1st road 94.7 on Mtb and I have some questions

Active Monkey

Hi guys, in 2 weeks im doing my 1st road 94.7 and im doing it on ny scott spark 50 with "knobies"

Questions i have is:

Do people ride with a camel-bak for hydration? Or just one bottle?

How far are hydration points apart?

What energy like bananas etc and how many should i take?

What is a decent behinners pace to keep? 15kmph?

Any other tips or tricks?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggest you fit road tyres as it will make the ride much smoother and easier. It's a mass ride so enjoy. There are 10 water points with anything from 6 to 15 odd km apart. The website will tell you where they are placed.

Edited by Pusher

Slicks cost around R200-250 a pop.

As for hydration.... what time you looking at?

The 94.7 is renowned for being a "hot" race, so take ample fluids. If you plan to stop at water points, cool, else take 2 bottles. A hydration pack would be harsh on the hills.

For food, what do you usually eat on long rides? Don't change anything now.

As for pace, just follow the bunch. The average pace you do will differ tremendously on different parts of the route....

At 15kph you are looking at taking over 6 hours which is a long time to be out there.

I would suggest you check their website for the various time splits dependent on your target time. Probably get the 5hour splits and see if you can better that at each point. The route is more hilly at parts and fast downhills at others, so you will see your average speed vary over the course of the race.

IMO, it would depend on how fit you are and what sort of time/distances you have been doing on your mtb rides. If you can do 4 hour mtb rides, then you should be able to do a sub 5 on your knobies, and average in the early 20kph range.

As far as nutrition on the day goes, there have been some great topics recently. Do a search and read through them.

I have seen people with Camelbaks and the like, but as mentioned, there are many watering points, so to carry the extra weight is not necessary. One problem starting later is that the watering points are normally busy and they become time thieves. But, if you are not chasing a time, then it is also a great place to enjoy the vibe, day and race.

I've done just over 4 hours on mtb with knoblies - main issue is wear of the tyres really.

One water bottle should be fine if you going to stop, I do it with two now and generally don't stop (besides ablution stops)

Skip the slicks , it is a waist of money . Enjoy the race , stop at all the tables and stock up . 6 hours is nothing if you have a jol

Well yes, im after finishing.. And enjoying it :)

Do it with the knobbies- otherwise just get a road bike. It's wrong in so many ways to castrate a MTB by putting that silly wheels on it :P

The sound my Rocket Ron's made on the tar at the OFM yesterday had a few guys referring to it as "the Truck". Awesome to stick to a group and peddle with the bunch as far as possible- but they WILL drop you, then you just wait for the next bunch :)

Do it with the knobbies- otherwise just get a road bike. It's wrong in so many ways to castrate a MTB by putting that silly wheels on it tongue.png

The sound my Rocket Ron's made on the tar at the OFM yesterday had a few guys referring to it as "the Truck". Awesome to stick to a group and peddle with the bunch as far as possible- but they WILL drop you, then you just wait for the next bunch smile.png

clap.gif clap.gif

As others pointed out...skip the slicks...looks hond, screams wannabe. If you can leave the bike unwashed from your saturday spin at van gaalens. gooi a camelbak, black socks and leave your tyres exactly the way they were on saturday's ride...light up a gunston at the start pen and let the good times roll. Its a jol, treat it as such.

What does the seeding nrs mean? My nr is JJ?

It's an open seeded group, iirc. It's the group you start and ride with.

I am also doing my first 94.7, on a MTB too. I have the Maxxis Monorail and am told by everyone to put "road" tyres on. Still deciding, as I am aiming for "sub-cutoff"....certainly no racing snake. Also in the JJ group. I think we start when some are already on their way home.huh.png

I'm always bemused how mtb'ers can spend hours talking about what tires to use for what conditions but when it gets to tar everybody suddenly gets all snobish and uptight proclaiming slicks to be soooo uncool, even though its blatantly the tire best suited.... ohmy.png

Please show me any other way how you can add 2 - 3 km/h to your average speed by just spending 200 bucks (I think its about R100 for an el cheapo Sportsmans Warehouse brand slick)

Not everybody has the budget for a road bike so I don't care if it screams wannabe while you and your knobblies cant keep up happy.png

On the 15km/h comment, have no idea how fit you are but you can probably aim for about 20km/h, 15km/h is veeery slow, even for rookies..