Selecting the right "tools for the job" - what type of bike should I buy?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting research in published in Journal of Sports Science and Medicine on Effect of the Rotor crank system on cycling performance indicated that:

"The benefits of the Rotor system might therefore be gained by infrequent use (perhaps at key races). This might explain why, for non-habituated Rotor users, Santalla et al. (2002) reported an improvement in delta efficiency but, in a group that included habitual Rotor users, Lucia et al. (2004) did not."

By implication, you get used to the effect over time and then end up where you were before fitting them. Is that not the same with 29ers?

Interesting research in published in Journal of Sports Science and Medicine on Effect of the Rotor crank system on cycling performance indicated that:

"The benefits of the Rotor system might therefore be gained by infrequent use (perhaps at key races). This might explain why, for non-habituated Rotor users, Santalla et al. (2002) reported an improvement in delta efficiency but, in a group that included habitual Rotor users, Lucia et al. (2004) did not."

By implication, you get used to the effect over time and then end up where you were before fitting them. Is that not the same with 29ers?

That's why i train on a penny farthing and race on a 29er....

I was hoping that some coaching expert could clarify this for us.

What % difference does the correct bike make in your performance?

Depends: if you're trying to race DH on a rigid 29er then the performance increase with the right DH bike would be about 300% when you get out of hospital.

What % difference does the correct bike make in your performance?

depends on what the incorrect bike is...

Horses for courses...

you're not going to win a race like Megavalanche on a 100mm hardtail, just like you won't win the Epic on a bike suited for megavalanche (from 140mm - 200mm depending on rider).

so the answer to your question could be a gazzilion percent!

An even less extreme comparison is something like a guy using a Giant Trance (120mm) for an XCM race. He'll be fairly competitive. If he used an Anthem he'l no doubtedly place better... but may not enjoy his ride as much.

the term "mountain bike" is too broad.

depends on what the incorrect bike is...

Horses for courses...

you're not going to win a race like Megavalanche on a 100mm hardtail, just like you won't win the Epic on a bike suited for megavalanche (from 140mm - 200mm depending on rider).

so the answer to your question could be a gazzilion percent!

An even less extreme comparison is something like a guy using a Giant Trance (120mm) for an XCM race. He'll be fairly competitive. If he used an Anthem he'l no doubtedly place better... but may not enjoy his ride as much.

the term "mountain bike" is too broad.

I just wonder, if you give Burry an Epic Comp 29er that is perfectly set-up, instead of the S-Works Epic Carbon 29er, will it make that much of a difference?

Ek sweer oom rook boom.

The thread starts like this:

So many brands, so many designs - where do I start by selecting the right mountain bike for me?

And next thing you bombard us with info about what is what and who is who in the zoo.

Admit it, you really are Gary Fisher.

I just wonder, if you give Burry an Epic Comp 29er that is perfectly set-up, instead of the S-Works Epic Carbon 29er, will it make that much of a difference?

Obviously, they are different colors

Urgh. Another Burry analogy.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/throwing-up.gif

Why not give Greg a Giant Glory instead of his Santa and see if that makes a difference... :excl:

dunno hey.. give him that, maybe he gives it to C to put road cycling behind her!