Ripped off or just hard times?

edkin

Nobody works for free. That's called wellfare. If you don't want to pay , learn to do it yourself and stop whining about R20

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However as it was only R20 I'm going to consider it school fees and move on. Still, R20 to blow up a tyre? Maybe the service stations should also start charging. :devil:

I took the F650GS out a few months ago. Stopped at a service station on my way to Delmas to fuel up. Did so, took off and felt the front wheel was a bit on the flat side. So turned around to ait up, but at another pump. So the bloke comes and tells me I have to pay R5-00. I gave him a look of try me, this MX boot will fit up your arse. Showed him my petrol slip, and he then left me to inflate the wheel.

Take it he wanted to make a quick buck out of me...

Nobody works for free. That's called wellfare. If you don't want to pay , learn to do it yourself and stop whining about R20

I feel I do some days, but thats another story. Whats wrong with doing stuff for free? It's called helping out, we do it, and people come back for the level of service, funny that. Like someone else said, they should then start chargeing you for pumping your car tyres, gosh there is four of them, R20 a tyre, R80 everytime, I don't think so? There are certain occasions and instances where things should be done for no charge, I think this was one such time.

@ Spark. Hmm.. I had the idea that welfare was defined as getting money for free without having to work for it. Never mind. Thanks for your most eloquent post.Your message was loud and clear. I will definitely take it with me in future. No more whining from me :thumbup:

I feel I do some days, but thats another story. Whats wrong with doing stuff for free? It's called helping out, we do it, and people come back for the level of service, funny that. Like someone else said, they should then start chargeing you for pumping your car tyres, gosh there is four of them, R20 a tyre, R80 everytime, I don't think so? There are certain occasions and instances where things should be done for no charge, I think this was one such time.

:thumbup:

Probably time to put this topic to bed.

Thanks to all those guys who posted up constructive and informative comments. Much appreciated.

To all those who missed the point of the topic completely. You don't know who you are but I had some good chuckles at your posts. They were also appreciated for different reasons.

I love the hub :clap:

Good to hear that. I had a great time exploring the routes around the George dam. Next time I come up there maybe we can get together and give each other a big hug? :D

my LBS helps me out without charge, also regreased / service my bikes, no charge, but I always leave about R100... odd to the guys to buy themselves lunch / coolies etc.

Just brilliant customer service, I dont expect freebies, but also cant accept it for free.

Well if you go to your LBS in Cape Town they probably wont charge you..... they will make up the $$ with your next purchase...

So R20.00 labour charge is fair i think .....But thats my opinion .........

Huh?? I paid R80 for loosening the BB on my Mountain bike frame.. Took the guy less than 10 secs. talk about ripoff...

Huh?? I paid R80 for loosening the BB on my Mountain bike frame.. Took the guy less than 10 secs. talk about ripoff...

Oh yeah, and his wife who works in the office laughed and said it's the quickest R80 they've ever made.Some bike shops really suck!!

Ok. To summarise the message I got from all the relevant posts

1) R20 for 5 minutes work translates to R240 per hour (Most of the thread respondents felt thats fair)

2) My mistake was not to inquire up front before the work was done.

3) Ethically the LBS should have informed me of any charges up front. However it can be taken as said that any LBS can assume that anybody wanting any work done is prepared to pay for it. However small the job might be.

Thanks again to all the people who put up constructive comments. Two great tips also came out of this thread

1) Cut off a valve cap when pumping up at a garage

2) Screw the valve adaptor to the "piepetjie" to avoid loss at critical times.

I've written them down. Thanks guys