Cyclists and red traffic lights

MtbCpt

An example was on one of BMC Fan's famour Hels trips where we went out and  swooshed through a red light in Stellenbosch.  Why' date=' because the first guy did it and everyone folowed.  Why?  Because no one wants to be the wet blanket who berates the rest.  At the next light, before Helshoogte,  Marius and I stopped, but chatting to him it was obvious that we did because w felt sure we could catch up.

It's all part of the mob mentatlity and "I'm a real cyclist and that's what we do" mindset.  We all have it and we should just sit back and take the abuse.

[/quote']

Yup, correct like a bunch of sheep.

I am not a policeman, so in situations like this, I just quietly fall out of the bunch, and more and more folk are doing the same.

We all want "them" to change, taxis,motorists, truckers, bikers, pedestrians whatever, but we dont want to change.

We want to still run lights,stop signs whatever and when someone is injured or killed we want to cry foul.

Wash your own window first, before criticizing anothers dirty window.   

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I maintain the following.

Me 60 Kg's

Car 800 Kg's

I am going to loose everytime and you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that one out.

well put both Widget and MuXie

anyone who's ever cycled with me knows my views on this so i won't add anything more!
slowpoke2008-01-22 06:25:38

Still say, at 04:00 in the morning I slow down, look and then go, red or not.  But, when it gets busy, I stop!

Still say' date=' at 04:00 in the morning I slow down, look and then go, red or not.  But, when it gets busy, I stop![/quote']

I do the same when I'm in my car, guess who'se gonna hurt more.

Still say' date=' at 04:00 in the morning I slow down, look and then go, red or not.  But, when it gets busy, I stop![/quote']

The guy on the scooter?

Mampara, don't make like your name!!!!!  READ my post.  I SLOW down and LOOK and then go.  I stop if I see a car, whether the light is red or not!!!

The guy on the scooter?

EXCELLENT

We have been here before haven't we? So after about 20 pages of posts we will end up with half justifying why they run red lights and the rest of us saying it's wrong...

kiwi, we got a choice here.

We start 'n new topic to fight, or we save server space and fight this one. or We can go over to the technical side and join the cannondale lefty fight.

My pa het altyd gese:

"As jy nie wil hoor nie, moet jy voel"

popeye2008-01-22 06:49:32

Why stop at 4 in the morning at a red traffic light when theres nothing happening? You'll look like a phucking idiot! and then end up in hospital for getting stabbed for a mobile or whatever else you carry in your pockets.

You guys are obviously not married, if my wife says stop, Cry I stop, same applies to red traffic lights.(Most of the time)LOL