That 250 sounds like an error!

But yes, we shouldn't use that formula. Everybody is unique, just like everybody else :thumbup:

Usually I'd just ignore it (it spikes from time to time) but because it stayed there for 8min I didn't quite know what to think.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sprints = running sprints?

If so thats normal, you use more muscles and your heart works harder to run.

For example swimming max would be lower than cycling max HR

I do a lot of open water swimming and it is definity lower than cycling, swimming is also a great item to do for cross training.

Go to the sport and science institute and let they do a vo2max test + ftp test ect....

Really worth knowning that you're not going to die of cardiac arrest when you hit the 196bpm mark when you thought 185rpm was your max!

sounds like getting tested is the way to go.

I want to take up an extra sprot to get some decent core exercise in my training plan. been thionking of swimming or getting a canoe or kayak.

any recomendations?

I want to take up an extra sprot to get some decent core exercise in my training plan. been thionking of swimming or getting a canoe or kayak.

any recomendations?

My bad! I misunderstood. Thought you still talked about new riders from the beginning of the same paragraph.

No problem ;)

BTW, Riding under powerlines or close to substations with electrical interference can cause very inaccurate readings either way high or low for extended periods.

any recomendations?

Swimming is best as it also developes your lungs to have increased capacity

Apologies for the hijack... My average HR in a race (MTB marathon) is around 155-159. My max is usually 175-178. I haven't been able to get it higher than 179 on a bike. And yes, I have puked in my mouth trying to get it higher. I did some 400m sprints (pushing as hard as I can) a few months ago and my max was 209. Why is it so much lower on the bike?

I never get my HR above 180 on either of my bikes(MTB & Road), but I can hit a 220 when 50m laps in the pool... no problem...

Thanks.

Yes, was referring to running sprints.

So my max is 209. In other words I am cycling at 75% HR in MTB races?

"So my max is 209"

Maybe :eek: but it most likely will be a few beats higher. The 400's might not be long enough to get your HR up to its max

"In other words I am cycling at 75% HR in MTB races"

Maybe :eek: :eek: your cycling max HR will be lower than your running max HR.

Which means you have to do a cycling specific max HR test

Max HR figures for training zone calculation is sport specific. Very little chance that you will ever get your swimming HR (just an example) up to 209, your body is basicaly lying flat (easier for the heart to pump blood) and also supported by the water.

220 is just a rough guide , if i went with mine i would be maxed majority of the time.

Best is to get it accurately done by the sports fitness boffins

On this basis I'm 11 years old and my mate is 19. Not true by a factor of 4 or 5.

Go to the sport and science institute and let they do a vo2max test + ftp test ect....

Really worth knowning that you're not going to die of cardiac arrest when you hit the 196bpm mark when you thought 185rpm was your max!

One fact is that your heart cannot beat faster than it can beat so you cannot go OVER your max heart rate. Given that the recording is right, what you see is your max. As SwissVan said, you cannot die from hitting your max and your brain will shut you down before you can do damage to yourself.

You may see a succession of new highs in a race situation until you get to actual max, Saves the cash for a test.

The only point of knowing your max is to train in the correct zones. No other value.

"So my max is 209"

Maybe :eek: but it most likely will be a few beats higher. The 400's might not be long enough to get your HR up to its max

"In other words I am cycling at 75% HR in MTB races"

Maybe :eek: :eek: your cycling max HR will be lower than your running max HR.

Which means you have to do a cycling specific max HR test

Max HR figures for training zone calculation is sport specific. Very little chance that you will ever get your swimming HR (just an example) up to 209, your body is basicaly lying flat (easier for the heart to pump blood) and also supported by the water.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear - sport specific. That makes sense.

Where in PTA can I do these tests?

I never get my HR above 180 on either of my bikes(MTB & Road), but I can hit a 220 when 50m laps in the pool... no problem...

LOL then you need to HTFU and cycle harder.... no offence

Probably find your HR strap is not working properly in the pool.

Unudder thing Darren...

If you do a max HR test, either in a lab or on your own add another 3 beats to what you recorded as max, just to overide your brains natural survival instinct

Max HR really is over rated and needs not to be done over and over again, rather use your lactic threshold HR as a guide. Yeah do the max HR test once so u can brag about it but thats it....

Max HR differs from person to person. I used to train with a friend of the same age, and we were fairly even on fitness as well, and my Max was 12 - 15 beats higher all the time. My Ave HR was higher as well.

How long should it take to recover after a hard 4hour race? My resting rate is around 50 but sometimes it takes me 4 hours + to get back to that level after a race.

How long should it take to recover after a hard 4hour race? My resting rate is around 50 but sometimes it takes me 4 hours + to get back to that level after a race.

After a hard race I won't even get close to my true RHR for 48 hours.

Do you measure RHR before you get up in the morning?