1st road 94.7 on Mtb and I have some questions

Active Monkey

You will waste your proper MTB tyres. I agree - put a cheap pair of slicks on. No camelback. Enough food along the way. Must remember SUNBLOCK!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As others pointed out...skip the slicks...looks hond, screams wannabe. If you can leave the bike unwashed from your saturday spin at van gaalens. gooi a camelbak, black socks and leave your tyres exactly the way they were on saturday's ride...light up a gunston at the start pen and let the good times roll. Its a jol, treat it as such.

Gunston...

Yeah!

:-D

I'm always bemused how mtb'ers can spend hours talking about what tires to use for what conditions but when it gets to tar everybody suddenly gets all snobish and uptight proclaiming slicks to be soooo uncool, even though its blatantly the tire best suited.... ohmy.png

Please show me any other way how you can add 2 - 3 km/h to your average speed by just spending 200 bucks (I think its about R100 for an el cheapo Sportsmans Warehouse brand slick)

Not everybody has the budget for a road bike so I don't care if it screams wannabe while you and your knobblies cant keep up happy.png

On the 15km/h comment, have no idea how fit you are but you can probably aim for about 20km/h, 15km/h is veeery slow, even for rookies..

hit a nerve there didn't I....

Oh and for the record we not proclaiming they are uncool...the ARE uncool.

Slicks on a mtb = like putting a moerse wing on your 1.3L chico that does 0-100 in 30sec. But if it rocks your world who I am to judge

Besides, beating a roadie kitted in all the gear and a fancy Italian bike on your dirty knobblie shod MTB is also a good way to start your Sunday....

Putting slicks on an mtb is not as dof as you make it sound. The difference in effort to your ride is huge compared to the costs. Who cares what roadies think about your mtb with slicks anyway?

If you can afford a road bike too, buy one. If not, fit slicks for your road events

Putting slicks on an mtb is not as dof as you make it sound. The difference in effort to your ride is huge compared to the costs. Who cares what roadies think about your mtb with slicks anyway?

If you can afford a road bike too, buy one. If not, fit slicks for your road events

Go for it bru....thumbup1.gif

IMO no need to invest in slicks

Yes, wear a camelbak then you don't have to worry about water and waterpoints

Eat something every hour. Maybe a goo, maybe a bite of an energy bar or a banana. Don't eat so much that you feel stuffed though

Wannabe's! Texan plain which you double clutch and chain smoke.

sissy boy....gauloises corporals for the win...cough cough spit cough

clap.gif Ok so you need to not only put slicks but also get toobs to go into these slicks . This means you gonna waist a lot of the precious sealant you currently got in your tyres . You see it all does add up and in the end you may find that it's gonna cost you maybe two cases of beer !!! Not something to sneeze at ! .

I agree , take you backpack/camelpack . Even if it is empty just wear it for the look .

clap.gif Ok so you need to not only put slicks but also get toobs to go into these slicks . This means you gonna waist a lot of the precious sealant you currently got in your tyres . You see it all does add up and in the end you may find that it's gonna cost you maybe two cases of beer !!! Not something to sneeze at ! .

I agree , take you backpack/camelpack . Even if it is empty just wear it for the look .

Top of your game

sissy boy....gauloises corporals for the win...cough cough spit cough

Ha-Ha!! But I do keep some Cigarellos in my Camelbak for fresh air on the uphills.

This logic is flawless, beer or sealant, no brainer.

This logic is flawless, beer or sealant, no brainer.

Actually very valid point...so two slicks guessing they cost 150-200 bucks a pop so lets take an avg = 175 * 2 = 350 bokke

Tubes = 35 * 2 = 70 bokke

Sealant wasted after fitting tubes and then converting tubeless again..lets say half a bottle joe's = 80 bokke

For a grand total of 500 rond....ag nee my donner for what...so that you can have skinny-malinky tyres on your way to race for 9123 position. It will never be a road bike no matter what makeup you put on.