Silverback Storm 1.0 vs Storm 2.0? Advise

Mylolylo

I'm trying to decide whether I'd like to spend the extra 3k or so and go for the silverback storm 1.0 instead of the 2.0? The frames, wheels, etc are the same, the only difference is xt and Sid rl shock instead of slx and Reba rl shock. Is the extra money worth what I'll be getting? Even if I can't really feel a difference is the quality much different, resale better, reliability better? I'm pretty set on one of the two so not looking to go for another brand. Thanks

Hi

The sid is lighter and stiffer as well as more responsive in my opinion. The reba is plusher as I think it makes more use of the travel and is quite a reliable fork that does not have to be serviced as freuently as a fox or sid, however, I would still go with the sid. Its just far more respnsive. As for the groupset, there is a reason xt is the most popular goupset. Especially when it comes to the rear deraileur, slx will suck plus the slx cranks scratches like a b*#t&$. For R3000 extra you will feel a noticeable difference and I thus highly reccomend the storm 1.0

I've got the Storm 1.0 and I am truly happy with it! Had it now for about 2 months which translates to about 2000km.

This post might not be very informative but just stating that I'm a happy customer. :)

I got the Storm1 but only after changing the 2x10 to 3x10. I also swapped the 11-34 cassette for a 11-36. The Storm1 is better value but be sure that you can live with the 26-34 granny gear in the Cape mountains. The Storm 2 comes out with 3x10 and a 24-34 granny, so much better for non-professional riders on the climbs.

Hi

The sid is lighter and stiffer as well as more responsive in my opinion. The reba is plusher as I think it makes more use of the travel and is quite a reliable fork that does not have to be serviced as freuently as a fox or sid, however, I would still go with the sid. Its just far more respnsive. As for the groupset, there is a reason xt is the most popular goupset. Especially when it comes to the rear deraileur, slx will suck plus the slx cranks scratches like a b*#t&$. For R3000 extra you will feel a noticeable difference and I thus highly reccomend the storm 1.0

Partly Wrong... Internals of the sid and the reba are the same. Only difference between the 2 models is the weight, and then the difference isn't that great. I would actually say that the Reba is the better fork for the majority of riders as the extra weight lends it extra stiffness over the sid. Yes, the sid is favoured by racers but that's due to the 100g or so weight savings over the Reba. In fact, I'd prefer to have the Reba as it is a truly "do it all" fork.

As for the slx gruppo, that's absolute hogwash. Slx kit is fantastic, and more than sufficient for the job. In fact, slx in some cases is preferable over xt, and last years slx crank was actually stiffer than the xt one... In terms of difference to xt, yes there is a slight weight difference but that is insignificant. It's certainly not worth the extra 3k.

My advice is to pocket the difference and instead get something else like an hr monitor or snazzy helmet or new kit.

Edited by cptmayhem

But still...those xt brakes are just yummy. For me I like them full xt. Another upgrade I made on my bike - I took off the new Crest wheels and bought a set of American Classic Race wheels from Summit Bikes for 6k. The new Crests will be sold for just under 5k. My bike is about 10kgs now. But which ever version you get I can tell you that this is a great bike and there is no better bikes out there for the price.

Edited by Berg Bok

I like the look of the Storm 2.0's frame better! That orange looks good! Whichever you take I think I will be a super rad bike! I had the slx xt combo on my previous bike and that was the business! I now have a full xt drive-train and can't tell you the difference!

But still...those xt brakes are just yummy. For me I like them full xt. Another upgrade I made on my bike - I took off the new Crest wheels and bought a set of American Classic Race wheels from Summit Bikes for 6k. The new Crests will be sold for just under 5k. My bike is about 10kgs now. But which ever version you get I can tell you that this is a great bike and there is no better bikes out there for the price.

Ja, they are - but they're pretty much exactly the same as the SLX brakes, save for a few grams difference. The rotors, however... oooooooh....

I have a Storm 2.0. Loving the bike. SLX XT combo is the best!!!!!! Didn't like the 2X10 on the Storm 1.0 , prefer 3X10. Slx crank is top class. Slx brakes are just as good as the xt brakes. Go for the storm 2.0 you will love it!!!!!

Unless you are very strong on the climbs rather go for the 3x10, and try to swap out the 11-34 cassette for a 11-36. My bike just cruises up the steepest of climbs in granny. When I bought the difference between the 2 versions was much less than 3k because the the Storm 1 was old stock standing on the floor. Apparently the prices went up recently for the new stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So i ended up going for the Storm 1.0. The shiny XT and SID got the best of me! haha! Got it on fri eve and Saturday was way too rainy so took it to Tokai this afternoon(not much less rainy and wet anyway and wow what an amazing ride!!!! I've been on an alu, dual-sus, 26er and I cannot even compare two! I flew up hill that I normally break a sweat on and the two rings intead of three didnt seem to hinder me as there was such an increased power transfer to the real wheel with no rear shock to dampen it. The SID was a little soft but I just need to get a shock pump and get it to the right pressure. Rode it home after on the road and I swear it felt better than my road bike. I'm sure the Storm 2.0 would have been just as amazing but don't regret the few extra k.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Lyle

Partly Wrong... Internals of the sid and the reba are the same. Only difference between the 2 models is the weight, and then the difference isn't that great. I would actually say that the Reba is the better fork for the majority of riders as the extra weight lends it extra stiffness over the sid. Yes, the sid is favoured by racers but that's due to the 100g or so weight savings over the Reba. In fact, I'd prefer to have the Reba as it is a truly "do it all" fork.

As for the slx gruppo, that's absolute hogwash. Slx kit is fantastic, and more than sufficient for the job. In fact, slx in some cases is preferable over xt, and last years slx crank was actually stiffer than the xt one... In terms of difference to xt, yes there is a slight weight difference but that is insignificant. It's certainly not worth the extra 3k.

My advice is to pocket the difference and instead get something else like an hr monitor or snazzy helmet or new kit.

What he said. I prefer a Reba.

Hey guys,

So i ended up going for the Storm 1.0. The shiny XT and SID got the best of me! haha! Got it on fri eve and Saturday was way too rainy so took it to Tokai this afternoon(not much less rainy and wet anyway and wow what an amazing ride!!!! I've been on an alu, dual-sus, 26er and I cannot even compare two! I flew up hill that I normally break a sweat on and the two rings intead of three didnt seem to hinder me as there was such an increased power transfer to the real wheel with no rear shock to dampen it. The SID was a little soft but I just need to get a shock pump and get it to the right pressure. Rode it home after on the road and I swear it felt better than my road bike. I'm sure the Storm 2.0 would have been just as amazing but don't regret the few extra k.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Lyle

Told you it is good! Now imagine mine with American Classic Race wheels and Ritchey WCS tyres, with other minor upgrades sub 10kgs. Normally the false hilltops in Grabouw made me swear, 1st time I took the Storm out there, I swore at the false hilltop like normal, only to realize it was in fact the top.

Keep in mind that the Rockshox need much more air than Fox. Look at left lower rear tube of the shock, there you should find a kg=>psi chart.

The 2012 Storm range is probably the best value for money bikes! I did a LOT of research before deciding what bike to upgrade to and the Storm, both 1.0 and 2.0, came highly recommended by just about everyone! Can't wait to get my Storm 2.0. Enjoy the ride.

• 2 weeks later...