IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

So this morning I wake up with an itchy nose and throat. Not good news 10 days before race day. Any advice on how to make sure this does not turn into a cold/flu?

Lots of vitamin C (natural preferred, like Orange Juice)

Vit B cocktail injection.

Echinacea supplement 3 times daily

Gargle with saltwater 3 times daily

Drink a mix of green tea, honey, lemon and a bit of cinnamon, 3 times daily

Rest for 2-3 days, you should be tapering anyhow, so take it easy and don't stress.

All the best!

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my best case scenario:

Swim: 0:35

T1: 0:05 (provided I remember to put my bib on)

Bike: 2:45

T2: 0:05 (provided I remember to take my bib off and put on some sunscreen)

Run: 2:15 (probably more like 2:30)

Total: 5:45

But to be honest, I'll be ecstatic with anything under 6 hours as it's my first long(ish) distance tri.

Looking back on my preparation, I probably should have spent a bit more time running and less time on the bike...

50% Bike 30% Run 20% Swim as per Joe Friedel training stuff .... but i guess it depends on where you need to improve

Lots of vitamin C (natural preferred, like Orange Juice)

Vit B cocktail injection.

Echinacea supplement 3 times daily

Gargle with saltwater 3 times daily

Drink a mix of green tea, honey, lemon and a bit of cinnamon, 3 times daily

Rest for 2-3 days, you should be tapering anyhow, so take it easy and don't stress.

All the best!

Thanks Spartan

Got some meds from the pharmacy and drinking lots of OJ. Will also try some of these. I think I am going to head home now for some rest(and cricket). Not feeling better than yesterday, but also not worse.

Thanks Spartan

Got some meds from the pharmacy and drinking lots of OJ. Will also try some of these. I think I am going to head home now for some rest(and cricket). Not feeling better than yesterday, but also not worse.

Yes, lying on the couch watching cricket is just what the doctor ordered

Don't stress, you're training is done, you have a week to go the race.

If you were 100% healthy and cram training this weekend, you would have been worse of, come Monday.

Does anyone know what an Easterly wind would make the wind like on the cycle?ph34r.png

Not very nice.........East is beast, west is best.

Not very nice.........East is beast, west is best.

Taking advantage of the home coarse are you?

A questioned to the seasoned competitor. Would you go with clip-on tribars or without for 70.3? Did 70.3 last year without tribars but did full IM with tri-bars.

With the nature of the course (hilly) i was thinking of going without tri-bars. Any thoughts?

A questioned to the seasoned competitor. Would you go with clip-on tribars or without for 70.3? Did 70.3 last year without tribars but did full IM with tri-bars.

With the nature of the course (hilly) i was thinking of going without tri-bars. Any thoughts?

Put them on. There are some sections on the coarse where you can lie down and relax on the bars and get into a nice rhythm.

Dont know the route so not sure its suited to tri bars, allthough if they are clip on type then you wont be loosing the drop bars benefit. Normaly i would say put them on.

BUT

One thing to consider, are you used to them, have you trained enough with them?

Riding on tri bars puts your muscles under a slightly different stress compared to normal drop bars and you dont want to find out on race day what the effect will be.... Dont go try new things on race day without proofing it in training...

Good luck and enjoy

thanks for the responses, appreciate it. Yes, i have trained with them a couple of time, but not as much in recent months. Did lots of training with the tri-bars while training for full IM. think i will be ok using them on race day.

just not sure if the benefit would be worth the extra weight. lots of uphills, which i prefer to sit up with an open chest. But if i can save a few minutes with the tri-bars then it might be worth it :-)

One thing to consider, are you used to them, have you trained enough with them?

Riding on tri bars puts your muscles under a slightly different stress compared to normal drop bars and you dont want to find out on race day what the effect will be.... Dont go try new things on race day without proofing it in training...

Good luck and enjoy

Yeah this is true. And have they set your road bike up for a more aggressive Tri position as well

If you not used to it don't try it out now