Enduro - interesting read

wesley_r

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome article, I did the enduro at cascades a month or so ago and keen on the next one at Giba Gorge.

Really nice format, hope it takes off here.

Awesome article, I did the enduro at cascades a month or so ago and keen on the next one at Giba Gorge.

Really nice format, hope it takes off here.

Remember you can enter for the Giba one on Roag ... I entered today! :thumbup:

I saw that on twitter today, still have to read the full write-up, seen a few videos of this being done in the United States, looks like a lot of fun.

Gah! please someone organise something like this in joburg. or the magaliesburg. or somewhere with hills near joburg.....

or maybe i should just move to somewhere with downhill trails....

Edited by HaydenWilson

And as for Super D? As far as we're concerned that's more of an XC race, the low-fat, vegan-friendly version of enduro. Lycra has no place in a real enduro race, nor does racing up the climbs.

So they are punting it as a format for image conscious, not so fit, "we're so much better than you" types?

So they are punting it as a format for image conscious, not so fit, "we're so much better than you" types?

You should probably YouTube some of these guys in action and decide for yourself how fit (or unfit) they are. It's an awesome discipline and loads of fun.

No, they are punting it as a form of racing where bike skills are as important, or more so, than xc style fitness. Read the article

You should probably YouTube some of these guys in action and decide for yourself how fit (or unfit) they are. It's an awesome discipline and loads of fun.

I do not argue that it is fun but why bother trying to diss other disciplines in the article.

No, they are punting it as a form of racing where bike skills are as important, or more so, than xc style fitness. Read the article

Note the section I quoted? Notice that it was in the article? Perhaps that should be a hint that I did read it but rather than being impressed I was left pondering why one discipline always has to have a dig at another... hence my comments!

What difference should it make if a person wears lycra, baggies or underpants? And why diss XC? Again, I'll reiterate, it is this stupid "we're better than you attitude".

PS I do not have a "discipline", I just ride my bike and enjoy it so I do not have sides to take.

Edited by Clint_ZA

I do not argue that it is fun but why bother trying to diss other disciplines in the article.

Not the section I quoted? Notice that it was in the article? Perhaps that should be a hint that I did read it bit rather than being impressed I was left pondering why one discipline always has to have a dig at another... hence my comments!

What difference should it make if a person wears lycra, baggies or underpants? And why diss XC? Again, I'll reiterate, it is this stupid "we're better than you attitude".

PS I do not have a "discipline", I just ride my bike and enjoy it so I do not have sides to take.

ah CLint.. can you please read it for what it is and stop reading something into the article that does not exist..

"And as for Super D? As far as we're concerned that's more of an XC race, the low-fat, vegan-friendly version of enduro. Lycra has no place in a real enduro race, nor does racing up the climbs. Generally you should expect to bring at least a good set of kneepads and, here in Europe, your full-face helmet. In the UK full-face helmets aren't compulsory (yet), but in Italy and France they are very necessary for the terrain."

You sir are welcome to bring your finest lycra.. you will of course be wearing your protection on the outside - and the full face helmet might make you look like something fitting on a dashboard! boing boing boing, get it?

Stop pondering, it says it is a race downhill, if you must continue, you'll want padding under your lycra then!

Not the section I quoted? Notice that it was in the article? Perhaps that should be a hint that I did read it bit rather than being impressed I was left pondering why one discipline always has to have a dig at another... hence my comments!

They did not diss XC in any part of the article.

They just stated that there are races that call themselves Enduro but are actually XCM type races. An enduro racer who enters such an event and arrive with his burly AM bike will be dissapointed.

The caption below the one photo says: " This is definitely not XC" That is not dissing XC in any way, they just stated a fact.

The lycra part: Some XC racers might feel offended, but hey, many XC racers have a lot to say about people who wear baggies and backpacks(to carry elbow and knee guards). Once again here they stated a fact, it is a safety issue, if you wear lycra while doing enduro you will be a lot worse off after a fall than you would be while wearing super strong baggies.

Edited by 4M41_Jero

Gah! please someone organise something like this in joburg. or the magaliesburg. or somewhere with hills near joburg.....

or maybe i should just move to somewhere with downhill trails....

Just come down to durbs for the weekend ... there is the Enduro on the Sat then the provincial DH on the Sunday ... Giba also has accomodation ... EVERYTHING ...