Road Ettiquette Cape Town, Chappies etc

Da Vinci

I know this is probably done to death and usually its the cyclists bemoaning drivers BUT u guys (and I know most probably do) have to realise it is a very viscious circle.

I am a tourguide and regularily drive Victoria drive and Chappies. WHY do cyclist insist on riding 2 and 3 abreast? And yes I will get shot for this but today it was the road bikes at fault. I'm on a large 44 seater coach today. The driver I note is very cautious around the cyclists and is giving them as wide as berth at he can. But to the lady in pink overtaking up victoria drive - PLEASE next time look before you swing out into the road - forcing my driver to swerve to avoid your. Coaches are long and heavy and wide and don't drive the way they do just to piss cyclists off. But unfortunatley as I said its a circle - u ride like an ass and I will drive like an ass... I see it every day and its sad :(

So to the groups of bikes travelling up chappies 2 and 3 abreast- I know cycling is social and fun but please be a bit more considerate to the other road users who do do their best to give you the space they can.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.......- u ride like an ass and I will drive like an ass... and soon another cyclist will end up dead.......I see it every day and its sad :(

I added what I think should be clear for all.

I ride Chappies often, always in single file (mostly alone) and I go out of my way not to give offence, but tour busses routinely pass waaaaay to close for comfort and I've had to swerve into the gutter on more than one occasion to avoid getting flattened. This happens especially on turns to the left where the driver cuts the apex of the turn and the rear half of the long bus takes a way shorter route than the front, cutting in front of the bike. From the bike it looks like the bus drivers have very little idea where the left hand side of the vehicle is.

I agree with you, however, that riding 3 abreast and blocking the traffic is totally unacceptable, anywhere.

"always in single file (mostly alone)" - not sure if that counts :rolleyes:

Must agree with you re the corner cutting, it's like the drivers either don't care or don't know what happens once the front of the coach has passed a cyclist. On my way down into Hout Bay I've also experienced them cutting across the white line blindly when coming round corners and doing this at speeds where it doesn't look as though they'd be able to stop in time if need be.

Yes, you're driving a big bus but as professionals that's something drivers should be aware of and take care to act accordingly, not use the bus/coach with an 'I'm bigger than you, get out the way' attitude.

Some people come flying down chappies and don't always stay in their lanes. It's not the argus or a race, should not take risks like that :/

Be interesting to hear from Hubbers who do drive these big vehicles - altho most will obviously be extra aware of bikes. There is definatley 2 sides to these things.

But now my "Facepalm" of the morning: Driving home on the N7 this morning - just past Dunoon - 4 Guys on Road bikes and in Kit bunched (2 2 and hugging)but within the yellow line and one of the guys closest to the line - NO HELMET :wacko:

Not only is it dangerous to try and get past 3 riders abreast, it forces the vehicle into the oncoming traffic! We almost had a head on with a truck this morning who took a really wide berth around guys riding 3 abreast! Luckily we were on our bicycles cause I reckon if I was in a car it would have ended up in tears! Consideration and mutual respect is the key to being a good road user!

Be interesting to hear from Hubbers who do drive these big vehicles - altho most will obviously be extra aware of bikes. There is definatley 2 sides to these things.

But now my "Facepalm" of the morning: Driving home on the N7 this morning - just past Dunoon - 4 Guys on Road bikes and in Kit bunched (2 2 and hugging)but within the yellow line and one of the guys closest to the line - NO HELMET :wacko:

nothing like a bit of adrenalin and brotherly love to bond a team.

I don't ride on the road anymore...not ever, But i did for very long and I've had my fair share of heartstopping experiences. Being a cyclist I'm very cycle concious on the road, but, eish, some of these roadies make it difficult not to stop a 100m in front of them and throw them with cow dung !! :D 2 Saturdays ago at the Klipheuwel intersection of R302 (from Durbanville) and R304 (to Malmesbury) early morning and in thick mist a group of about 6 to 8 cyclists ride in the direction of Malmesbury with 2 riders 500mm from the yellow line in my lane !! :eek: In the mist I was onto them so suddenly that I could not count them. I can be very lucky there was no oncoming traffic as I had to suddenly swerve ! Luckily 95% of cyclists are considerate and responsible.

And don't even get me started on the 5 % of my fellow MTBers who don't know how to slow down for pedestrians, or, no matter how many times they have to brake sharp for oncoming cars and bicycles, still cannot figure out that Jonkershoek is anti clockwise :mellow: .

Here's a difficult one - on one of the many driver safety, health and safety courses the drivers have to do - I think this one was specifically for the world cup - the drivers were told they have to hoot as they approach cyclists and pedestrians so as to warn them in advance. Do you know how often the get "flipped the bird" ? Most don't bother to warn anymore.

I rode Chappies again yesterday. Not many buses passed me but those that did were all OK in leaving me enough room. A delivery truck of some kind, however, nearly pushed me, not just into the ditch but also almost over the low wall and down to the ocean below. Again, it was on a left hand curve and he simply cut the corner without even thinking. Luckily it was on the uphill and I was going slowly and reacted quickly or my wife would have had to post something along the lines of RIP.

The hooting to warn cyclists or pedestrians is a difficult one... a sudden hoot can startle a cyclist and cause them to swerve into the line of the oncoming bus/truck/car. I feel that maybe that so called safety tip was decided on by somebody thats never cycled along a tight road with a truck bearing down on them.

At the same time the laws are very simple to understand, although theyre not really that well adhered to. The law simply states that a car/bus/truck may only pass traffic (a cyclist is included in the definition of traffic) if there is enough space and if it is safe to do so.Tthe 'safe' word stands out for me... when deciding to pass... is it safe to pass... simple... can i pass this cyclist and be 100% sure that i will not be endangering his life or others lives.

Of course the cyclists have to play along too and when an opportunity arises to pull off into a rest area or the likes and let motorised traffic pass then they should do that and not stay on the road holding up traffic just because the law says they may.Iit works both ways.Mutual respect. Just my 2c worth.

The hooting to warn cyclists or pedestrians is a difficult one... a sudden hoot can startle a cyclist and cause them to swerve into the line of the oncoming bus/truck/car.

Very true. If you going to hoot, do it well in advance. The hoot is probably going to cause the cyclist to try to look around to the right and that is going to cause him veer right.

Here's a difficult one - on one of the many driver safety, health and safety courses the drivers have to do - I think this one was specifically for the world cup - the drivers were told they have to hoot as they approach cyclists and pedestrians so as to warn them in advance. Do you know how often the get "flipped the bird" ? Most don't bother to warn anymore.

I appreciate a toot from a truck or a bus as it approaches. Its better when its done from a fair way back to serve as a warning. It gets a polite wave from me and a toot back in response. Everyone is happy.

When they come right up behind me and hoot, I get a fright and swallow my saddle :eek:

Was coming down Kloof Road above Clifton on Sunday morning. A group of 6 came flying past riding about 3 abreast. Then got stuck behind 2 cars - started tailgating them. The one car didn't really know where they wanted to go and made as if to turn off to the Roundhouse then straightened out again. Three of the cyclists had to swerve across the road into the oncoming lane - one of the guys went right into the far gutter. If there was a car coming the other way they would all have been dead! Later that morning drove down towards beach road past the circle at the end of Sea Point and there was a cyclist getting stretchered off to hospital. From what I'd seen earlier in the day it didn't surprise me at all.