The solution to (drunk) motorists killing other road users? Opinions/Suggestions:

Bennie Dikwiel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this thread is old but I just felt like giving my opinion

Ok. So I have read most of this thread and it’s actually shocking. Not the Andre Gouws part but the part where most of you say things without thinking clearly about what you are actually saying.

Now yes I do know Mr Gouws in person. Or well use to long ago. Out of personal experience I know for a fact that he is rather misguided in some of his ways.

The fact that he got into his car under the influence was a mistake. A choice he made yes.

He made the choice of wearing the shirt he had on. Maybe he wasn’t thinking when he did that or who knows. The meaning of the shirt “cleverly disguised as a responsible person” actually implies that the person wearing it is still a child. Which Mr Gouws is to some extent. Regardless of his age

Should he have known better, Yes

Should he learn a lesson and pay for his mistakes. Yes

But the thing is. How he pays for his mistakes is not for any of us to decide. He is misguided in his ways. They want to charge him with murder. Now the problem with that is that it was not pre-meditated or even a choice. If he made the choice to run over a cyclist then yes throw him in jail or even bring the death penalty back but I doubt he made that choice.

Now a lot of people on this thread say and wish that he dies or gets sodomized repeatedly in jail etc. How does that make you different? It actually makes you worse in some ways. Andre did not make the choice to kill someone. Some of you actually willingly choose to wish death upon him. You want physical and emotional harm to be caused to a person that made bad choices. Understandable to some extent but how does that make you better than him or anyone? Out of anger people say and do all kinds of things that are irrational and stupid. Out of fear people take similar actions and make similar choices. Out of stupidity the same. I can go on and on about this but the truth is

None of you know what the emotional state of Andre was when all of this happened. All we know is he was under the influence. Probably passed out at a braai or party or something. Woke up early still intoxicated and then wanted to drive home. He then, still under the influence and half asleep, crashed into a cyclist and killed him. Out of fear he then drove off. Etc etc. My point here is not to make his actions right or take blame away from him. The point im trying to make is that he made one big mistake and that was getting into his car. Everything after that was not a choice he made with 100% clarity. He made bad choices in an already bad situation. Does this mean he is a monster or that he has to die because of it? I don’t know but I don’t think so. He is responsible for what happened yes. He chose to drive that car. And thats the only crime he really commited. Driving under the influence. Everything after that was an accident and misguided thinking from a person who wasn’t fully awake and wasn’t sober and then had emotions of fear and shock added onto that as the accident happened.

Andre has to pay for his crimes. Crimes of fleeing the scene and driving under the influence. He made a mistake and made bad choices which lead to someone losing their life. I personally do not think he murdered someone. Yes someone died because of his actions but it was a mistake. I do feel that he has to pay for his actions somehow. Be it jail time or whatever else.

The hate and sarcasm on this thread is understandable. But by reading what a lot of you say I feel that a lot of you aren’t any better than Mr Gouws. This thread shows how easy it is to make bad decisions.

I guess me posting this is my bad decision

Now the topic of this thread is Opinions and suggestions...

The legal age of drinking should be raised to 21. Problem is the government won’t like this because they lose money. The tax on cigarettes and alcohol is ridiculous.

Cycling should be limited to specific areas and times only. Problem is some people actually use their cycles for transport. And yes I know it’s silly of me to say this on a forum filled with cyclist but the attitude of cyclists on the road is frustrating.

Parks should be put up for cyclist where no cars are allowed. Problem is how do you get there with your bike in the first place.

Bike Lanes? Who wants to pay more taxes towards the government for that?

Doesn’t matter how you try and solve this problem there is always something that will stand against it.

Drunk driving is a huge issue in south Africa. Bad driving too. People have no respect for the laws on the road anymore. Be it people who drive cars or bikes or whatever. Things are getting worse in this country and the only way things will get better is if everyone can just take a step back, re-examine the situation or look at the bigger picture and ask yourself, How is what you are doing now making a difference?

My condolences to the victims family

I hope and pray Andre makes a change to himself and learns from his mistakes.

