Rumour? Riders below u23 not on 29ers but 26+27.5" ?

Konaman

Has anybody heard of this rumour that all mtb riders below u23 age mtb categories, maybe restricted to 26" and 27.5" bikes in the future?

Got told at a bike shop the other day about this and that emails are flying around about the possibility. Is it nonsense?

I think it would be good to restrict them similarly to the road cycling juniors, using restricted gears.

As far as i am concerned its even more difficult or damaging to the legs of the youngsters on a mountain bike having all the gears available to them. Distance rules should also be strictly enforced to protect them..

No can do ! Half of the spur schools mtb challenge ride 29 ers .Even the ones that cant reach the handelbars .I think it has merit though

Surely they should limit the gearing and not the size of the frame/wheels.

Is mtb not like road where junior ratios are used?

I think it would be good to restrict them similarly to the road cycling juniors, using restricted gears.

As far as i am concerned its even more difficult or damaging to the legs of the youngsters on a mountain bike having all the gears available to them. Distance rules should also be strictly enforced to protect them..

The reasoning for the junior road restrictions, are far as I know, is that they don't want physically developing kids pushing too hard a gear which could damage them physically. I don't think that problem would be replicated on the MTB where you spin more and ride easier gears?

Or don't mind me... the attached link also explains the background and gives five reasons why their gears are restricted.

http://www.trackcyclingwa.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Junior-Gearing-Information-NR-23082012.pdf

This will open a can of worms if it happens - cost implications for those youngsters with big wheels already.

It will be good for the bike industry however, as they will sell more bikes, as riders will upsize at some stage.

That should be complete hogwash! How does your age effect the wheel size of the bike you ride? You should ride the wheel size more appropriate for your height and riding conditions. Rather restrict gearing if that will prevent damage to emerging riders. Even then, XCO generally rerquires higher cadence pedaling, so what limiting gear choice will do is beyond me....

Whoever pushes that rule through has very little/if any knowledge of cycling.

Rant over.

If i had to listen to the things i hear at LB's, SS is a passing fad and 29'ers wont be a big hit.

Interesting the LBS owner took part in the SSWC and stocks and sells 29'ers.

Surely they should limit the gearing and not the size of the frame/wheels.

Is mtb not like road where junior ratios are used?

I second this .

Road bike wheels are 29" for those who dont know so 29er mtb/ road bike same thing .

so i cant see them limiting wheel size , perhaps doing what the road guys do and having a junior cassette as its known ( limited gear ratio's )

other than that its probly just as you say a "Rumour "

Edited by Iron

Guest Omega Man

Slightly off the topic but sort of on it.

Aparently in France juniors are not allowed to compete at a national level in DH without competing in XC as well. The French cycling federation's logic being that the riders need to be fit as well as be able to do dh.

And if you look at how many rainbows have gone the way of the French downhillers they might be on to something.

Edited by Omega Man

It does not make sense to restrict them to 26" wheels because the 29' wheel has less rolling resistance which should not have such a big impact on their growing bones and ligaments etc.

Or, so they say. I'm on a 26'' so I can’t really comment.

Was that lbs perhaps out of stock of Scott and Giant 29ers???

They're gonna struggle with Giant 26er stock in 2013…

So now youngsters cannot just get a 29er and be done with it (1 bike), now they now have to own at least 2 bikes. If this rumour is true, which I doubt, it must be a push from the bike companies to boost sales.