Advice required on shoes

Hfx0

Hi there guys,

My left leg from Hip to ankle was mangled in motorcycle accident about a decade ago. My family refused to sign the papers authorizing the amputation and for that I’ll remain forever grateful since I’ve managed to rehabilitate the leg quite well. So much in fact that I can comfortably MTB 30KM’s-40Km’s every weekend.

The problem is that many of the nerves in my lower leg were severed making it almost impossible for me to use cleats & toe clips since my leg is just too damned dumb to clip out.

I’m comfortable using regular pedals and shoes, but it seems that my shoes are taking a BIG beating. I’ve been through 2 sets of shoes since the beginning of this year (Nike running shoes & DC Skateboarding shoes)

Can you guys recommend some normal shoes that can take a beating and won’t disintegrate from repeated washing? (Some friends recommended that I try Salomon, but at R1600 for a pair I’d like to know if they’d last)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well done on your riding. Seems you've been through a lot.

The DH guys could probably help you but speak to your LBS, they should have shoes without cleats.

Do you use toe straps? I used to (when I was a student and couldn't afford cleats) ride in rugby boots which had hard plastic soles that could take the beating from the pedals. Worked quite well but you wouldn't want to ride VERY technical stuff with boots on - getting them out was a mission!

Some MTB shoes look like takkies just dont fit the cleats and leave the cleat cover on, i had a pair of Addidas like that.

Yes, get advice from a downhill guy, they would have the best knowlegde regarding clip-less shoes that last

Get some sneakers, like Vans. Make sure it has a hard sole and the patern on the sole, waffle grid. DC skate shoes are to fat and dont really give the support. Currently have Kustom's with this sole, but will see how long the last. My Ideal though, old school VMX flat shoes. But you dont get them anymore.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0412/as_bmx_empire2_576.jpg

Can you guys recommend some normal shoes that can take a beating and won’t disintegrate from repeated washing? (Some friends recommended that I try Salomon, but at R1600 for a pair I’d like to know if they’d last)

Your friends may be right as, prior to getting my cycling shoes, I was using a pair of Salomons and they showed no sign of wear and tear at all after around 6 months of use a few times a week. I also picked them up on a special somewhere and they were under R1k. They did go through the washing machine on occasion but more often than not just got wiped down.

I'd recommend FiveTens, and a good set of long pinned pedals. They're mtb specific and grip like crazy (they use stealth rubber, the same found on rock climbing shoes). Cheaper than those Salomons too (ranging from R900 - R1400ish)

Check out www.dialdbikes.co.za for the locally available options, or crc for a bigger range (beware of import duties though).

As for pedals, flat alu cnc pedals with long pins. I use Nuke Proof Neutrons on 2 of my bikes and I'm very impressed.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

I’ll go shopping around this weekend and keep you updated.