Putting together tool list to get.

awesme

One thing I do need is a decent/robust tyre pressure gauge , one that can do Presta and Schrader , that's not digital . Weight/size is not a concern but it must be really well made , I haven't found one yet that's under R350.

This Weldtite one is quite a bit cheaper than that…

post-1604-0-03659600-1341823367.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great quality side cutters or cable cutter.

Even the best side cutters take a strain snipping a brake or gear cable, the whole geometry is different to a cable cutter as are the cutting faces, which are almost square (c.f. to side cutters which are chiselled) and chances are the side cutters will get messed up cutting cables so an investment in a cable cutter is a good choice for a basic tool kit.

Yamalube waterproof blue grease is R65 for 500g + 20ml syringe = awesome grease gun that's cheap , non-messy and you can pump directly into bearing races.

The Yamalube is used in outboard boat engines , has extreme water resistance , ride through rivers , then ride 40km , grease + bearings still perfect :)

You can do the same with anti-seize + 20ml syringe.

The tub of anti-seize and Yamalube will probably last for decades.

I undid some bolts my father tighten 30yrs before , the anti-seize was still fresh and doing its job and the original tin it came out of was next to me still 1/3 fill...

This Weldtite one is quite a bit cheaper than that…

post-1604-0-03659600-1341823367.png

Ja and its also not going to last terribly long!

Probably does the job though but I want an analog one , made out of metal.

Must look and work like a swiss watch :)

How do the weight weenies weigh their bikes/components :ph34r:

A good Digital kitchen scale is good for components - can weigh parts up to 5kg's

Yamalube waterproof blue grease is R65 for 500g + 20ml syringe = awesome grease gun that's cheap , non-messy and you can pump directly into bearing races.

The Yamalube is used in outboard boat engines , has extreme water resistance , ride through rivers , then ride 40km , grease + bearings still perfect :)

You can do the same with anti-seize + 20ml syringe.

The tub of anti-seize and Yamalube will probably last for decades.

I undid some bolts my father tighten 30yrs before , the anti-seize was still fresh and doing its job and the original tin it came out of was next to me still 1/3 fill...

Where would I get this? Got some standard grease from the Bike shop which I used for my BB and crank which I overhauled on the weekend. Got new ball bearings for my Hubs which I was going to do tonight. You reckon this lube is better than the bike shop stuff? When I cleaned by Hubs the grease in there was blue...

I have been putting together a basic tool set - will post tonight what I bought and costs. Was not that expensive to be honest. I can do everything now I reckon aside from a fork service. I shall attempt that next year though :D

Ja and its also not going to last terribly long!

Probably does the job though but I want an analog one , made out of metal.

Must look and work like a swiss watch :)

Yeah, my kids brought my brother this one for his birthday…

post-1604-0-94289100-1341824385.jpg

…and I got the cheapie… :huh:

Edited by Tumbleweed

I bought this toolkit a while back, it is a bit pricey and there are a few tools that i wont ever use as it covers a few different bikes. but it is great, the quality is fantastic. you can also just find the list of tools you actually need and get them off CRC.

also, you need a proper bike stand, makes working on your bike a lot easier...

Park Tool Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit - AK37

Designed specifically for the home mechanic that wants the best, the AK-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit is a special 37-piece collection of our finest “shop quality” tools, all packaged in a tough tool box. The AK-37 includes all the most frequently used tools, as well as some items a mechanic should not be without – basically, everything needed to perform most repair and maintenance tasks, from brake adjustments to headset overhauls, on the majority of current model bikes.

Park Tool Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit Content:

AWS-1 4, 5, 6mm Hex Wrench Set

AWS-3 2, 2.5, 3mm Y Hex Wrench Set

BBT-5 Bottom Bracket and Freehub Lockring tool for Campagnolo®

BBT-9 Bottom Bracket for 16 notch external crankset system cups

BBT-22 Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool (for 20 tooth internal splines, such as Shimano®, FSA®, etc.)

