Staalwater MTB race

River Rat

Hi guys

I did the 30km Staalwater last year and it was my first mtb race ever (which turned out to be 26km or so and quite easy), so I thought I had to return to do this one "properly"!

Things is, I've never done race of more than 40km and entered the 60 on the basis that it's a "fast" one, only to read today they've made it more difficult! Bit nervous now.

Does anyone know where the "new" section replacing the tar mountain pass is exactly? I don't see an updated route map on the website.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't see an updated route on the site, the detour is still being built.. What a headache, to find they are blasting Shaw's pass.

Molehill or not, it is the kind of terrain that makes Bear Grills shudder.

Edited by Pain or Shine

You won't see an updated route on the site, the detour is still being built.. What a headache to find they are blasting Shaw's pass.

Molehill or not, it is the kind of terrain that makes Bear Grills shudder.

So you mean the organisers didn't know about the roadworks? They've been busy for quite a few months now!

No, they knew about the construction, but they did not know whether the contractor would allow access..

Ah I see, 'find' is misleading..

edit. Besides, cannot ride through that! Thanks Reg..

Edited by Pain or Shine

Anyhow, I

No, they knew about the construction, but they did not know whether the contractor would allow access..

Ah I see, 'find' is misleading..

I can actually tell some stories about "access" to the road - know about some people in that area who simply ignore the roadworks and drive over the pass anyway..

Anyhow, I'll just mentally prepare myself as Bear Grylls for Saturday!

Well that use to be possible, but not anymore!!!

Anyhow, I

I can actually tell some stories about "access" to the road - know about some people in that area who simply ignore the roadworks and drive over the pass anyway..

Anyhow, I'll just mentally prepare myself as Bear Grylls for Saturday!

Was a cool race this morning - quick and flowing and awesome weather. Would love to know how many managed to ride the molehill in full.

Was a cool race this morning - quick and flowing and awesome weather. Would love to know how many managed to ride the molehill in full.

+1 - I didnt see anyone riding up molehill. Very enjoyable fast race, except for the hill....

Wow, a lot more people than last year, this event is really growing. Also, excluding the molehill this must arguably be the "fastest" mtb race in the western cape? Will be back next year. (Oh, and unlike last year, this year we got medals... Glad about that! :thumbup: )

Nice event. I also did it in 2010 and I am glad it is still going. That "climb" yesterday was a bit ridiculous though - my back was broken!

Edited by mikkelz

I'm lying in bed in the hotel. Goddamn that molehill was rough.

Rode most of it. Managed 20th overall and 7th in sv after a late start. Spent the first half of the race chasing the leaders

Next time I'll make sure I start on time :)