1*9 on a 26" XC bike

NotSoBigBen

Still happy that you went with the 1x9?

Im in the process of converting a 3x9 dual sus to 1x9.

Looking at running 34 front on 11-34. The 1:1 on the top end should allow me to climb anything I need to and the 11 should be find to take the flats by storm.

Will update as it goes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am! Have just changed to a short cage X9 RD with the relevant shifter in the meantime ..... seems though that it will only work with a guide.

Still happy that you went with the 1x9?

Im in the process of converting a 3x9 dual sus to 1x9.

Looking at running 34 front on 11-34. The 1:1 on the top end should allow me to climb anything I need to and the 11 should be find to take the flats by storm.

Will update as it goes.

I ran a 38 with an 11:36 on a 26er. Depending on the terrain I would spin out with the 38:11 so you may find yourself running out of gears on a 34 but the 1:1 climbing ratio should probably more than offset the few times you need longer gearing than the 34:11.

I ran a 38 with an 11:36 on a 26er. Depending on the terrain I would spin out with the 38:11 so you may find yourself running out of gears on a 34 but the 1:1 climbing ratio should probably more than offset the few times you need longer gearing than the 34:11.

With this, it depends on what you ride. For example, I hardly ever run out of gears on my hardtail, but then I mostly ride singletrack and tight technical stuff where rapid acceleration is the key, and you hardly ever get all out top end speed on the trail. For me, the 32 I have at the moment works beautifully, and I find the 32-11 to be a bit too hard in terms of gearing when I want to get out and pedal out of a corner or into a transition etc.

For general dirt roadie type riding though, I know what you mean. I'd probably change to a 36 in that case, as the snappy acceleration isn't that much of a need versus the top end speed and higher ground clearance that you have with a 32.

But horses for courses, as they say.

And yes - you cannot get by without a guide. I'm actually going to make one myself out of some plexiglass sometime. Really easy things to put together, they are...

As I said at the outset I built this bike for a specific purpose (route even) and that is for my weekday training ride that is 3 k's of flattish ride to the Rietvlei XC course and then back again .... works perfectly for that!

Wouldn't take it out for anything else .... just wondering are SRAM aiming XX1 at this type of ride (XCO) or even for XCM riders?

As I said at the outset I built this bike for a specific purpose (route even) and that is for my weekday training ride that is 3 k's of flattish ride to the Rietvlei XC course and then back again .... works perfectly for that!

Wouldn't take it out for anything else .... just wondering are SRAM aiming XX1 at this type of ride (XCO) or even for XCM riders?

I think it's aimed at either XCO or aggressive trail. If I had the dosh, and I was looking for a new gruppo, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Appeals to me. It basically gives you pretty much all the ratios you need for AM / Trail riding whilst maximizing ground clearance at the BB, and maximizing space on the bars.

Finished the conversion last night.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

For those looking for XC chainguides... Grant Usher has stock of the Paul and Gusset chainguides.

• 10 months later...