why do they still make 26 inch bikes if 29ers are clearly the way forward?

29er-norman

If it is a burning question I'll much rather settle for a good anti biotic topical cream....

I will let you know, I have passion in my pants and I ain't afraid to show it.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mate of mine on his one punched a tree hard while following me.

What did the tree do to deserve that?

26 well thought out, 29 well thought out.

Betweener at the moment , some work to be done, mud clearance is barely doable on the last two versions we had.

My take on the 650 b's.

http://www.wrestlingarsenal.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ReddieTighties-239x450.jpg

Edited by FAW

:w00t: from hairy legs to someone's passion in his pants! off topic is an understatement here. Someone change to topic to "whatever floats your boat" :whistling:

What did the tree do to deserve that?

tried to pick up his girlfriend, looked at him funny. Not really sure.

Could have just been a lack of technique thing and its not fair to blame the bike. but normally he matches me fine so not sure what happened there...

26 well thought out, 29 well thought out.

Betweener at the moment , some work to be done, mud clearance is barely doable on the last to versions we had.

My take on the 650 b's.

Take a look at the clearance on some 29r's, it may shock you ...... 2 that surprised me, my boets Niner Jet 9 (alu) as well as my Momsen AL329

Because not everyone wants a 29er. I personally prefer 26er, but hey. Different strokes. Fast forward 2 years and you'll probably say this about 29er's with 650B coming into fashion.

I think that plays a HUGE part...

Take a look at the clearance on some 29r's, it may shock you ...... 2 that surprised me, my boets Niner Jet 9 (alu) as well as my Momsen AL329

No shock to me at all.

That's why I said this :

mud clearance is barely doable on the last two versions we had.

3 of us had very muddy ride 2 weeks ago. The 29er and 26er got stuck in the mud(Both have Rock Shox Recon Forks). The wheels could not turn anymore. The KHS 650b had no problem(X-fusion Fork). It have the most clearance at the back wheel as well.

3 of us had very muddy ride 2 weeks ago. The 29er and 26er got stuck in the mud(Both have Rock Shox Recon Forks). The wheels could not turn anymore. The KHS 650b had no problem(X-fusion Fork). It have the most clearance at the back wheel as well.

.......But the bike has been designed around the wheel size.

You will also most likely find that the fork is more suited to 29'er than 26. in terms of arch height.

that hardly makes you qualified to say that 26ers are dead now though, does it? All you've done is ride down faast (straight, maybe?) downhills and UP singletrack (where the bigger wheelsize does admittedly help to get over obstacles if you don't know how to negotiate them by lifting your wheel and powering over them etc)

I have to disagree here. Since getting my 29er a month ago, I've fallen twice. First time was going up singletrack at Tokai, hit a root my 26er normally cruises over and the 29er came to a stop :-) 2nd time was a rock that I thought the wheel would roll over.

You still need to be able to lift your 29er wheels up to get over obstacles and as its not quite as easy (for me) as a 26er.

Edit: SP

Edited by Ratty

Remember there needs to be balance in these things. Larche clearance might be good for mud, but longer stays don't do so well for soeme of the handling characteristics of the bike

.......But the bike has been designed around the wheel size. You will also most likely find that the fork is more suited to 29'er than 26. in terms of arch height.

yup! and Rock Shox have a notoriously low arch clearance height. A Fox on the other hand has a pretty high arch.

Since getting my 29HT a few weeks back iv'e found i am able to quite easily stay with the front riders on my sat ride, whereas my 26 i hung out the back. This got me thinking that i get a better workout on my 26 as i have to work much harder. Still early days and i have not done the whole HR thing but that's my next goal.

I have to disagree here. Since getting my 29er a month ago, I've fallen twice. First time was going up singletrack at Tokai, hit a root my 26er normally cruises over and the 29er came to a stop :-) 2nd time was a rock that I thought the wheel would roll over.

You still need to be able to lift your 29er wheels up to get over obstacles and as its not quite as easy (for me) as a 26er.

Edit: SP

Haha! Ratty, that's just 'cos the ground wanted to give you a hug...

and which tyres did they have on? All the same tyres? If not, then it's not an accurate representation either... Muddy Mary's would shed mud far better than, for example, small block 8's