3 x10 to 2 x 10

Hey hubbers

So my family all clubbed in and got me a new silverback storm 1 really wicked. I did a 60km ride this morning and I did battle a bit with gearing in trying to find a good constant cadance/rhythm is it just a matter of time to get used to it or do I need to change my training cause I average between 160-190km a week

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just takes a bit of time to get used to, dude. Like any new addition to the bike!

And congrats for that, by the way... Got a keeper there!

what he said....

what he said....

Yeah. I'm still getting used to the 1x9 on my hardtail. Miss the granny on the long, drawn out hills, but it just makes me stronger at the end of the day. I don't miss the big ring at all, but that's just because i don't ride jeeptrack when there's perfectly good, technical st right there, that takes you to the same place.

switched over to 2x10 nearly a year ago and will never go back to 3x anything.. riding 28,42 in front and 11-36 at the back. I am not the strongest oke on the block, but never had an issue with gearing.

i have been helluva chuffed with my 2x10. Have only really kept it on the bigger chainring and have found i have more than enough gears. On a 26" i am running 42-28 in the front and 11-36 in the back. The 36 in the back definetely prevents me from needing to go into that 28 chainring. A brill combination if you ask me

edit: snap with RollandBounce on the combo

Edited by Stretch

Did a solid 115km yesterday on the new 29'er. After lots of soul searching I decided to stay old school, so I put on a 42/32/22. Guys on here said that a 2 ring setup with a 30/42 was too big and you'd struggle up the hills. Yesterday I pushed 32x36 up VERY steep hills. So ja, even with a 30 in the front you'll be fine.

+1 on all the comments above.

Front chainring configurations should be in the region of 1 / 1.5.

IE, 26/39 (26*1.5=39)

On a 29er, you need more power to get going, so the recommendation for F chain-ring ratios are 26/39 or 27/40.

Anything bigger than that you WILL STRUGGLE!!!!!!

Like mentioned on top by Azonic, riding a 30, IT IS TOO BIG!!!!

If you want to ride a 42 big blade, you will need the smaller chain-ring to be 28, or the ratios will be to big between jumps when you change gears on the cassette.

Remember, we ride MTB,'s and the jump in tooth count is not a 1+1+1+1+1 like on "most" roadbike configurations.

Jumps are sometimes 2 - 3 teeth at a go, so with your chainring ratios out, you will feel one gear is too big and the next too small.

Get your chain-ring ratios sorted for the bike you ride, and 2x10 will be the best move you made since you started using the internet for information research!!!

Happy hooping

If you just switched to 29er ride the 3x10 for 4 to 6 weeks trying to avoid your small ring while you get your strength up then switch to 2x10 38 or 39 with a 26 or 28 depending how strong you are and you will never go back to 3x10 after that, yes, you are short a top end and bottom end but offroad over 50km/h shouldnt be neccessary and you will occasionally be short on the granny gear side but just stand up and get over the top its generally for very short distances the steep climbs anyway.

My new bike is 2x10... Only done one spruit ride and one breedtsnek ride and very happy!!! 3x10 has a lot of redundant gear ratios... On the 2x10 you'll shift less. Just gonna take time to get to know your gears.

I bought 29er a month ago and felt the same thing, feels like you dont need the small ring at all.............exept going up a vodacom tower :D

So to say if I can keep up riding without the small ring I could go to 2*10?

I am switching from 3x9 26" with 11-34 to 2x10 29" with 11-36, but will be running 38-24 rings

Just waiting for one or two parts before the build takes place.

I did all these gear ratio calcs etc but at the end of the day it is what you like using and are comfortable with, my 38 /26 11-36 is perfect for me as a master, when riding offroad I do find I change more often between my front chain rings than before as it is quicker when maintaining momentum and speed than jumping up and down the rear cassette. remember a 29er requires momentum particularly on the hills so dont go too small on the front rings rather test a bike with a 24 front ring first.