Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

So I always see folks on here slagging off the use of saddle bags so I need to ask, how do you carry your tools etc? I am not a fan of Camelbaks which I assume is the one alternative (I am satisfied with two bottles in cages) so what else is there?

I am looking at a spare tube, multi tool, tube repair kit, tyre levers, cellphone, cash, powerlinks, keys etc....

Edited by Clint_ZA

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry the following in my pockets:

Mobile Phone, Multitool, Pump (swap for CO2 Bombs at races), Quick Link, Tire levers, Tube, all food GU etc, Land Access No (do not attach to bike) and if it looks like it is going to rain a rain jacket.

Then there is also still space on the way home to put leggings and sleeves in as well if it warms up. (OK then I look a bit like a pack donkey but so be it)

This is why shirts have pockets, not so?

Use an old water bottle. I've got a cylinder which fites into the water bottle cage that works weel but goint to rather use an old bottle to also store a cellphone in. A lot of guys duct tape the spare tube to saddle post.

I carry the following in my pockets:

Mobile Phone, Multitool, Pump (swap for CO2 Bombs at races), Quick Link, Tire levers, Tube, all food GU etc, Land Access No (do not attach to bike) and if it looks like it is going to rain a rain jacket.

Then there is also still space on the way home to put leggings and sleeves in as well if it warms up. (OK then I look a bit like a pack donkey but so be it)

This is why shirts have pockets, not so?

My shirt pockets take any food that I feel I need. Usually fruit. Form what I have read having tools in your shirt poses a safety risk when crashing. A multi-tool/pump stabbing can't be too pleasant?

Use an old water bottle. I've got a cylinder which fites into the water bottle cage that works weel but goint to rather use an old bottle to also store a cellphone in. A lot of guys duct tape the spare tube to saddle post.

I've seen the duct tape but I really fail to understand why a tube duct tapped to a seat post if so much coooler than a saddle bag though :) Someone spends 10s of thousands on a bike and then tries his hardest to look minimilist by using duct tape. Unless I am totally missing the true and valid reason for not using one.

The water bottle idea is cool but it would mean losing some water which would mean needing a camelbak which would resolve the issue anyway.

Edited by Clint_ZA

So I always see folks on here slagging off the use of saddle bags so I need to ask, how do you carry your tools etc? I am not a fan of Camelbaks which I assume is the one alternative (I am satisfied with two bottles in cages) so what else is there?

I am looking at a spare tube, multi tool, tube repair kit, tyre levers, cellphone, cash, powerlinks, keys etc....

those people are probably the same people that stand on the side of the track asking for spares when something goes wrong, as far as I know one can do the following with regards to spares

1. camelbak

2. saddle bag

3. tool bottle (fits in bottle cage)

4 shirt pockets

5. saddle bag that straps to the frame round about the stem area

6. not take any, and be the chop asking to lend spares :cursing:

Also using a saddle bag. The problem with everything in your shirt is that your shirt is pulling down on you and if you fall well that’s another story.

Cool. I am shopping for a saddle bag as we speak and cannot understand the issue with them. I asked as some seem so opposed to them that I was wondering how they carry everything.

Carry everything in your back pockets ... handbags are for pansies and mountainbikers

Carry everything in your back pockets ... handbags are for pansies and mountainbikers

Well it's ok for me to have one then...

... and touring! ;)

... and touring! ;)

Ja Flymango ... I know you like to take a picnic basket full of food along but riding 20km on your mud bike doesn't qualify as "touring"

;)

Well it's ok for me to have one then...

Sorry Clint I meant to say:

Carry everything in your back pockets ... handbags are for pansy and mountainbikers

Ja Flymango ... I know you like to take a picnic basket full of food along but riding 20km on your mud bike doesn't qualify as "touring"

;)

Sorry Clint I meant to say:

Depend how long you take to ride 20km's!!

Hi Everyone

A good friend of mine owns the following company

http://www.thepocpac.com/water-resistant-cycling-pouch

Have a look at the website and see about his product. The pouches are great and strong and I put everything in them from spares to house keys. They are available throughout the Western Cape at most cycle shops and they expanding to rest of SA soon. Give him a tinkle via the contact page.

My cycling 'mentor' told me more than 20 years ago:-

"To look cool, ride without a tubby bag. Put one small tube, a mini pump and one tyre lever in your middle back pocket. To look extra-cool, ride without a tubby bag and with nothing in your pockets. This is cool because it means you must have a team car following you with all your spares/tools/food"

I don't like the way tubby bags, as we called them, eventually mark your seatpost especially on an MTB .... I use them on road bikes but use a camelback for long MTB rides (more than an hour) and carry a few important things for shorter rides in my pockets. Worst case if I'm stranded my son will fetch me or I'll walk (has happened)

My cycling 'mentor' told me more than 20 years ago:-

"To look cool, ride without a tubby bag. Put one small tube, a mini pump and one tyre lever in your middle back pocket. To look extra-cool, ride without a tubby bag and with nothing in your pockets. This is cool because it means you must have a team car following you with all your spares/tools/food"

There seems to be a lot of this "be cool" attitude that revolves around cycling. Everyone seems preoccupied with how they look.

I don't like the way tubby bags, as we called them, eventually mark your seatpost especially on an MTB .... I use them on road bikes but use a camelback for long MTB rides (more than an hour) and carry a few important things for shorter rides in my pockets. Worst case if I'm stranded my son will fetch me or I'll walk (has happened)

The marking of the seat post is the only thing that puts me off a saddle bag. But then using a camelbak for short rides doesn't seem right either. If we are going to go on about this cool thing, then I think a bottle looks far cooler... :)