The Rand. RIP

Witkop

Just as the Rand started a short run of stability after the strikes, EISHKOM decided to ask for an increase of electricity tarrifs and "oops we did it again" the rand goes into a freefall.

IS there a conspiracy to get the rand to 10 to the US$1 by Christmas?

Just as the Rand started a short run of stability after the strikes, EISHKOM decided to ask for an increase of electricity tarrifs and "oops we did it again" the rand goes into a freefall.

thumbup1.gif

It's simply a vicious economic circle!

If the rand weakens exporters make more money and importers up their pricing. Visitors pay less for their holiday and travellers pay more.

I feel very sorry for the okes going overseas this December. The exchange rate will at least increase our GDP, and lots of tourists will be coming to SA this holiday. Going to be dirt cheap for them.

Maybe the amended info act isn't such a bad idea then.ph34r.png

The $/ZAR will not go to 10,0000 by year end,that you can put your money on lol.You will probably see a trading range of 8,40 to 9,20.

This still makes offshore travel etc expensive whilst foreigners will have a cheap holiday.

On the one hand the exporters love these levels but on the other,importers obviously cry.Our petrol price is therefore rather vulnerable to an increase again.

In simple terms,due to the difference in interest rates between ourselves and most of our trading partners,the ZAR should weaken over a period of time.

It is still good to have some money invested offshore.

And CRC prices goes through the roof.....cursing.gif

I have to confess that it is all my fault that the rand is going South. I looked and started to think about ordering from CRC, that was enough. I promise not to go near CRC for the next little while, so you can expect the Rand to strengthen considerably.

It's simply a vicious economic circle!

If the rand weakens exporters make more money and importers up their pricing. Visitors pay less for their holiday and travellers pay more.

In a perfect world Yes I would agree, but SA is far from perfect unfortunately, and as our figures clearly show we are importing substantially more than we export, especially now with the labour unrest, so in general a drop in our currency impacts the average citizen quite dramatically.

Of course one of our biggest imports is oil and one that effects us the most, so also expect fuel to rise again next month, with the resultant increases this brings to ones daily cost of living, and you can immediately see a stable currency at fair levels is extremely important.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

don't buy gold stocks , buy gold

Glad i am working abroad at the moment, at least i can smile a bit with some things