Pro Classic Series - Western Cape Spring League

andydude

Hi everyone,

I received the email from Cyclelab today stating that they won't be involved in organising the league anymore and that PPA will do it.

This thread has more to do of what you think of the league and whether you have any ideas, comments and/or constructive critism that we can send to PPA.

The league will consist of six events, three PPA funrides, but also two criteriums and one 3km hill climb.

From my side I think they should use more of the regualar funrides for the league and maybe even drop one or both of the criteriums. And I don't really think Malans should count as a hill climb. Not that I'm a climbing goat, but I'm sure a Franschoek pass will be better for a hill climb time trial.

If you include the hill climb and criteriums, the cost also seems a bit excessive.

What do you think?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree

If you think the entry is about R750 (excluding team entry)

That means you are paying effectively R150 to cycle up Malans in about 4-5 min? (As well as R150 to cycle for one hour round a block - You can get that for R30 at Killarney)

The spring league is not currently looking like good value for money...

Any info on the 3 day race planned by the pro-classic in Paarl?

The proclassic series last year had only 5 events (origianally three until Cyclelab stepped up to add the Hill climb and crit/circuit races)

This year has one more event for the same /less money.

Andy as a racer do you care if there are 3000 ppl behind you in a funride, or do you want to race? Most races in europe and the states are crits, circuit races and can be up to 150km long on a 10-15km course.

It's not possible to simply bolt on a league race onto a PPA race, plus there are not enough, only three races are eligible to do so, the only one that is not is Klein Joostenburg - and it has never been a PCS event.

Engen dynamic and the One tonner are also not possible due to other constraints - so you see there is no other "bolt on" event possible to use.

The hill climb will not be a mountain goat haven in Spring - which is typically a flatter season, why include a fraanchoek pass race when all the GC contenders are likely to be "non climbers" or rolleurs.

Considering the league fees are covering your safety, marshals, admin, timing, results, and everything else it's really not that much to pay as it includes your ppa race entry fees too, and you will still get the opportunity to win prizemoney. Where else do you find that?

The fact is that there are too many other events in spring to additionally run an 8 race league, there are not enough dates to support it... there is also, One Tonner, Engen dynamic, OFM, Kumba Iron, Shova, 94.7 Die Burger and DC, plus MTB events like karroo to coast, pioneer trek, baviaans (early on)...

The best thing to do is pay your fees, show up to all of the events and race... look at the winter WPCA races...racers cry out for more races, then they put them on and 30 ppl show up... do you think thats encouraging them to keep doing it?

Keep the sport healthy, and that it what the PPA have taken it upon themselves to do, without them and their management it would not happen.

Agree

If you think the entry is about R750 (excluding team entry)

That means you are paying effectively R150 to cycle up Malans in about 4-5 min? (As well as R150 to cycle for one hour round a block - You can get that for R30 at Killarney)

The spring league is not currently looking like good value for money...

Any info on the 3 day race planned by the pro-classic in Paarl?

The hill climb is a bonus event that you cannot expect to separate the entry fees like that for... Ride there, race, ride home. 120km.

Wait until you see the entry fees for the paarl event...plus the petrol in getting there every day.

Killarney is great value, we are very lucky to have it. the PPA actually discussed adding another killarney race or a few to the calendar, but the circuit hire leapt up exponentially for weekends and there are no calendar days available either there.

I would think there should be at least 6 road races. I see criteriums and hill climbs as a nice added extra to spice things up with the points system. The guys want to do road races so at least cater for them since they are charged a steep amount for what they are currently getting

At least we have a structured racing system/league.

Some provinces have nothing off the sort.

Only thing I can add, besides thanks, it to move the hill climb to a tougher climb.

I mean, there's 75m diff from start to finish.

excluding the dip, but really, Ou Kaapse would be good.

Use Bainskloof pass as a mountain time trial. From Bovlei winery it is exactly 12km to the top. Plenty of parking at the winery and the traffic over the pass is not so hectic. Traffic could easily be controled for a couple of hous

Use Bainskloof pass as a mountain time trial. From Bovlei winery it is exactly 12km to the top. Plenty of parking at the winery and the traffic over the pass is not so hectic. Traffic could easily be controled for a couple of hous

Theres a great idea!!

Hill climb! Only a few can win. So why have it so far out, what about the green house gasses? If PPA / WPCA has a Hill climb surely it need to be close enough to both southern and northern sub! So what PPA / WPCA has offered fits this. Guys you complain about a R35 rand CSA levy but you prepared to spend how much on getting an event - not to mention your carbon foot print.

Hill climb! Only a few can win. So why have it so far out, what about the green house gasses? If PPA / WPCA has a Hill climb surely it need to be close enough to both southern and northern sub! So what PPA / WPCA has offered fits this. Guys you complain about a R35 rand CSA levy but you prepared to spend how much on getting an event - not to mention your carbon foot print.

Get a lift then at least you dont contribute to the carbon footprint :whistling:

9 times out of 10 I only go to races when their are at least 2 or more of us in my car - it is just waist fully otherwise - I cannot remember when last I asked for any contributions towards giving a lift to anybody, but I view this as reducing my carbon foot print by half and hopefully their is more than 1 so by 66 percent!

But then I started cycling, some 30 years back to school, to reduce pollution and pollution only - I am probably still way a head of my time looking at how some of your comments!

9 times out of 10 I only go to races when their are at least 2 or more of us in my car - it is just waist fully otherwise - I cannot remember when last I asked for any contributions towards giving a lift to anybody, but I view this as reducing my carbon foot print by half and hopefully their is more than 1 so by 66 percent!

But then I started cycling, some 30 years back to school, to reduce pollution and pollution only - I am probably still way a head of my time looking at how some of your comments!

I said that tongue in cheak bud! I respect your views so pls don't jump on a moral horse

Man you just have a bee in your bonnet because you weigh to little ;-)

I've only ever ridden league when cycle lab was running it. I hope the fees will come down a whole lot now that PPA are in the control again.

The PPA has undertaken to run the league in full support of CSA and help them but running a league in conjunction with WPCA who are the actual CSA appointed body in the WC. As such theyneed to make sure that the racing snakes are looked after in accordance with the CSA rules.

This means money needs to be spent on Commissaires, Propper timing, photo finishes, as well as increased safety bysing the think bike marshalls.

All of the above incur costs, and that is what sets the League apart from merely running seeded groups where all the A seeds race each other and B ...etc etc. Unless you want to go race in seeded groups where your Race Team will effectively be useless as they are not all seeded the same, meaning all team sponsors will pull out of racing and you'll be back on the pavement paying for everything in your cycling yourself.

The money is NOT ALOT when you consider one tubular tire can be over R1000. One Dura ace Cassette is more... you spend thousands on carbon bikes, Shoes are thousands, and carbon bottle cages the list goes on... Have some perspective, and have some gratitude for the people that are working all year to make sure you have an event to take your shiny bike to the start line for.

Ask how much a MTB race entry fee is? I remember paying close on R350 for ONE event - the Gravel Travel, Only 75km, one day...

I completely agree with iCycling...why have a hill climb 100km away from everyone? and yes maybe the ascent is only 75m but it's as hard as you ride it, hell a flat TT for 6km can be murder.

I've been preparing to race the Vets League in Spring after many seasons of wondering about it.

I like the shift away from just road races to various forms of racing.