those straps recently, not a good idea for mtb. I used 'Power straps' for years, mostly when I was commuting

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up buying shoes locally due to limited range, prices and general discomfort with service levels . If you got your size, shopping on line is a no-brainer. I don't feel any loyalty to support any LBS in this regard.

I was shocked today by the difference in price between online and "real world". I had priced some pedals online at R350, the shop had them for R680. Now I understand as a shop they have overheads but as a consumer why would I want to pay almost double. And pedals I do not need to try on!

Cant believe you dont have cleats yet....

Whatever you do...make sure you try on as many shoes as possible before deciding. Dont just buy because they look nice or are well priced.

I spent an hour on Sat trying on diferent Specz models of shoes and damn if my feet didn't go and choose the most expensive pair....

Tried them on in cycle lab & bought them in cycle lab...not sure why it was assumed I bought them on line!?!

Sensitive much? Dry yer eyes man and read the post clearly, was a general post, no assumption. Promise guv.

No, no, not interested in that at all. I presumed he was referring to shows with rachets like that last pair shown. Two velcro straps and one rachet at the top.

Ah cool, no worries. Yeah on the shoes. That could be an issue, but it's not something I've experienced. As long as the ratchets are kept clean. Velcro straps are fuss free by comparison, FA brought out a really nice pair of shoes for the price with velcro straps.

Eggbeaters. Very easy to clip in and out. If you go for Shimano pedals go XTR. I never tried them, but I hear they are good. I had the cheap Shimano ones and donated a lot of skin because of them. I will never use anything but eggbeaters again.

I've got the 520 peddles and used to love them. That was until I rode in mud. They are hard to clean when the mud dries. Rather pay a bit more and find something more mud friendly

I've got the 520 peddles and used to love them. That was until I rode in mud. They are hard to clean when the mud dries. Rather pay a bit more and find something more mud friendly

Interesting that you say that as when I was doing research I recall many comments about how good they are in the mud. Just did a quick google now and came up with these:

From Shimano, so biased

The open binding mechanism is designed to better shed mud

MTBR.com reviews

Weaknesses: None that I can think of. They even work for me when muddy.
I've only ever had these pedals become difficult to clip into in the worst mud I've ever ridden in - all other times, they performed flawlessly
Strengths: Easy tension adjustability. It's held-up for 2 years, many where I was in straight mud.
Strengths: reasonably priced, good mud clearance, easy clip-in and clip-out, durable, good looks

On REI.com

These lightweight pedals feature an open pattern that helps shed mud for worry-free riding.

get the mtb pedals, you can ride them with or without cleats, no problem.I have tryed both and if you read reviews the feedback is very true,they actually are easy to clip into and are more versatile.

Eggbeaters. Very easy to clip in and out. If you go for Shimano pedals go XTR. I never tried them, but I hear they are good. I had the cheap Shimano ones and donated a lot of skin because of them. I will never use anything but eggbeaters again.

You do know that you can set the tension on SPD's ?

You do know that you can set the tension on SPD's ?

Set mine about half way, effectively turned to the one end and then turned about 7 clicks back which resulted in the tension nut being centred. As a cleat newbie this has worked for me and this is before they have even "worn in" as has been suggested online. Yes, I have had the odd "fall" where the back wheel has slipped out on a wet root or gravel on rock and I haven't got my foot out in time.

On pedals:

Why eggbeaters, more chance of pressure issues because of smaller contact point.

No matter what manufacturer says what, SPD's have trouble with mud (especially when it is walked into the bottom of the shoe.

That is something i HATED about them. That and the amount of float etc are why I moved to Time pedals. In the x years of riding with them I have NEVER had a mud problem and they are more comfortable than any pedal I have ever ridden with. Just got my 3rd set yesterday.

Yes, I have had the odd "fall" where the back wheel has slipped out on a wet root or gravel on rock and I haven't got my foot out in time.

That happens, but its usually so seldom that it isnt an issue in the bigger picture.