Tour de France 2013

jcza

Am I right in thinking that Alpe d'Huez only has one road up to the summit?

How are they going to climb it twice in one stage?

Stage leaders coming down while the peloton goes up?

Surely not!

I stand corrected here.

No - it's a mountain with two sides: the traditional side with the legendary switchbacks and then the backside that's always ignored: the Col de Sarenne.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My money is on Sagan again...he shut that little Cavendish up for once as he thought he dominated the sprinting in road races...

Pray tell, when did Sagan out sprint Cavendish in a flat end-sprint with lead out team?

And here's confirmation of what I was talking about - see the profile of stage 18.

They race up the front side of the Alpe then down the back side (the Sarenne), then a loop back round to the front again for round 2.

post-22004-0-36675400-1351145416_thumb.jpg

Well thats kind of my point, the individual TT is often called the race of truth yet Cancellara who is one of the best TT's has no chance.....and he can climb btw but just not like a mountain goat on roids

I guess i'll just have to keep dreaming about a 3 week long Classic type (Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Milan San remo) type of race

Spartacus has already said that he doesn't want to ride in the Tour; he only wants to concentrate on the classics.

I guess we'll see if his paymasters allow him to have his way.

The worst kept secret in cycling for the last couple of months.

Actually the double climb of the Alpe is the only thing everyone has been confident about in terms of the route announcement, and that's because the backside of the mountain - the Col de Sarenne - has not been raced in modern times due to its very bad road surface (pic below). There has been a lot of frenetic resurfacing of that pass at the moment so that it will be fully tarred by race day.

They shouldnt repair that road. Would be awesome to watch a bit of cyclocross on the tdf.

Also agree that race radio should be out for the tour. Think it would add a historical element: let the guys really prove who the real winner is!

And here's confirmation of what I was talking about - see the profile of stage 18.

They race up the front side of the Alpe then down the back side (the Sarenne), then a loop back round to the front again for round 2.

think I'm going to put in leave for that day...

That didn't take long: Wiggo to concentrate on Giro and support Froome in TdF. (rumour)

Wiggins has said this himself. Must say I am surpised (and impressed), I didn't think he'd do this willingly - but the attitude more than vindicates Froome sacrificing himself last year for Wiggins. Just hope Froome can bring his best form to the tour next year - should be fascinating between him and Berto. Edited by dracs

http://www.cyclingne...ather-christmas

The Giro has 3 TT's totalling 88km (albeit one is an uphill TT) while the Tour has one 33km TT. It makes sense from that perspective, but the Tour is usually a lot tougher that the Tour so we'll see how that works out for him. Excited to see Froomedog taking to the likes of Contador and Schleck. Andy could actually be in with a shout with such a short TT, though the Tour is Contador's to lose.

incorrect i think?

http://www.letour.fr...rall-route.html

4 Team time-trial Tuesday, July 2nd Nice > Nice

25 km

11 Individual time-trial Wednesday, July 10th Avranches > Mont-Saint-Michel 33 km

17 Individual time-trial Wednesday, July 17th Embrun > Chorges 32 km

so 55km of ITT, exlcuding the prologue

edit:formatting

Edited by The Dictator

I am really excited with this route as announced yesterday. With less TT and proper hard mountains it's going to be a classic. Fitting for the100th edition of this great race.

Also interesting that Wiggo is already saying he's going to be supporting FroomeDog for the win. And with Cav on a dedicated sprinters team with Tony Martin I predict vinnige trap taking 8 stages.

Wiggins has said this himself. Must say I am surpised (and impressed), I didn't think he'd do this willingly - but the attitude more than vindicates Froome sacrificing himself last year for Wiggins. Just hope Froome can bring his best form to the tour next year - should be fascinating between him and Berto.

Agreed! Wiggo must have a heart beneath it all. I was starting to think Froom played it to hard in the tour this year and Wiggo would be to arrogant to give someone else a chance.

Im 100% sure it was not his call though..but would have also liked the likes of Contador going up agains them all at the same time..TT and climbs

Agreed! Wiggo must have a heart beneath it all. I was starting to think Froom played it to hard in the tour this year and Wiggo would be to arrogant to give someone else a chance.

Im 100% sure it was not his call though..but would have also liked the likes of Contador going up agains them all at the same time..TT and climbs

True - maybe not entirely willingly! If its a team instruction I reckon the fact the Giro route is a good one for him would have helped the team making that decison and also helped wiggins acceptance of it.

“It’s Froome I fear the most,” he said. “He’s very dangerous in the mountains and he was the strongest climber this year.”

'Berto, Velonews.

Wiggo, about Froome Dog growing sideburns:

Defending champion Wiggins admitted that he was happy to help Froome, while sacrificing his chances in the Tour to concentrate on the Giro.

“It’s more than likely that I’ll ride in a supporting role for Chris,” said the Olympic time trial champion. “I just want to be in a successful team, and if that’s Chris then so be it. He’ll have to grow some sideburns, though.

“My objective will be the Giro.”

From TdF 2010, I think...

Trying to figure out what everyone, except Andy, is looking at.

Maybe they're looking at Andy...

http://inrng.com/medias/TdF/wiggins/wigginstour2009a.jpg