26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

Hi Dandee, I changed to a 29er HT about 4 weeks ago. My other bikes are a 26 HT and a 26 FS.

I was quite sceptical about the advantages of 29ers. After two marathons and two weekends of fun riding, I am a convert.

I also changed to a 2 x 10 setup with the new HT. Was a bit concerned about climbing, and it did take about a week to get used to it, but now I love it.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the beast I test rode today, first proper ride on a 29er and.......

post-182-0-92303300-1340563958.jpg

....Very nice and definetly not the slow turning behemoth I expected.

I reckon you need to try a shorter bottle... :P

Edited by slick

I reckon you need to try a shorter bottle... :P

The amount i sweat I need a longer one, plenty of room there LOL

I went from a small Giant Anthem X1 26" to a small Giant Anthem X29 1 - so it's comparing like with like! To me the 29'er is marginally better in ALL aspects except for tight switchbacks. It climbs better, descends better and is quite a lot more forgiving on rough terrain. It weighs 420 grams more, but you would never say so. I am 1.7 m tall and weigh 65kgs (i.e small). For me there is no debate, it's clear-cut, the 29er is better.

changing from 26" to a 29er is not an upgrade that's for sure.

It's a marketing tool brainwashing people to spend more money to change their bikes. So next, 27.5 will take over then what??

Hey Dubber88, a little off topic ( :whistling:), what's the differences [in ride, handling) between the old and the new EMD?

Couple of differences that changes the feel of the ride.

Tapered head tube for a stiffer front end which makes handling better.

Hydro-formed tubes that looks awesome, is allot more stiff around the BB and 80 grams lighter than old Large frame.

And the ride is a little bit softer than before on the arse.

But the best advantage over its older brother is an awesome paint job that doesn't scratch when you only look at it before a ride.

I got a buyer for my frame and actually wanted a 2012 model to start with building the bike last year August, so thats why I upgraded.

Seriously awesome frame, enjoying every moment more and more.

It's a marketing tool brainwashing people to spend more money to change their bikes. So next, 27.5 will take over then what??

Damn, now you tell me I've been fooled. :blink:

Cyclists of the world! YOU'VE BEEN LIED TO! Fool me once ,shame on me.

I'm giong to recycle my 29er right now :eek: I feel so cheap, used BUT BUt It felt so right!!!

Thats what ive been saying all along, yes 29'ers a couple of years ago were only marathon bikes. Since i have had my 29'er i have shattered every previous record on every single track i usually ride, and I am a lot less fit now than what i was when i set my best times on the 26" I think the bike just suits my riding style and i feel more comfortable and more confident so i end up going faster and faster.

Thats why in my humble opinion 26" bikes have become redundant to me, except for proper AM bikes where you take some massive drops, there the strenght of the 26" wheel outwheighs the 29'er but for normal trail riding and racing I dont see any advantage a 26" has over a 29" not with the latest generation bikes. They simply handle supremly, they are fast out of the blocks. great in the rough stuff, and just glide over long distances.

The irony is that if you check my posts from last year I was the biggest whiner about 29'ers being crap. Got myself a rude awakening.

I didn't want to believe that 29'rs are really significantly faster than a 26 inch bike, but in February I went from a 26" Spark 50 to a 29'r Spark Elite. My experience:

• The 29'r is faster over technical terrain as you simply ride over whatever is in your way. With the 26" you have to pick your line more carefully.

• The 26" does feel more in touch with the terrain. That does not make it faster, but it is fun!

• The 29'r isn't quite as nimble as the 26" around tight switchbacks, but as soon as you get the feel for the 29'r, it is just as fast.

• The additional grip of the 29" wheel makes climbing steep inclines ridable. The 26" breaks traction quicker. Similarly the 29'r is more forgiving around corners due to the additional traction.

• The 29" takes more power to climb. For beginners I would recommend a 26" bike for that reason or alternatively they should take their time and build their strength on a 29'r. (Read: avoid knee problems)

Although I didn't want to believe it, a 29'r is faster in my experience. On a section of technical, downhill single track close to home I did 7:20 on the 26" one week and the following week did 6:42 on the 29'r. On gravel roads I'm about 7% to 9% faster (based on the same level of effort and fitness) and all my race times are faster than last year (by at least 4%).

That is my experience. It might be useful for someone else.

Its like this... So, you just get a brand new Shimano Dura Ace 7900 10speed groupset then you read SHIMANO JUST LAUNCHED 11SPEED and you feel upset.

So, you ride your 10 speed for a little while but your mates have changed to 11speed telling you the extra gear gives them greater satisfaction and makes them faster because of an xtra gear??? I mean CUM ON??

How much faster can 3 inches extra really make you?

MARKETING is Powerfull! Every bike store in SA sells more 29ers because the agents like Probike (Scott), Drogons( Giant) etc currently only bring in 29ers so what else can the bike shops sell if there arent any 26" bikes available?

Thats what ive been saying all along, yes 29'ers a couple of years ago were only marathon bikes. Since i have had my 29'er i have shattered every previous record on every single track i usually ride, and I am a lot less fit now than what i was when i set my best times on the 26" I think the bike just suits my riding style and i feel more comfortable and more confident so i end up going faster and faster.

Thats why in my humble opinion 26" bikes have become redundant to me, except for proper AM bikes where you take some massive drops, there the strenght of the 26" wheel outwheighs the 29'er but for normal trail riding and racing I dont see any advantage a 26" has over a 29" not with the latest generation bikes. They simply handle supremly, they are fast out of the blocks. great in the rough stuff, and just glide over long distances.

The irony is that if you check my posts from last year I was the biggest whiner about 29'ers being crap. Got myself a rude awakening.

First you, then Manbearpig, so who's next? Caerus or X-Man?

First you, then Manbearpig, so who's next? Caerus or X-Man?

I wish i could hang my head in shame ..... but im just having so much of fun :clap:

Its like this... So, you just get a brand new Shimano Dura Ace 7900 10speed groupset then you read SHIMANO JUST LAUNCHED 11SPEED and you feel upset.

So, you ride your 10 speed for a little while but your mates have changed to 11speed telling you the extra gear gives them greater satisfaction and makes them faster because of an xtra gear??? I mean CUM ON??

How much faster can 3 inches extra really make you?

MARKETING is Powerfull! Every bike store in SA sells more 29ers because the agents like Probike (Scott), Drogons( Giant) etc currently only bring in 29ers so what else can the bike shops sell if there arent any 26" bikes available?

Well failling your logic here, go back to putting on a 21speed groupo on your bike and let me know how that works out for you lol