2 km swim within 10 days??

Garfield2010

OK

I got about three sessions. 2 x 40 minute sessions and 1 x 90 minute session all in a 25m pool in which to prepare for Midmar 70.3.

I am a crap swimmer and havent swam in 6 months. Bike and run looking very good...

Simple question... given the above constraints is it better to just swim long and slow or should I do drills? Which will have the biggest impact?

If I can swim a 40min 2km I will be over the moon.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK

I got about three sessions. 2 x 40 minute sessions and 1 x 90 minute session all in a 25m pool in which to prepare for Midmar 70.3.

I am a crap swimmer and havent swam in 6 months. Bike and run looking very good...

Simple question... given the above constraints is it better to just swim long and slow or should I do drills? Which will have the biggest impact?

You must be a natural in the water if you want to do 2km in under 40 minutes on no training.

I think you should do some drills in one of the 40 min sessions and split the 90 min session up with some drills as well

Do you need to fit your legendary underwater combat moves into those sessions as well or do those just stay trained?

OK

Rather break those session in half and swim in the am and the pm. Do some constant swimmer in the morning and drills in the eve.

You must be a natural in the water if you want to do 2km in under 40 minutes on no training.

I swam 33mins for IM CH on about 10km of training and no swimming for a few months before. Very possible.

In 10 days you wont be able to improve your swim fitness much if at all so dont try and catch up now. Its more a case of getting mentaly prepared.

I would rather do 1 longish swim (max 2 km) ASAP and followed with 2 shorter swims (1 km) all at a slow and easy pace. The last swim should be long enough days before the event to ensure that your unfit swimming muscles are well rested / recovered on the day.

Doing a few hypoxic lengths might help you get ready for that out of breath feeling that sometimes happens during the swim leg of a tri

Is it a wetsuit swim? Try get hold of a sleeveless wetsuit as they are less tiring on the shoulders

Do you need to fit your legendary underwater combat moves into those sessions as well or do those just stay trained?

Thx for the advice.

I will do a bit of both. Go slow and long tonight and Sunday morning first session and from there short drills thanks.

Showtime those come naturally. I cant help it.... Its like I have torrets syndrome when I randomly attack other swimmers.

I am not scared of the swim as I am generally fit in the running and swimming so I know I will make it, it is all about finding a comfortable rythm....

Yes it is a wetsuit legal swim thank goodness. Maybe I should also practice lying on my back resting?

Yes it is a wetsuit legal swim thank goodness. Maybe I should also practice lying on my back resting?

LOL...you mean floating...lying wont help

You joke, i did a std distance tri recently and swimming mid pack after the first buoy passed a dude swimming backstroke, i watched him for awhile and he carried on swimming backstroke for the whole time that i could see him.

Might be worth the effort of getting a decent coach to look at your stoke as well - if you have issues, it might help.

Might be worth the effort of getting a decent coach to look at your stoke as well - if you have issues, it might help.

I will in the long run definately.

Swiss, I will practice "planking" in the water. How is that?

I will in the long run definately.

Swiss, I will practice "planking" in the water. How is that?

As long as you remember to breathe every stroke...

Oops i see you said planking

Ok same applies anyway... :w00t:

I'm with SwissVan here. go for a couple of drills that help you get the "feel" back of a long, relaxed stroke. Gooi 'n big pull buoy. Catch-up's etc.

Leave the rest to the wetsuit! Don't kick..haha

Edited by gadget