Edit: this bit below added

• you should have asked ...
  • the shop should have disclosed if there was a fee to be charged up front

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, don't most petrol station pumps require something to compress the "piepietjie" in the middle of the inflator nozzle before air willcome out?

No , hve used a garage to pump up wheels more times then i can remember on both my road bike and tubless setups .

garage compressors are set to 6 bar so you can never over inflate a raod wheel but you can on a mtb.

i have like 5 of these adaptors and keep some in my tool kit when i ride so if i need to stop at a garage it makes life easy.

No , hve used a garage to pump up wheels more times then i can remember on both my road bike and tubless setups .

garage compressors are set to 6 bar so you can never over inflate a raod wheel but you can on a mtb.

i have like 5 of these adaptors and keep some in my tool kit when i ride so if i need to stop at a garage it makes life easy.

Iron ... a little hint.

Keep one screwed onto either the front or back wheels valve for every bike. The day you are looking for one it is usually at home and home is far away from where you are.

Um, don't most petrol station pumps require something to compress the "piepietjie" in the middle of the inflator nozzle before air willcome out?

not with the adaptor i showed.

Iron ... a little hint.

Keep one screwed onto either the front or back wheels valve for every bike. The day you are looking for one it is usually at home and home is far away from where you are.

Nice one , thanks .

i keep them in my liitle tool kit i carry . but you sir have a fine idea.

@Iron

Thats how dumb I am. I had one of those things in my pocket on my way to a garage. The LBS happened to be nearer so in my naivety I went there there instead.

Afterwards I was thinking. What if I had refused to pay and instructed them to rather deflate the tyre so that I can go elsewhere. Would that mean I would be charged another R20 for his labour in deflating the tyre?? :whistling:

Keep one screwed onto either the front or back wheels valve for every bike.

That makes you look like a funrider :ph34r:

My public service announcement for the day:

I normally remove the valve core and have a piece 8mm pneumatic pipe with a compressor quick connect on the other end which I slide over the valve. I then set the compressor regulator to 2 Bar and just plug the pipe in for maximum airflow. This works for the most loose fitting tyre you can find.

Then one day not thinking I plugged the pipe in at my local BP garage not realising that the regulator was set at 8 Bar. Eina Bliksem. The tyre exploded off the rim destroying the rim and spokes and causing all the staff to dive for cover. My ears were singing for 2 days and my hand was swolen purple where the tyre hit it.

DO NOT DO THIS

Yesterday i was quoted R150 to box my bike - I said, naaaa, can do that myself. So here I went, proud as I am - had to buy a role of duct tape R 50, didn't have bubble wrap (and Builders only sell boxes for R 100), get the box into my car, drive back and fourth etc.plus spend an hour in my garage.... should have just gone with it... nothing's for free and I do understand that LBS try and get their money back - they should also have just told you in advance though.

@Iron

Thats how dumb I am. I had one of those things in my pocket on my way to a garage. The LBS happened to be nearer so in my naivety I went there there instead.

Afterwards I was thinking. What if I had refused to pay and instructed them to rather deflate the tyre so that I can go elsewhere. Would that mean I would be charged another R20 for his labour in deflating the tyre?? :whistling:

The fact that you had one and knowingly still went through to the LBS i will also be charging you R20 for my time invested in this forum.

Iron ... a little hint.

Thanks hairy that is great advise, i have bought a few of those and never used them once because i can never find them

@Iron

We learn something everyday my friend .

now do them yourself next time .

Yesterday i was quoted R150 to box my bike - I said, naaaa, can do that myself. So here I went, proud as I am - had to buy a role of duct tape R 50, didn't have bubble wrap (and Builders only sell boxes for R 100), get the box into my car, drive back and fourth etc.plus spend an hour in my garage.... should have just gone with it... nothing's for free and I do understand that LBS try and get their money back - they should also have just told you in advance though.

I'll box your bike for R150, bring it to me next time.

Ja, I dont see the point. Yes R20 deem it a fair price, how can one expect a service to be free. Should somthing be for free then it is probably because of years of support, or as a courtesy.