Could this be the end of Chappies for us?

Wannabe

Im not surprised we're on the verge of being banned fro riding chappies.... Saturday morning was an eye opener for me - never seen such a blatant lack of accountability from anyone...particularly not adults who should have some sense....

Group 2: Not too much further down, came across a second group. LITERALLY SPREAD ACROSS THE ENTIRE ROAD. to top it off, they retards that were on the wrong side(i.e in front of me trying to go downhill) were so busy admiring the scenery that they werent even watching the road ahead. Because i have more than 2 braincells to rub together i saw the danger in the situation and called out a 'heads up'. (exact words). after quickly moving over, the offending retards then proceeded to throw abuse at me!!! WTF!!!

I finished my descent, turned around and started heading back up. Seeing red by this point i was determined to catch up and have words with the main culprit, but when i caught up and saw how pitiful his attempt at climbing was, I couldnt. (Yes RETARD, that was me that came back past and rode your face through the floor).

Spelling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoendYt_ZJ0

edit: better link

Edited by CarbonDual29er

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you see a bunch acting like a douche then call them on it. The more times they get a word the more they'll realise that they are in the minority.

That's one of the things surfing has right, you get called on bad behaviour from when you are a grom. Across the world if you're in a new spot and not being respectful someone will let you know quick smart.

Well, I decided last night, after having given up for the sake of my own serenity, to call 2 chops dangerously jumping a red traffic light at the Baxter Theatre, Main Rd, Rosebank, C Town, by a very brief tap on the hooter and a shake of the head, only to be met with the finger and words I don't want my children to learn from strangers. My car looked like a Christmas tree with 3 bikes on the roof, so they knew I was a fellow cyclist, they knew they were in the wrong, they knew it was only my sharpish anticipation that kept them both from entangling themselves with my bullbar backed up by 2 tons of steel. Despite the fact that because of me, they made it home alive to their hopefully loving families, they still made me feel abused and upset. I doubt I'll be calling any more chops soon. Sorry.blush.png

Well, I decided last night, after having given up for the sake of my own serenity, to call 2 chops dangerously jumping a red traffic light at the Baxter Theatre, Main Rd, Rosebank, C Town, by a very brief tap on the hooter and a shake of the head, only to be met with the finger and words I don't want my children to learn from strangers. My car looked like a Christmas tree with 3 bikes on the roof, so they knew I was a fellow cyclist, they knew they were in the wrong, they knew it was only my sharpish anticipation that kept them both from entangling themselves with my bullbar backed up by 2 tons of steel. Despite the fact that because of me, they made it home alive to their hopefully loving families, they still made me feel abused and upset. I doubt I'll be calling any more chops soon. Sorry.blush.png

Good on ya! I reckon the call from the car will 99% be met with a bit of bravado from the other side, bikes on top or not. It's a different matter if you call it on a bike going past them or if people are constantly zipping past pointing out what a douche you're being.

You should call it again, only way people are going to get the message is if people are pointing it out repeatedly. Surely people are not going to roll over and let some inconsiderate riders potentially cut out chappies for us?

From the latest PPA newsletter.

WILL CYCLISTS BE BANNED ON CHAPMANS PEAK?

Several complaints have been received by the operators regarding the behaviour of cyclists on Chapman’s Peak, riding abreast and/or taking up the whole road. This has prompted discussions of banning cycling on Chappies. This cannot happen! Please ride responsibly: Keep left, and make sure the cyclists who ride around you do the same. Let's keep Chappies open for cyclists.

Who or what is PPA

I have asked myself the question the past few week - why are the big tour busses even allowed on Chapmans Peak drive heading from Hout Bay to Noordhoek? On the decent I have never seen 1 going down without having parts of it over a solid white line. Why is something allowed on a road if it cannot manage the road safely / legally? You don't find busses (well I think once it happened) trying to go down the road in Muizenberg with the low railway bridge - do you? These busses are probably the season why their is a 20km/h speed limit on the pass in the other direction - actually good for cyclist!

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/21179_10151300309190310_1644690418_n.jpg

You okes think you have a problem....... we have coot crazy hillbillies that smoke magic mushrooms in the Cradle of Mankind (they may be descendants of primitive Homo Erectus) with heavy steel bullbars on their Landcruisers. Some are even dumping matt black sprayed thumbtacks (duimspuikers) on the road.

