26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

Everything is relative:

Weight: 26 best, 650b worse, 29er worst.

Traction: 29er best, 650b worse, 26 worst.

Angle of attack: 29er best, 650b worse, 26 worst.

Comfort: 29er best, 650b worse, 26 worst.

Strength: 26 best, 650b worse, 29er worst.

Geometry: 26 best, 650b limited, 29er more limited.

Suspespion travel: 26 best, 650b worse, 29 worst.

Availabily of wheels/tyres: 26 and 29 on par, 650b worst.

due to above mentioned, 26" wins. heheh

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye just come down harder on the BMX,still want to put a 80mm fork on mine.

Used to do kickflips of the loading dock @ the back of checkers in seapoint,idk if its still there.Almost same as the 1 by me now.

Being 16 even 21 again would help more then 650b,loading docks & geriatric spines takes some cushioning :w00t: :clap: :lol:

ROFL. Geriatric spines FTW.

But hell yeah. Need to find a section of paving or dirt that has a relatively flat landing that I can just session over and over and over to get the confidence & technique going...

That Tread article was terrible - about as balanced as the chip on Julius Malema's shoulder.

They said the advantages of 650b were:

Better rollover than 26 (but forgor - worse rollover than 29)

Better momentum than 26 (but forgot - less momentum than 29)

More traction than 26 (but forgot - less traction than 29)

Less rotational weight than 29 (but forgot - more rotational weight than 26)

More agile than 29 (but forgot - less agile than 26)

More suspension travel options (less than 26)

Short chainstays (but longer than 26)

There are no "disadvantages" to 26, 650b or 29 - you need to look at the characterisitics of all 3 wheel sizes and pick the best one for you. Why is this so hard for people? There is no generic

26 is best, 650b is best or 29 is best. There is only best FOR YOU in the context of WHAT TERRAIN YOU RIDE and WHAT YOUR STRENGTHS are and WHICH RACING YOU DO.

Phew - I'm sounding more and more like ye olde stuck gramophone.

Odd i thought it was a good article, had me nodding in agreement.

Does the 650b mean that everyone is going to get rid of their 29ERS Now? and 29ERS will come down in price? :clap: :clap:

precisely. Lofting a BMX is a helluva lot easier than lofting an MTB.

And I need to find me one of those... I still get the dreaded lip-tremors at the edge.

There is drop to flat we sometimes do. It is amongst some old trees with no defined line or ST. On the left the drop is ankle height on the right it is above chest. One day I was leading a ride and I got the line in the shadows of the trees mixed up and ended up going way right. So Instead of a 3 footer it was nearly double that. Just relaxed and applied the same technique. I heard Thug behind me screaming like a little girl as he bailed out and did the 3 inch drop on the left.

There is drop to flat we sometimes do. It is amongst some old trees with no defined line or ST. On the left the drop is ankle height on the right it is above chest. One day I was leading a ride and I got the line in the shadows of the trees mixed up and ended up going way right. So Instead of a 3 footer it was nearly double that. Just relaxed and applied the same technique. I heard Thug behind me screaming like a little girl as he bailed out and did the 3 inch drop on the left.

ROFL. Sometimes one has no choice! Anyway... found a lekker little 2 foot kicker on the way to tokai that I'm getting my confidence up on. Lands to flat, and there are no obstacles around at all. Lekker little thing...

What would you guys say are the disadvantages of either 26" or 29" wheels ... ?

Disadvantages:

26": You'll get nothing for it when you try to sell it 'cause the industry has successfully duped us into thinking that they will buck us off in the first corner and then try to have their way with us from behind...

29": If you don't ride a large or bigger, a 29er is too big for you, you midget! Rather take your chances with that perverted little 26" bike.

27.5": Perfect, no disadvantages, you probably need one right now. Go on then, what are you waiting for!

Edited by RacerX

After drinking a 650Beer this weekend I can report that it tasted better than the 26" and 29er beer.

Seriously, i'm going go on a limb here and say that 650B in years to come will become the new standard or replace the current 26", why? Simply because of the never ending 26 vs 29 debate.

post-182-0-04216900-1346061524.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

ROFL. Sometimes one has no choice! Anyway... found a lekker little 2 foot kicker on the way to tokai that I'm getting my confidence up on. Lands to flat, and there are no obstacles around at all. Lekker little thing...

The higher it is the more aggressively you have to manual that front up and keep it up in the air. For flat landings touch down with the rear first and absorb the impact with relaxed legs.

A person will never be update to date with new developements and technology. Bicyle manufacturers will always need something new to make money. My theory is to buy what is going to work the best for you. After all you should hopefuly be spending a lot of time in the saddle, so the bike needs to feel comfortable. Being a taller rider, I feel more comfortable on a 29er.

Edited by Excite_Bike

All I can say is.... after falling my royal moer off on Sat (stoopid front brake).....

Is that I wish I was on a 26" bike cause now my head is stuck 3 inches further up my @ss

sunnamabish!!!

650 B has one fantastic advantage at the moment, but it will wear off in time to come.

But alas right now it's hot and you can often find yourself at a ride being the only cool dude there.

Till every tome dick and harold gets one, then it's tome to look for exclusivity elsewhere.

650 B has one fantastic advantage at the moment, but it will wear off in time to come.

But alas right now it's hot and you can often find yourself at a ride being the only cool dude there.

Till every tome dick and harold gets one, then it's tome to look for exclusivity elsewhere.

+1

Next month I plan on buying a 26" bike. Man I can't wait for people to ask me if the small wheels are faster...