SS Chain Tensioning - What's Best?

Dirtbreath

I will let you know soon if you really need a new frame.... my slider kit is on it's way to me..... next step is to do some cutting, fitting and welding....

That sounds interesting - steel frame I hope? Are you needing to do any post heat treatment to ensure the heat affected zone on the weld stays OK?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds interesting - steel frame I hope? Are you needing to do any post heat treatment to ensure the heat affected zone on the weld stays OK?

Crome Moly frame - probably does not need any post heat treatment - I have a good welder on my side.... but we have not started yet..... soon I hope.

I'm not a metallurgy fundi, but am an engineer. That said I do have some welding design experience but wouldn't claim to be an authority at all. I did a bit of homework and found conflicting info, but some folks definitely prefer to post heat treat. If using TIG it's possibly OK. That said, your welder is probably very knowledgeable. I remember a mate always "soaking" bmx's frames but never roll cages (different welds, different thicknesses and different weld processes). Can't wait to see some progress!

Edited by Dorris_benzenout

I'm not a metallurgy fundi, but am an engineer. That said I do have some welding design experience but wouldn't claim to be an authority at all. I did a bit of homework and found conflicting info, but some folks definitely prefer to post heat treat. If using TIG it's possibly OK. That said, your welder is probably very knowledgeable. I remember a mate always "soaking" bmx's frames but never roll cages (different welds, different thicknesses and different weld processes). Can't wait to see some progress!

Luckily I have a materials engineer for a brother... I suppose the question is if brazing might not be a better alternative to Mig/Tig... we will figure it out... Jigging it is more of an issue at the moment.

Cro Mo roll cages never get any post treatment after welding that I have seen - can't see that a bike frame would be much different to a cage.

Awesome V12, can't wait. I love the idea of using an old bike but love the idea of horizontal or sliding dropouts so have been thinking about this a few days. That said I've got to get into cycling first before I delve into SS stuff. Good luck and please put progress up.

never tried them. ....find then visually offensive with the two jockey wheels....Looks just like a rear derailure

Haha, exactly. But maybe it works as well as a rear derailleur ;) I've had poor experiences with single jockey wheel tensioners.

Haha, exactly. But maybe it works as well as a rear derailleur ;) I've had poor experiences with single jockey wheel tensioners.

do you recall how I have setup my SS?

Single jocky tensioner did not work for me .Da Bomb works well thouhttp://pitstopbikes.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/tensioner_rla_da_bomb.jpg Edited by Blitzer

I forgot about that method.

Just a thought, can they be used on a fixie?

Yes

Edited by Spoke101