I have asked myself the question the past few week - why are the big tour busses even allowed on Chapmans Peak drive heading from Hout Bay to Noordhoek? On the decent I have never seen 1 going down without having parts of it over a solid white line. Why is something allowed on a road if it cannot manage the road safely / legally? You don't find busses (well I think once it happened) trying to go down the road in Muizenberg with the low railway bridge - do you? These busses are probably the season why their is a 20km/h speed limit on the pass in the other direction - actually good for cyclist!

bad example, about once a month it happens! best time was when the SAB truck tried to run the gauntlet there. Bergies popped up from out the woodwork in seconds, even wizids was empty.

but back to the point, chappies is a HUGE tourist route. they'll stop cyclists before they stop the busses. okes must just respect the road, be it on a bike or in a car. be it on chappies or kerkstraat. I actually think a bumper sticker or a marker or something could be brought out that both cyclists and cars can display. it would say that you RESPECT the road laws and don't act like a D005 on them. Maybe a red rubber band that you could put round your seatpost, tow hitch, number plate etc.

cyclist jumps a light and you hoot, he sees you have the RESPECT badge and realises that's why you'r hooting.

works both ways, and a cyclist could point to the jobbie on his seatpost if a driver is being a chop in traffic by cutting people off etc.

even worse if the oke has the badge and still rides like a chop.

just an idea.

bad example, about once a month it happens! best time was when the SAB truck tried to run the gauntlet there. Bergies popped up from out the woodwork in seconds, even wizids was empty.

but back to the point, chappies is a HUGE tourist route. they'll stop cyclists before they stop the busses. okes must just respect the road, be it on a bike or in a car. be it on chappies or kerkstraat. I actually think a bumper sticker or a marker or something could be brought out that both cyclists and cars can display. it would say that you RESPECT the road laws and don't act like a D005 on them. Maybe a red rubber band that you could put round your seatpost, tow hitch, number plate etc.

cyclist jumps a light and you hoot, he sees you have the RESPECT badge and realises that's why you'r hooting.

works both ways, and a cyclist could point to the jobbie on his seatpost if a driver is being a chop in traffic by cutting people off etc.

just an idea.

Cyclists should pay licences for road use and it should be compulsary to have a identifyable number plate. It would make many a ignoramus think twice before behaving badly.

just an idea.

good idea with the marking. will force us to abde by the road rules, cause lets face it, we all break them

You okes think you have a problem....... we have coot crazy hillbillies that smoke magic mushrooms in the Cradle of Mankind (they may be descendants of primitive Homo Erectus) with heavy steel bullbars on their Landcruisers. Some are even dumping matt black sprayed thumbtacks (duimspuikers) on the road.

The situation in the Cradle is no different. I cycle and live there. Go and have a look any weekend how badly the cyclists behave on that road as if its their right to own the whole road. Yes, not all of the cyclists behave badly but if 3 or 4 do on a 20k stretch of road the perception has been created for the motorists. The large club rides are the biggest problem, riding from the verge to the middle line. God forbid any motorist to hoot at them to give way and you will have 30 cyclists giving you the bird - and then we wonder why the locals dump tacks all over the road? This would never have started to happen if the cyclists behaved themselves on the road. Lets not blame speeding cars, truck or busses for our own poor behaiviour. No reasonable person would have any objection to cyclists using any public road if they stuck to the rules and at least offerred an apology instead of the middle finger when they make a mistake on the road. Now that would be a good start!

Edited by MuddyMike

The situation in the Cradle is no different. I cycle and live there. Go and have a look any weekend how badly the cyclists behave on that road as if its their right to own the whole road. Yes, not all of the cyclists behave badly but if 3 or 4 do on a 20k stretch of road the perception has been created for the motorists. The large club rides are the biggest problem, riding from the verge to the middle line. God forbid any motorist to hoot at them to give way and you will have 30 cyclists giving you the bird - and then we wonder why the locals dump tacks all over the road? This would never have started to happen if the cyclists behaved themselves on the road. Lets not blame speeding cars, truck or busses for our own poor behaiviour. No reasonable person would have any objection to cyclists using any public road if they stuck to the rules and at least offerred an apology instead of the middle finger when they make a mistake on the road. Now that would be a good start!

Read my other post where I state that cyclists should pay a bicycle license fee AND a numbered plate that will identify them. Maybe they will then behave. Not a well loved suggestion but one that can solve many problems.

Edited by eccentric1

Read my other post where I state that cyclists should pay a bicycle license fee AND a numbered plate that will identify them. Maybe they will then behave. Not a well loved suggestion but one that can solve many problems.

I agree with you 110% as all road users from Bikes to Trucks should be licensed and transgressors should be prosecuted for breaking the rules. When there is no recourse against breaking the rules then the rules will continue to be broken. Yes its an inconvenience, but it will save lives.

I agree with you 110% as all road users from Bikes to Trucks should be licensed and transgressors should be prosecuted for breaking the rules. When there is no recourse against breaking the rules then the rules will continue to be broken. Yes its an inconvenience, but it will save lives.

I'm not against this....but for ALLL my bikes?!

will have to be really cheap, like R5 so all bikeriders will get one.

I'm not against this....but for ALLL my bikes?!

will have to be really cheap, like R5 so all bikeriders will get one.

hahaha, good point. even if its just the rider that gets licensed or even if it super cheap. Just some way to ID the rider. I remember this was the case in the 70's (yes I am that old ph34r.png ) that bikes had to be licensed.

Many years ago one had to license your bicycle at the post office, and you would receive a metal disc I think. This was when I was very small before I had my first bike, so dont know the ins outs about mayeb someone here does