Cyclist knocked down in St James this morning

babse

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an incident yesterday at the intersection of Sandown and Milner. Light turned green for me turning left onto Milner towards the common at about 6am. Driver came speeding down Milner Road in a bakkie from the Kromboom Road intersection heading straight through the red lights hooting and flashing me as if I was in the wrong! He was easily going at about 80kph and narrowly missed me by a whisker! He had more than enough time to slow down and stop in time instead he actually started speeding up when the light turned red!

I've heard it numerous times from non-cyclists: they just couldn't give a damn about cyclists and think we are always in the wrong causing accidents and slowing them down.

shew thats un-f#king-cool.... glad to hear it was a almost accident and not another cyclist knoecked down story.

For me, the best approach, is just to be super cautious and take NOTHING for granted. I cycle as if vehicles don't see me, even when you have right of way, there's always somebody looking to take a gap / underestimating your speed.

yep riding thru traffic in the mornings made me adopt this approach as well. doubt she can see me while putting on make-up in the mirror whistling.gif

good meetup this morning. The mayor showed up, good to see Dave Bellairs as well, Peter Wheeler, Tarmac, Boris, American Flyers, Frail, Andrew Wheeldon of BEN Bikes.. anyone else I missed?

Guest Frail4Life

good meetup this morning. The mayor showed up, good to see Dave Bellairs as well, Peter Wheeler, Tarmac, Boris, American Flyers, Frail, Andrew Wheeldon of BEN Bikes.. anyone else I missed?

ah the cyclists Family?

This morning on plattekloof rd, GA bus 1475(you can see the number in the 1st pic if you use CIA image noise reduction software) drives up the yellow lane (at speed) stops at a spot that is not a bus stop, continues just before the yellow lane becomes a left turning lane he stops again drops off more passengers, then proceeds to make a right turn over two straight lanes and into the right turning lane, this is consistently done every day by different buses. I am aware that I am opening myself up for abuse by the "point out other peoples wrongs" brigade, but I think this is more important. Do you all think that this can be forwarded to GA, and be admissible?

post-7265-0-52719300-1351757438_thumb.jpg

post-7265-0-87004700-1351757443_thumb.jpg

post-7265-0-59945800-1351757448_thumb.jpg

post-7265-0-76673400-1351757456_thumb.jpg

send it to GA - the irt project is affecting the taxi business hence there will be a reduction in taxis on the road the downside - it semms as if GA are employing ex taxi drivers to drive their busses

Edited by butafly

I think you should use every media possible to get this unlawful practice exposed.

GA ignores it

The Mayor ignores it

The Premier ignores it

The Traffic Police ignore it.

Sounds like we need some drastic action...

Edited by GoLefty!!

In Chicago, the CTA busses are not allowed to stop, or even open their doors when the door is not within a certain box lines at the bus stops

Simple solution for GA, put a camera in the bus, that records when the door opens, when it is not close to a bus stop, simple enough to do with a RFID tag and read. put tags on all the stop, fit each bus with a reader. door opens close to tag, no problem, door opens with no tag close by, take picture, send sms, their choice how to notify them / GA management of transgression.

G

send it to GA - the irt project is affecting the taxi business hence there will be a reduction in taxis on the road the downside - it semms as if GA are employing ex taxi drivers to drive their busses

ah the cyclists Family?

Thanks Frail, yes the cyclists brother was there, and his employer as well - he spoke highly of the guy - a committed marathon runner apparently. The bike was his daily transportation from Masiphumele to work and back. Must be about a 50k round trip.