CC-3 Chain Checker Chain Wear Indicator

CWP-6 Crank Puller for Splined Octalink⪚, ISIS Drive®, and square-taper type

CCW-5 Crank Wrench with 14mm Socket / 8mm Hex

CBW-1 8 and 10mm Open End Wrench

CBW-4 9 and 11mm Open End Wrench

CL-1 Synthetic Blend Clain Lube

CM-5 Cyclone Chain Cleaner

CN-10 Cable Cutter

CNW-2 Chainring Nut Wrench

CT-3 Professional Screw Type Chain Tool

FR-5 Cassette Lockring Tool for Shimano® and similar brands

GP-2 Pre-Glued Patch Kit

GSC-1 GearClean Brush

PPL-1 PolyLube 1000 Grease

PW-3 Professional Pedal Wrench

SCW-13 13mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench

SCW-14 14mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench

SCW-15 15mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench

SCW-16 16mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench

SCW-17 17mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench

SCW-18 18mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench

SCW-19 19mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench

SD-0 Shop Screwdriver #0 Phillips

SD-2 Shop Screwdriver #2 Phillips

SD-6 Shop Screwdriver Straight Blade, 6mm tips

SR-1 Chain Whip and Freewheel/Lockring Wrench

SW-0 Professional Spoke Wrench

SW-1 Professional Spoke Wrench

SW-2 Professional Spoke Wrench

TB-2 Tyre Boot

TL-1 Tyre Levers

post-9048-0-63790200-1341824552.jpg

I am doing a tool renewal, getting rid of damaged and unsharp tools.

I found the new MAKRO to have some nice tools. I got me some new wire cutters and GEDORE screw drivers. Not sure how they comapre to park tools but the range of screwdrivers is more than PT offers.

In my tool box (order of most used):

Allen Keys (Definitely get a decent set)

Screw drivers

Side cutters

Syringe filled with grease

Cassette remover (also used to remove rotors)

el cheapo BB tool

el cheapo chain whip

BBB torque wrench

bicycle tool (Sometimes you need 2 of the same size allen keys or you missplace the most coomon sized one)

duct tape

Clothspaper towel for hand wipes

Floor pump is what i also use alot and need to invest in a goodnew one soon.

How do the weight weenies weigh their bikes/components :ph34r:

They look down their trousers and if they can still see their todgers then their components are too heavy. :ph34r:

it's prissy from me to me day :D today

Thanks TheV and DHL :)

Topeak stand, and some more bits, nice little start

G

Yeah, my kids brought my brother this one for his birthday…

post-1604-0-94289100-1341824385.jpg

…and I got the cheapie… :huh:

Yeah thats what I'm talking about!!

Where would I get this? Got some standard grease from the Bike shop which I used for my BB and crank which I overhauled on the weekend. Got new ball bearings for my Hubs which I was going to do tonight. You reckon this lube is better than the bike shop stuff? When I cleaned by Hubs the grease in there was blue...

I have been putting together a basic tool set - will post tonight what I bought and costs. Was not that expensive to be honest. I can do everything now I reckon aside from a fork service. I shall attempt that next year though :D

Its hugely better than any non-waterproof grease no matter how good it is....

Look at what water does to the BB and lower headset bearings if the grease aint waterproof. The LBS actually recomended it to me , they use it on all their services and had 2 bikes come in after doing a marathon over a few days that invloved fording rivers/bearings submerged , one had been serviced by them with yamalube - all bearings still packed with grease and hundreds , other bike had been serviced else where and with normal grease - all submerged bearings shot.

If water contaminates a bearing with waterproof grease you safe , if the grease is not waterproof the bearing will be shot unless you immediately repack it with grease. So either you use something waterproof like yamalube or do sh1te loads of maintanence or alternatively spend sh1tloads on replacing bearings.

Yamalube can be bought from most boat shops (I got mine from a mercury boat delearship) or ordered from any yamaha bike shop ( they may have in stock)

I paid R68 for a 435g tub - thats why the lbs use it , its cheap and awesome!!!

Look at what water does to the BB and lower headset bearings if the grease aint waterproof. The LBS actually recomended it to me , they use it on all their services and had 2 bikes come in after doing a marathon over a few days that invloved fording rivers/bearings submerged , one had been serviced by them with yamalube - all bearings still packed with grease and hundreds , other bike had been serviced else where and with normal grease - all submerged bearings shot.

If water contaminates a bearing with waterproof grease you safe , if the grease is not waterproof the bearing will be shot unless you immediately repack it with grease. So either you use something waterproof like yamalube or do sh1te loads of maintanence or alternatively spend sh1tloads on replacing bearings.

Yamalube can be bought from most boat shops (I got mine from a mercury boat delearship) or ordered from any yamaha bike shop ( they may have in stock)

Waterproof grease is a myth. It contains some calcium soap which emulsifies slilghty...only slightly, less easily than lithium soap. Once you understand bearings and water intrusion, you'll realise that the fancy grease is a foo-fee.

Thanks - ordered some from Motosports in Hillcrest. Was going to go to Perry Yamaha but going to Umhlanga is a schlep during the week. The guy said its about R100, getting the one with the squirt gun and cartridges to get into the hub.

The other grease I have is Motorex Bike Grease 2000 - says it's highly water repellent :wacko: