Is your Epic training on track - where should you be right now?

Hello E

Nice

And when in ones training for the epic should one start / stop doing these intervals?

Now is the right time to start with it as your training should now be migrated from the "off-peak" period to the "pre-peak" period, hoping you have done enough of the long slow distance (that's the LSD) stuff up to now. This type of training should take you right through to March, however, the duration and intensity should be tweaked as you progress and for the "peak" period which should be introduced by beginning to middle Jan 13. Intensity and duration should be based on personal progress but work towards making these 2-hour session. It is more fun to use this fartlek and also more applicable for mountain biking apposed to riding a stretch up-and-down for intervals, but it does require a bit more willpower and is nice to do with a riding buddy. It also teaches you to retain your effort over variable terrain - we are often used to stop pedaling on descents ...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now is the right time to start with it as your training should now be migrated from the "off-peak" period to the "pre-peak" period, hoping you have done enough of the long slow distance (that's the LSD) stuff up to now. This type of training should take you right through to March, however, the duration and intensity should be tweaked as you progress and for the "peak" period which should be introduced by beginning to middle Jan 13. Intensity and duration should be based on personal progress but work towards making these 2-hour session. It is more fun to use this fartlek and also more applicable for mountain biking apposed to riding a stretch up-and-down for intervals, but it does require a bit more willpower and is nice to do with a riding buddy. It also teaches you to retain your effort over variable terrain - we are often used to stop pedaling on descents ...

This sounds more like 80 km. type training.

Let's talk REAL Epic training for a change.

If you need help, you are welcome to call me, I will guarantee you an Epic finish.

Good post if you want the athlete to burn-out.

Ag just thought I will inspire the man to give us more informative posts...not just kul jou hier...kul jou daar. Took the wind out of my sails a bit...was preparing myself for another royal rumble, felt cheated

@enticement,

Have you completed the Epic yet, man?

Sure, I ride a bike.

Hmmm... have you completed the Epic?

Or what multi-stage racing have you done, Enticement?

Hey Puncheur, pardon the direct approach but WTFlip is the issue? I think E explained his position wrt to stage races already, pay attention and maybe try ask more constructive questions…hmmm?

BTW, you planning on doing Epic or a mtb stage race anytime soon?

Anyway since when does a coach have to have competed in every type of event that he offers advice on?

I think anybody who has been following this saga with any genuine interest already knows what Enticements qualifications are and I would say he is probably more qualified than most who like to chirp after his posts.

Why? cos i am partners with Iron for the epic of cos of my unbelievable ability to climb???eek.gif

Mike

Must be me , not the smartest thing you have ever done tongue.png

Hey Puncheur, pardon the direct approach but WTFlip is the issue? I think E explained his position wrt to stage races already, pay attention and maybe try ask more constructive questions…hmmm?

BTW, you planning on doing Epic or a mtb stage race anytime soon?

Anyway since when does a coach have to have competed in every type of event that he offers advice on?

I think anybody who has been following this saga with any genuine interest already knows what Enticements qualifications are and I would say he is probably more qualified than most who like to chirp after his posts.

I don't have a specific issue.

Was wondering about his experience in the sport.

The inability to answer a reasonable and direct question was puzzling.

I do expect a level of experience in endurance racing that can add credibility to the theoretical nature of Enticement's posting.

I don't have a specific issue.

Was wondering about his experience in the sport.

The inability to answer a reasonable and direct question was puzzling.

I do expect a level of experience in endurance racing that can add credibility to the theoretical nature of Enticement's posting.

Puncheur, I have a pretty good knowledge base of the things happening in your body when you start using it - I read medical journals on the latest empirical research findings and follow interesting blogs of some scientists, and then apply them on my own training as I'm a competitive XCO rider (will try and do my thing on the UCI XCO Master Champs 2013). I apply those things that work on my athletes and ALL (but one) of my Epic athletes to date have achieved their personal goals - one had a very bad crash this year and was DQed by the doctor as he had a very bad concussion.

Now that we're asking questions and you have the wealth of Epic experience - which work-out is the best of

1. doing 5 x 2min intervals at max effort with 1min rest against a 60km/h south-eastern on sandy road
  2. doing 5 x 2min intervals at max effort with 1min rest against a 15% incline on a smooth gravel road
  3. doing 5 x 2min intervals at max effort with 1min rest on a flat smooth gravel road

Will be interesting to hear from you ...

Puncheur, I have a pretty good knowledge base of the things happening in your body when you start using it - I read medical journals on the latest empirical research findings and follow interesting blogs of some scientists, and then apply them on my own training as I'm a competitive XCO rider (will try and do my thing on the UCI XCO Master Champs 2013). I apply those things that work on my athletes and ALL (but one) of my Epic athletes to date have achieved their personal goals - one had a very bad crash this year and was DQed by the doctor as he had a very bad concussion.

Now that we're asking questions and you have the wealth of Epic experience - which work-out is the best of

1. doing 5 x 2min intervals at max effort with 1min rest against a 60km/h south-eastern on sandy road
  2. doing 5 x 2min intervals at max effort with 1min rest against a 15% incline on a smooth gravel road
  3. doing 5 x 2min intervals at max effort with 1min rest on a flat smooth gravel road

Awesome - good luck with your racing ambitions.

I do not promote myself here to be a cycling endurance coach. So, cannot give you advice or guidance.

I race road and never multi-stage.

Your sarcasm is not welcome at my door.

#3?

Doesn't matter where your training is now. You'll still finish faster than David George.

too quick...my beer, doughnuts and monster prep worked like a charm...klapped them at this year's sani whoooop

Awesome - good luck with your racing ambitions.

I do not promote myself here to be a cycling endurance coach. So, cannot give you advice or guidance.

I race road and never multi-stage.

Your sarcasm is not welcome at my door.

PS if you want to offer a service on a cycling forum, Enticement, be prepared to be asked questions.

Apologies if you've declared your background and I've not read or understood it.

#3?

Physiologically the EPOC/training impact will be the same in all 3 scenarios as they are all done at max effort for the same duration with equal rest - no matter the surface. The crux is to create a training session that will suit your personal lifestyle and conditions and that will give you maximum results - some times you are restricted to an indoor trainer ...

I guess it has to be # 3.

I doubt you will find a road straight & long enough or a wind consistent enough to do 10min of max riding nor will you probably find a road that will have a consistent 15% gradient (riding back down the hill in under a minute would be tough) but you will probably find a flat stretch. Does the 1 min rest infer active recovery or complete rest ?