"The Customer Experience"

Titanium

I use Cycle Lab.They are not the cheapest, but they greet me by name (my bike only cost R7,000). When I started riding, I mentioned that I wanted entry level and they even tried to talk me into a slightly cheaper bike in spite of the fact that the guy earned commission.

I do not spend a lot of money on my bike mainly 'cos I don't have a lot and they are fully aware of this but always assist with accommodating my tight budget without trying to pull the ring out of it.

I have gone to a number of LBS and as soon as I mention my budgetary issues, interest fades immediately. I would prefer to support the smaller guys given that I am "the smaller guy" in my field and know how difficult it is to earn a living, but to be honest, I cannot beat the attention and service I receive from the guys at Cycle Lab. So, even thought it probably cost me a little more of my hard earned cash, it is a sacrifice I am prepared to make in order to get no nonsense advice and assistance!

I am a nooby to the sport and have recently had an experience with an online shop, I purchased a computer from them, at the time of purchase I asked for a tracking number & twice after the purchase, todate I am still waiting for the product, still have no tracking number.

I know that I am not the only customer that they mail items to, but a simple reply from tem would sufice.

Not LBS more Other Bike Shops (OBS) related.

I am told that I have the tendency to research/ examine things to the extreme (when it takes my fancy).

Normally when I walk into a shop I know what I want. The item I require may not be the best, nor the lightest or the latest model. I like to experiment, to build thing and sometimes, I just like messing around. The item I want will in most instances not be used for its original, intended purpose.

If I walk into a bike shop, do not think that you know me, or that you know what I want. Just because I look like ‘n ou Afrikaanse omie van die platteland. If I ask for an item or assistance, help me. Smirk at me (because you think you know better), and I am gone.

If I walk into a store and the sales people is too busy drinking coffee/ cappuccinos or fruit “smoothies” with their “regular clientele”, I’m gone.

If there is no price on items, I’m gone.

If there is no price on items but a sign that state the price of an item depend on Rand/Dollar/Euro exchange rate, you will never see me again.

Things that are important to me for an internet store:

Off the top of my head:

• competitive pricing
  • a wider range of products / brands than the typical LBS
  • honesty about stock availability
  • free delivery over a certain (reasonable) Rand value purchase
  • order tracking
  • a clear and concise returns policy
  • a loyalty discount / voucher plan
  • sizing charts for shoes / clothing

I think it was Mojoman that mentioned it. Customer Service!! Customer service (or lack thereof...) is the biggest downfall of most companies in this country and it is unfortunately directly related and proportional to the customer experience. If you have a great customer experience the chances of you having received great customer service is good. If you received bad customer service you are not likely to have had a good customer experience!

All I expect is that the price you see is the price you pay. Had a bad experience with a bike shop in Pinetown. Asked for the price of a Holdfast bike rack and came back a few days later to purchase only to be told that the price had gone up. I explained that I had already been quoted a price verbally earlier but made no difference. I have never been back.

Attend to me within a few minutes of me walking through the door. If you are busy, tell me and I will wait "Hi, I'll be with you in a few minutes." At least I know that you know that I am there! Nothing worse that walking around for 5 minutes waiting for somebody to attend to you and being "ignored".

Charge me a fair price for labour to install regardless of where I bought my stuff.

If you sell a bike get the customers detail and do a follow up with them after about a week, small thing but its shows you were interested in him as a customer and not merely making a sale.

Show the customer the basics and yes, even how to keep the bike clean which includes the do's and don'ts of what cleaning material to use and on which parts.

Repairs and maintenance, every bike shop at some time will stuff up, it's how they go about rectifying it that makes the difference.

If you promise the customer a call then make the call, even if it's to tell them that the item you ordered and promised would be there by a certain date has not yet arrived, saves them the cost of a trip.

Thanks Scotty - I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the feedback.

I think it was Mojoman that mentioned it. Customer Service!! Customer service (or lack thereof...) is the biggest downfall of most companies in this country and it is unfortunately directly related and proportional to the customer experience. If you have a great customer experience the chances of you having received great customer service is good. If you received bad customer service you are not likely to have had a good customer experience!

All I expect is that the price you see is the price you pay. Had a bad experience with a bike shop in Pinetown. Asked for the price of a Holdfast bike rack and came back a few days later to purchase only to be told that the price had gone up. I explained that I had already been quoted a price verbally earlier but made no difference. I have never been back.