Edited by NeutralThinking

They want to charge him with murder. Now the problem with that is that it was not pre-meditated or even a choice.

He got into a car drunk and drove it, he had a choice!

I had words with the driver just past 8am this morning here in Seaview where he was arrested, drunk out of his skull, almost 20km from where he killed the cyclist and ran. All I can say is that I hope justice will be served and that he gets found guilty of murder, and serves his 25 years...

Very sad-

The picture tells all.

post-2-0-74035000-1349949871_thumb.jpg

And you blanked out the number plate why?

They want to charge him with murder. Now the problem with that is that it was not pre-meditated or even a choice.

He got into a car drunk and drove it, he had a choice!

Yes and I SAID THAT IN MY POST...

Go read that again.

@ Neutralthinking:

For me the murder charge should be not because he knocked down the cyclist. Rather because he chose the flee the scene. He chose not to face the results of his actions. So yes he got into his car drunk. He accidently knocked over the cyclist. but he chose to flee. Murder charge.

Yes and I SAID THAT IN MY POST...

Go read that again.

Your chommie is going down my friend. Where he evidently belongs.

It should be a murder charge, he got into a vehicle drunk, hit a cyclist, did not have the balls to stop and fled the scene like the coward he is.

I get that. Im guessing he ran out of fear and shock and not wanting to be held responsible.

The term murder is wrong and blows the topic out of proportion.

its Involuntary manslaughter

People are branding him as a murderer which isn't accurate. I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for saying all of this but its the truth.

Im not trying to defend him. Just looking at the entire situation without any biased opinion or hate.

He made very bad decisions and has to pay for those decisions but he didnt decide to kill someone.

i know people are going on about his choices and im not defending choices. Just trying to put it in perspective

Your chommie is going down my friend. Where he evidently belongs.

It should be a murder charge, he got into a vehicle drunk, hit a cyclist, did not have the balls to stop and fled the scene like the coward he is.

He is not my friend. Never was. I personally have nothing good to say about him

None of you know what the emotional state of Andre was when all of this happened.

Andre has to pay for his crimes. Crimes of fleeing the scene and driving under the influence.

And what emotional state is the family left with? Their loved one's life was taken away and in your view the punishment shouldn't acknowledge this (the death)?

Would this then just be yet another pointless death in SA? I mean, for gods sake, he took someone else's life and now he should have the right to freely live his? I don't think so!!!

And what emotional state is the family left with? Their loved one's life was taken away and in your view the punishment shouldn't acknowledge this (the death)?

Would this then just be yet another pointless death in SA? I mean, for gods sake, he took someone else's life and now he should have the right to freely live his? I don't think so!!!

Omg.

I am referring to when this happened. you mentioning the emotional state of the family has no bearing on the point i was making.

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?

I said he has to pay for his actions. I was only giving perspective on those actions and the situation.

eek.gif Seriously dude did you really think you gonna come onto this forum and try and be objective about anything !! The HUB aka "cycle GODS " have already made a decision and thats it !! Don't try and use logic or anything else to sway them !! The more you try and debate with them the more stupid they get !

I am wondering if this is perhaps the lawyer trying to set a scenario of some point to use in either the criminals defense or in mitigation of sentencing the criminal should justice actually be served in this situation.

Omg.

I am referring to when this happened. you mentioning the emotional state of the family has no bearing on the point i was making.

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?

I said he has to pay for his actions. I was only giving perspective on those actions and the situation.

Indeed we do read and it comes across that you have some reason to defend him! To put into perspective...the cyclist killed in Kalk Bay by the SOBER bus driver who didn't flee the scene should now be charged with the same crime as someone who decided to kill someone and flee (you mentioned Involuntary manslaughter?) because he was drunk? They are 2 totally different 'crimes' and should def not be treated the same!

The drunken murdering of drivers on the road doesn't only apply to cycling but cars as well. If you make the decision to drink, get drunk, drive, and ultimately kill someone then you should be charged with murder, plain and simple!