Mugging & Attempted Mugging - Paarden Island bike lane (near N1)

Rydogg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the guy that they tried to mug at around 5:30pm last night. As I rode under the N1, I could see one guy standing alone but I was alert and looked out for anyone else. I managed to avoid being robbed but sustained some serious roasties and a stuffed shoulder. I spent the evening at Constantiaberg Hospital getting x-rays. Thankfully nothing broken. The chap that kicked me off my bike was very calm and cool and I got the impression that they have done this before. I ride this route a couple of times a week and haven't had any isses until now but we need now to be on the lookout.

This chap was standing very casually looking away from me and his mate was hiding so I didn't suspect anything. I have reported this incident to PPA and asked that they report it to the City of Cape Town. There needs to be more visible policing along that route. That section is very remote and quiet so it is the ideal place for muggings.

I was mugged at Gympie Street a few years ago ... the cops knew exactly which house and got my bike back. A little tikhead jumped on my bike in Sir lowry Road while i was talking to someone (1 metre away) but I got that back too. Maybe I've been lucky.

But ja, after the Gympie incident I used to ride De waal Drive if going from town to the South.

The BRT cycle path issue has been raised at the Albert Road cycle path meeting and many said they prefer the road simply because there are people around (positive and negative though).

Surely there can be some way to utilise the security at the BRT stations? There are cameras in the area.

And my word, I'm impressed at how quickly MyCiti and Helen are on to this. Damn, I love Cape Town. We'll call Gauteng slaapstad from now on.

I was the guy that they tried to mug at around 5:30pm last night. As I rode under the N1, I could see one guy standing alone but I was alert and looked out for anyone else. I managed to avoid being robbed but sustained some serious roasties and a stuffed shoulder. I spent the evening at Constantiaberg Hospital getting x-rays. Thankfully nothing broken. The chap that kicked me off my bike was very calm and cool and I got the impression that they have done this before. I ride this route a couple of times a week and haven't had any isses until now but we need now to be on the lookout.

This chap was standing very casually looking away from me and his mate was hiding so I didn't suspect anything. I have reported this incident to PPA and asked that they report it to the City of Cape Town. There needs to be more visible policing along that route. That section is very remote and quiet so it is the ideal place for muggings.

Thanks for commenting here! So sorry to hear that you had to go through this experience. Just glad that you did not suffer a more serious health issue as a result!

The city will never get around this problem. Not unless they have a dedicated team who are visible and monitor this which seems like an extremely expensive fix to this problem. It's time someone looked at an alternative route for cyclists to avoid using this stretch all together. I stand by the fact that this should be alongside the harbour fencing into town in full view of the N1 and HIGHLY visible.

Was riding on the cycle lane last week and saw the huge , man made hole in the fence. It's where the bridge over the railway line starts, coming from Paarden Eiland side. The vagrants made the hole for easy commute to wherever they need to go. Saw 3 of them come across from the other side of the road to climb through the hole. It makes the area between the tunnel and the bridge a prime mugging hotspot.

Was riding on the cycle lane last week and saw the huge , man made hole in the fence. It's where the bridge over the railway line starts, coming from Paarden Eiland side. The vagrants made the hole for easy commute to wherever they need to go. Saw 3 of them come across from the other side of the road to climb through the hole. It makes the area between the tunnel and the bridge a prime mugging hotspot.

Repairing the fence means it will only be modified again when these perps get tired of walking the long way round. It's a temporary fix, not a solution. Therein lies the issue as this will always be the potential muggers first route of escape.

I'll add my voice:

City of Cape Town:

1. Get the fence fixed, I've watched it for a few months now, and the hole keeps getting bigger. Time to fix it!

2. Get a security presence in that area like you did under the flyover bridges near the station (Btw, well done on that one).

If you don't, people like myself and my children will stop using the cycle lane and your non-motorised transport plan will fall apart before it could even get off the ground.

Glad you're (relatively) okay Semisub. Always a *** experience, but we can't let it stop us. We can't hand our city over to a few sh**heads.

Glad you're (relatively) okay Semisub. Always a *** experience, but we can't let it stop us. We can't hand our city over to a few sh**heads.

thanks for the support. The City is concerned and asked me to send them a report - which I duly did. hopefully we will some visible policing in this area in the near futue.

Very impressed with how the cycling community gets together to make sure these types of things are attended to.We're a large community so our voice certainly carries some weight.

Also impressed with how the City normally responds ... they without a doubt are responsive and support the feedback.

Last shout out goes to Cape Talk ... if you have a real problem get them onto it and they will make sure you get a prompt response.

Very impressed with how the cycling community gets together to make sure these types of things are attended to.We're a large community so our voice certainly carries some weight.

Also impressed with how the City normally responds ... they without a doubt are responsive and support the feedback.

Last shout out goes to Cape Talk ... if you have a real problem get them onto it and they will make sure you get a prompt response.

so true, iv mailed cape talk and keino about this problem, they usually take care of things like this :) i mailed keino when my boyfriend had to go to somerset hospital cos he isnt on a medical aid and their service was absolutely horendous even after complaining to them. they sorted him out chopchop after that. was very chuffed bout that!

so true, iv mailed cape talk and keino about this problem, they usually take care of things like this :) i mailed keino when my boyfriend had to go to somerset hospital cos he isnt on a medical aid and their service was absolutely horendous even after complaining to them. they sorted him out chopchop after that. was very chuffed bout that!

love it how they get so involved in the CT community ... and they don't take **** from anyone ... if someone gives them a vague and useless answer they really get on their case

I always cycle through the harbour side, as I mainly do training rides by myself, so i used the cycle lanes until I can get to the harbour....never have problems with security, always people roaming around there so rather safe...only downside is crossing all the railway lines. I must admit it really sucks not being able to cycle everywhere like we used to....just glad you ok as it could have been worse.

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Guys, I'll take a photo of the cannister I have and post it here.

Actually bought mine from a Security store (cannot remember the name now, but most big Malls has one inside).

Cost me about R150.00, and it came with a velcro strap you can use to attach it either to your arm/wrist, or your bike.

Hi all,

Just an update on this incident.

The City was prompt in getting touch with us after the various posts here and tweets about the incident yesterday and representatives were quickly connected with the victim in this incident.

Here is an update from the City (forwarded by semisub):

Incidents like these must please be reported to transport.info@capetown.gov.za or 0800 65 64 63.

The incident was also brought to IRT Operations attention via Cllr Brett Herron and is receiving urgent attention.

They have recently been in contact with the neighbouring entity who erected the fence, but am pleased to report that an order for repair has finally been issued and our service provider should be doing the repair work very soon.

The City is also investigating other methods of monitoring the area and SAPS and Law Enforcement were requested to patrol the area more frequently.

They have assured us of their commitment to explore all available options to ensure the safety of cyclists and pedestrians in the area.