SS Chain Tensioning - What's Best?

Dirtbreath

When I was in the market for a dedicated SS frame, Paragon sliding dropouts were a must. I see, however, that there is a pivoting dropout. Have a look at the Yeti Big Top for their SS option.

Nice frame that! I like the pivot system. May be more rigid than the sliding system.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used a tensioner, they are ok. Really did not like the look our the friction on the system. Yes the friction is minimal, but it is still there.

Currently riding horizontal dropouts with chain tugs, and this had been great. Fortunately I have not hash to adjust the brakes on the rear yet. You can slide the wheel forward our back wards and so doing either lenten or shorten the wheelbase as you see fit.

I would live a paragon our of the pivot typed rear drop frames. The Santacruz big top also had the pivot rears B.T.W.

A std frame running a halflink to make it a SS I really do think is just a "temporary" solution, and you do not have finite control over your chain tension.

Edited by Hairy

Magic gear: perfect for about 200km before chain stretch.

Static tensioner (Gusset Bachelor): Easy and quick adjustment, quiet and reliable, perfect for the vertical drop out bikes

Horizontal Dropouts: On my current bike - easy to adjust chain tension, cleanest looking.

Paragon sliders: On the dreambike wishlist - nice to have rather than essential though.

The frame is specifically built for them. There are a few different frames with this option, Kona Unit, Ragley TD:1, Ritchey P29er amongst others.

The only other horse to run alongside this beauty is the Budnitz :thumbup:

• 8 months later...

Honestly, I ride my single speed bikes everywhere and anywhere. I recently just completed the Freedom Challenge RASA on a rigid steel Niner 34/20.

The EBB is great if it is looked after. Quick and easy to adjust the tension and if assembled properly and cleaned it is silent, no creaking at all and supplies super clean lines. The tension cup sustem works a charm as there are no grab bolts or tension issues.

Half link chains are heavy, noisy and stretch a lot. I have tried all types and they have a short lifespan if you ride hard. KMC BMX chains are the business. 1 chain went 2500km plus in 20 odd days across South Africa and is still going strong.

the issue with the swing arm tensioners and slide bolt tensioners (like on the Lynskeys) is that the bolts shake loose and occasionally strip. I have also broken the slider system on a Lynskey.

Good luck, go steel and go rigid. You wont regret it....

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a "fit and forget" option for a SS?

I'm planning on building up a SS but I'd like it to be faff free, so everything is gonna be as close to "fit and forget" as possible. Are horizontal drop outs the best bet?

• 3 months later...

I'm battling with my chain tensioning, think it might be a similar issue to what Iron had due to a slightly bent RD hangar. My bike has vertical dropouts and I have been using a On-One 'Dooser' spring style tensioner but it seems to be loosening the 'bolt' and having play, I guess due to the bent hangar.

Will see check what happens if I fit another hangar or am thinking of going the EBB route or do what Iron did with the chain guide close to the crank.

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread. ^_^

I have a simple Alu Silverback frame with vertical dropouts. I run a halflink chain. I had the On-One spring loaded chain tensioner on it for about 3 rides. It is noisy and ugly. I removed it, shortened the chain, changed to 32/16 and did 1000+ effortless km's on it. I have some chain stretch, but no chain drop op skipping yet. Magic gear is therefore still working like a charm.

I got hooked on the whole SS idea now. Loving every pedal stroke on it! I guess I will now invest in a real SS frame. On-One Inbred looks like the way to go. Are they available in RSA or is import from UK the option?

(I am price sensitive :ph34r: and not a racing snake.)

Is there a "fit and forget" option for a SS?

I'm planning on building up a SS but I'd like it to be faff free, so everything is gonna be as close to "fit and forget" as possible. Are horizontal drop outs the best bet?

Paragon sliders are really as good as it gets...

Interesting thread. ^_^

I have a simple Alu Silverback frame with vertical dropouts. I run a halflink chain. I had the On-One spring loaded chain tensioner on it for about 3 rides. It is noisy and ugly. I removed it, shortened the chain, changed to 32/16 and did 1000+ effortless km's on it. I have some chain stretch, but no chain drop op skipping yet. Magic gear is therefore still working like a charm.

I got hooked on the whole SS idea now. Loving every pedal stroke on it! I guess I will now invest in a real SS frame. On-One Inbred looks like the way to go. Are they available in RSA or is import from UK the option?

(I am price sensitive :ph34r: and not a racing snake.)

Get an inbred from the UK. Pity about the exchange rate at the moment.....

I also tried the "on-one-doofer" tensioner on my road s/speed. It is noisy and have a lot of sideways play, especially if you use a single speed chain.

Now I am running 16/47 magic gear with a normal single speed chain(KMC510hx). Before that I used a homemade tensioner with a roller that pushes the chain up and then lock with bolt. Works perfectly with any chain and is very quiet.

post-24452-0-37301900-1391609616_thumb.jpg

How about this, bit different, haha... and works on vert dropout.

post-28006-0-61163500-1392294450_thumb.jpg

Must be a bitch to line up chainring and cog and all the other stuff to get it to work