[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #5 Hakahana

Tim_Fair

Can't specifically remember seeing the Qhubeka kit. What bike you on? I'm better at remembering those.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't specifically remember seeing the Qhubeka kit. What bike you on? I'm better at remembering those.

Giant XTC 29r

Rings a bell. Anyway, best of luck at cradle quest.

thumbup1.gif shot G, we'll still have that cold one!

FFS, I sprinted home in 4:11. Broken I was!

It's all relative, I guess. A friend of mine, who I am usually faster than took 20 minutes out of me. He had already gone and bought a beer by the time I got there! :-(

Was a tough race I thought, glad I only did the 40km considering the *** ride I had... had serious talent failure in the rock garden just after the first waterpoint which resulted in a nice end-over on the rocks - even managed to bend my big chain-ring... luckily there were some nice solid rocks around though so it was easy enough to bash back into line devil.gif

My bike is still not talking to me though whistling.gif

Climbs were pretty mean, especially in my tender state and some of those downhills were pretty hardcore - definately need to up the talent if I want to keep chugging around on a 26er hardtail...

Sorry, couldn't find you guys, no splash pool that was obvious to me, I might also have been a little out of it?

Had an awesome ride in the 40, 1:58 which is about 10 minutes off the rest of my Nissan times. Was a tough 40, still contemplating whether to make the transition to 70 next year. I enjoy belting out a quick 40 and being able to go home with minimum recovery time and get things done on the Saturday. Came 3rd in Cat and finished 2nd overall in the series. Just honestly think I should man up and do full marathon's, what's recovery time like on a tough 70.

Had an awesome ride in the 40, 1:58 which is about 10 minutes off the rest of my Nissan times. Was a tough 40, still contemplating whether to make the transition to 70 next year. I enjoy belting out a quick 40 and being able to go home with minimum recovery time and get things done on the Saturday. Came 3rd in Cat and finished 2nd overall in the series. Just honestly think I should man up and do full marathon's, what's recovery time like on a tough 70.

I am still mentally scarred, so to answer your question - recovery time is not good.wink.png

Seriously though, go for it. Being able to do the marathon means you are one step closer to stage racing, which is the most fun you can have on a bike.

That's strong on the SS!!

about 3-4 beers afterwards while discussing how awesome it was... whistling.gif

Sounds about right thumbup1.gif

Can any one tell me if we can ride the trial from last weekend the 40 or 70 km on the weekend. Is there a entrance ,parking. We really like Van Gaalens, but a new place would be nice. We did not ride race but like the area

Would it be safe?

Thank you.

jcza's post just reminded me that you're a SS nutter! That has to be the worst kind of route? Large sections that you probably spin out on followed by climbs that probably end in hike-a-bike.

jcza's post just reminded me that you're a SS nutter! That has to be the worst kind of route? Large sections that you probably spin out on followed by climbs that probably end in hike-a-bike.

It was not particularly SS-friendly. I saved some energy for the last 25 km, so I took it fairly steady in the beginning and just tried to limit my losses. Where I found myself walking, most guys walked too (C - my batch - and D-batch guys), so didn't lose out too much there. It was the fast start that found me caught by D-batchers within 15km! The flattish middle section was challenging but I found that I could just about keep position through there...

I was passed by 2 geared mates from D-batch at 17km, but I caught and passed them again at 50km. All in all, I'm happy and glad that I can survive the big-boy races now. The 94.7 mtb race this weekend should feel very tame compared to Hakahana!

Edited by divernick

It was not particularly SS-friendly. I saved some energy for the last 25 km, so I took it fairly steady in the beginning and just tried to limit my losses. Where I found myself walking, most guys walked too (C - my batch - and D-batch guys), so didn't lose out too much there. It was the fast start that found me caught by D-batchers within 15km! The flattish middle section was challenging but I found that I could just about keep position through there...

I was passed by 2 geared mates from D-batch at 17km, but I caught and passed them again at 50km. All in all, I'm happy and glad that I can survive the big-boy races now. The 94.7 mtb race this weekend should feel very tame compared to Hakahana!

I'm no expert, but I would hazard a guess that if you can mange that, you're pretty much OK for anything. Freakin' well done!