Enduro/trail guys how do you keep your camel bak bladder clean/fresh

Unclerico

Hey guys,just looking for some tips on how to keep my camel bak bladder nice and clean/fresh. I have never used one before and to me theres always water left inside after washing it out,any of you guys know any secrets ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dry as much as possible, stuff some waddled newspaper in there to keep airflow going :) Otherwise just use it OFTEN.

Hey guys,just looking for some tips on how to keep my camel bak bladder nice and clean/fresh. I have never used one before and to me theres always water left inside after washing it out,any of you guys know any secrets ?

Rinse and dry after every ride. I put a normal waterbottle inside to allow some air through it. I use perpetuam which contains protein and have "forgotten" to rinse it out once or twice...you open up that badboy at your own peril. In such a case. Rinse...brush and leave overnight with little bit of domestos added to the water. Done.

Guest Omega Man

I put 5 of those little practice golf balls in there. The light hollow ones. They keep it open when not in use so it doesn't get too mank.

Also. Water ONLY! Nothing else. EVER!

I put 5 of those little practice golf balls in there. The light hollow ones. They keep it open when not in use so it doesn't get too mank.

I do this too. Just leave the cap off bag. Never had any mould in my Camelbak.

I have been using the same bladder for over 5 years now. Use what ever you like in the bladder. You can even leave it overnight without washing it. After use though rinse with warm water (Don't forget to rinse the pipe as well). You can dry the inside out with roller towel if you like but careful to not leave any bits behind. Not a pleasant surprise on your next ride.... Hanging it on the washing line with a few practise golf balls inside also works.

You can store it in the bottom drawer of your fridge in a zip lock bag (Zip lock bag also keeps any odours out). When it starts to get funky, rescue it with Milton like Hairy said. Works a treat and is WAY cheaper than the Camelbak cleaning tabs. The Milton also works to get rid of any after taste from your drink of choice.

Keep it clean, what's that?

I only use water in my camelbak, call it an experiment if you will, but I have not cleaned it since Sani, and it;s still perfectly clean. I top the water up before every ride, and check whether the sides are slimy.

I'll wash it once the bag gets slimy.

BTW has anyone seen this goodie from Buycycle.co.za, 1.2l, might get it, as I cannot put bottles in my Yeti's frame

http://www.buycycle.co.za/images/detailed/12/veleau-1.jpg

I only use water in mine,rinse mouth piece when im done.Give the inside a rinse too,then hang it on a coat hanger in my scullery.Then after shaking it abit i put a piece of carlton roll inside the bladder ,blow abit through mouth piece and leave .Seems to help the drying process, its never gone moldy this way. :thumbup: Dont try wipe with the carlton, thats when little pieces start to break off.

I use a Dakine hydration pack. The bladder can be turned inside out, so I just rinse it after a ride, turn it inside out and hang it in a ventilated place.

I only use water in my hydration pack, which helps with keeping it clean. I use corn syrup( :blush: I know I am a runner) in a small gel bottle to cater for energy needs, so I don't need to put energy drinks in my hydration pack.

Good tip to clean the tube once it has gone rotten. Use an old brake or gear cable , push the end with the barrel on through the tube, wrap some kitchen towel around it and pull back through the tube, repeat

Keep it clean, what's that? I only use water in my camelbak, call it an experiment if you will, but I have not cleaned it since Sani, and it;s still perfectly clean. I top the water up before every ride, and check whether the sides are slimy. I'll wash it once the bag gets slimy. BTW has anyone seen this goodie from Buycycle.co.za, 1.2l, might get it, as I cannot put bottles in my Yeti's frame http://www.buycycle.co.za/images/detailed/12/veleau-1.jpg

I got given one about two weeks back by a dude who said he was importing them. Works well, just a bit fiddly at first to get the magnet lined up right.