Attend to me within a few minutes of me walking through the door. If you are busy, tell me and I will wait "Hi, I'll be with you in a few minutes." At least I know that you know that I am there! Nothing worse that walking around for 5 minutes waiting for somebody to attend to you and being "ignored".

Charge me a fair price for labour to install regardless of where I bought my stuff.

Thanks Grebel - appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I walk in.Hi i bought this bike on the hub and i want it serviced or fixed .If i get attitude i walk .If i get friendly help and a remark .Good bargain !, i stay and buy my new gear from them .Please try and have stock .I dont want to go to cajees ,but they have stock .I try to support the shops that take an interest in some of the races .

• 1 month later...

My experience at Cycle Lab Lynwood Bridge left a bit of a bad taste.

Went for a quick lunch around the corner yesterday and thought, let me pop in and see what new Trek models they got, seeing that they have these huge Trek banners/display/advertising (call it what you want) on their shopfront windows - so they must be a Trek distributors I thought?

Anyway, my wife and I was greeted promptly by this young lad, and was asked if he could help with anything? I asked if they have any new 2013 Trek models, the FuelEX range specifically, seeing that I am riding a 2011 model and want to check out the latest model of my bike, maybe consider buying it, who knows? I could see I stumped this guy with that question, but then I thought let me try a different model, they might not have those already, so I asked for the Remedy. Again, this seemed like a trick question (more like "I don't have a clue what you are talking about mr. customer")

He said they only have the latest hard tails and Rumblefish dual suspension bikes, and that I must look on the internet for those models I had asked about. So I asked if they are Trek distributors, "Yes" he replied. I then continued to ask if they can bring in any of those models? "No, we only have these models", and that if I wanted any of those models I mentioned, I can import it myself. Neither was a more senior staff member approached to see if they can help "the customer" with his request.

Great! So those big Trek signs on the shopfront does not really mean much? And out of 24 odd (mtb)models that Trek offer you only have 2-3 options to choose from?

I then went for a ice-cream to cool down.....

Edited by BearManGuy

I work 6 days a week, and manage to get time now and again to go visit a bicycle shop for spares etc. I used to like one shop in the cbd, but after they took a shortcut with a friends bike and they didnt inform him that they used pratley steel to try and fix it I havent been there since.

Then yesterday I went to Sportsman warehouse in rondebosch. I was there for about 5 min trying to fin stuff on their pegs which had 2 to 3 items on one peg. I was completely ignored, and then this women walks in and starts complaining etc, and 3 guys start to help her. I was there for 15 min, I couldnt find what I was looking for, no one offered assistance, instead all the other people who looked like they have money were assisted. I as about to spend about R600 on spares which included tyres and tubes, but instead I just walked out. I dont like being ignored, a simple "good day can I help", "let me know if there is anything" is that so hard? Non the less this is about the 6 time I have experienced such poor service at this branch and I will definately never go there or another SWH again.

I work 6 days a week, and manage to get time now and again to go visit a bicycle shop for spares etc. I used to like one shop in the cbd, but after they took a shortcut with a friends bike and they didnt inform him that they used pratley steel to try and fix it I havent been there since.

Then yesterday I went to Sportsman warehouse in rondebosch. I was there for about 5 min trying to fin stuff on their pegs which had 2 to 3 items on one peg. I was completely ignored, and then this women walks in and starts complaining etc, and 3 guys start to help her. I was there for 15 min, I couldnt find what I was looking for, no one offered assistance, instead all the other people who looked like they have money were assisted. I as about to spend about R600 on spares which included tyres and tubes, but instead I just walked out. I dont like being ignored, a simple "good day can I help", "let me know if there is anything" is that so hard? Non the less this is about the 6 time I have experienced such poor service at this branch and I will definately never go there or another SWH again.

SMW assistants only help you as you are about to 'check out'. Then they initial your item and get the comm.

Great customer service for me means a few things:

1. If you are there often and they greet you by name

2. They advise you on the correct parts/spares even when they are cheaper.

3. When the workshop is full and you go there at 3pm on Friday and they manage to fix your problem - that same day.

4. They call you with updates on delays ect

5. Fair pricing - i would rather pay slightly mre with good service

6. They are more knowledgable than me