Is your Epic training on track - where should you be right now?

After warm-up you vary your speed between race pace (about 80-90% of max) to sprint (about 90-100% of max) to your absolute fastest (about 110% of max) with rest periods in-between.

And I thought 100% is the ultimate of max. Or is max equal to old school 75%?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I thought 100% is the ultimate of max. Or is max equal to old school 75%?

Without LSD 100% is max. LSD changes everything (or so I hear).

??? Speak English and tell the hubbers what they should be doing (in your opinion) in normal English that even someone with a PHD can understand and how you can assist them with your training plans. Donner man, hoe moeilik is dit? Or do you like sitting in front of your notebook watching people take the piss out of you post after post?

If you just focus you could be spending that time training people... ffs.

Deon. Going to get a training plan to prep for Epic. We seem to occupy a similar place in the field, if I go by the Pioneer. I'll give you my plan to look at and you can see how it appeals to you. The guy trains my Epic partner and she has improved in leaps and bounds over the last 2 years.

I'll keep you posted.

Btw. Are you camping or B&Bing at the Epic? If you're going to look for Beds, then we must talk logistics regarding massage and all try and stay at the same place.

Where should you be right now? It's easy... ON YOU BIKE! hehe goodluck to all the Epic people, I heard it's going to be a lot of climbing!

Hi boosted gp

In short, improving your level of conditioning requires 2 types of adaptations in your body: 1) peripheral changes (that is getting a well established transport system established in your body - arteries, veins and capillaries); and 2) in-cell changes to process the oxygen, nutrients and whatever is needed in the muscle cells to make them contract. The 1st happens through LSD-type training (long slow distance), but the 2nd best happens through high intensity training, also referred to as interval training. The proper sequence for conditioning is therefore to 1st look after (1) and then do (2).

Typically marathon riders prepare by doing lots and lots of LSD, but unfortunately, with the manner in which the Epic's route is designed, athletes need to incorporate high intensity training in their training programs as the route forces you to operate for long periods very close to your max exertion levels. If you have not prepared for that, it becomes a nightmare! So, how do you start incorporating high intensity training in your program? Best is to use an activity many moons ago Swedish athletes started to use, which was dubbed Polish fartlek training. Use your normal training ride and use the 1st 20 minutes as warm-up. After warm-up you vary your speed between race pace (about 80-90% of max) to sprint (about 90-100% of max) to your absolute fastest (about 110% of max) with rest periods in-between. The idea is to make it fun-filled and to constantly switch pace, but when you go hard you must "gooi-die-kole"! The last 20 minutes again is a cool-down period. But don't "time" your high intensity parts - make it flat-out (90%) from "this lamp post to that tree" and then slow (65%/recover) to "that gate" and then a brisk pace (80%) "to that rock", etc ...

Start with 1 session per week, which you increase to 2 within 3 weeks and 3 in 6 weeks. Make sure you rest well in-between these sessions as you should be very cautious not to over-train. What you actually do through this type of training is to condition your body to use the energy systems available best!

Well slaat my met n nat katvis....good post oom! Thumbup

Hi all,

Ok so Iron and I are partners for the epic. I rode the berg and bush this weekend, I finished day 1 in 8h47. was so shattered that I struggled for the 2 next days!

I ended up pushing most hills, never realised how much a 1000m of climbing was!!

I really busted my arse training for this event and thought i was feeling really good going into it.

Can someone explain intervals?

What sort of hours per week would one need to be doing to complete epic? work allows about 2 hours per week, over weekends I can do one 2 hour ride.

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Mike

Sorry for you, take up lawn bowls pal.

Start with 1 session per week, which you increase to 2 within 3 weeks and 3 in 6 weeks. Make sure you rest well in-between these sessions as you should be very cautious not to over-train. What you actually do through this type of training is to condition your body to use the energy systems available best!

Hello E

Nice

And when in ones training for the epic should one start / stop doing these intervals?

Are you qualified to ask the question?

Hmmm.

Well, if you ask your doctor if he has done the procedure he is about to do on you before and he answers with THAT kind of answer, would it inspire confidence?