• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean it is alot more money,

True. You cannot beat the Koreans on value and their cars are good

Hi-jack on...

If you look at just the maths and take out the emotion of buying a new car, this is what you get.

Most people are worried about consumption, consumption, consumption. The difference between 7lt/100 km and 10lt/100km is 3lt/100km. (easy)

Then say you drive 2000km/month, thats an extra 60lt of petrol per month. Estimated at R11/lt you are looking at R660/month saving if you go with the smaller engine and R39 600 over a 5 year period.

If one was smart, they would just buy a demo model and one would probably save that amount off the price. Or simply buy a cheaper car.

hi-jack off... B)

Hi-jack on...

If you look at just the maths and take out the emotion of buying a new car, this is what you get.

Most people are worried about consumption, consumption, consumption. The difference between 7lt/100 km and 10lt/100km is 3lt/100km. (easy)

Then say you drive 2000km/month, thats an extra 60lt of petrol per month. Estimated at R11/lt you are looking at R660/month saving if you go with the smaller engine and R39 600 over a 5 year period.

If one was smart, they would just buy a demo model and one would probably save that amount off the price. Or simply buy a cheaper car.

hi-jack off... B)

Good thinking. In some instances the price difference alone between a diesel and equivalent petrol model can be that R39 600 so even with better consumption you are no better off. (Still have to factor in difference in price between diesel and petrol though)

Saved a quick R50k on the Ranger by buying a demo.

Did a back to back test Drive of the KIA sportage and the VW Tiguan 118kw 1.4TSI

The quality of the interior is much much better on the VW

The Kia feels bigger but is alot slower from a stand still it also felt more sluggish up the hill that I tested the cars on.

All in all the Tiguan is the clear winner in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Hi Lulep

I work at a VW dealership and the 1.4 tsi is the top selling Tiguan in the range, Fuel consumption is awesome and the resale on the 1.4 tsi is much better than the bigger engined Tiguan`s.

PS......I am not in the sales dept

Hi Shaun, I bought a 2011 1.4TSI Tiguan today and on my way back from JHB to Mokopane it only gave me 9,3L/100km

do you think something might be wrong?

regards Etienne 0825692592

Hi Shaun, I bought a 2011 1.4TSI Tiguan today and on my way back from JHB to Mokopane it only gave me 9,3L/100km

do you think something might be wrong?

regards Etienne 0825692592

Moenie die kar te laag laat rev nie, al sê dit jy moet ratte verander... Dit bly steeds 'n klein engin, hou rev's bo 2000/rpm. Dit maak 'n groot verskil in die brandstof verbruik.

Cant go wrong with the diesel, they are little slow off the mark, but your not buying a dragster after all.

2012 should still have a fair chunk of maintenance & warranty left on it, if buying from a dealer I highly suggest putting another 15 to 20k down and have the warranty / maintenance plan upped to 150 000km or 180 000km. One broken fuel pump- rails & injector and you have R35000 bill.

I don't know much about the VW diesels but from a few hundred thousand km's of 4x4 diesel ownership my view is to be careful about two things with turbo diesels.

1. Change the oil at least as regularly as indicated, maybe at shorter intervals. Use good quality oil, maybe synthetic. Don't be tempted to skimp.

2. Beware of diesel quality, particularly in modern engines. Try always use lowest sulphur (at least as specified) and from a reputable service station.

Don't waste your money..... It is tiny inside. Zero boot space for your riding gear. Rather look at a Hyundai IX35..... Awesome value for money.

Go diesel all the way....

All just my personal opinion