Tokai Plantation - 24th November - Downhill Race

daneger

http://youtu.be/7XtJAGl3et0

Hey All

You have probably seen this already, but thought I would post it anyway.

It's what we have been waiting for.

Here is the more info guys, as per request

The Tokai Downhill Monster Madness is open to all riders, the normal timed 2 runs will take place with the fastest one counting. this will be part of the WP Champs medal event and all classes apply

BUT

the fastest 20 times will have a 3rd run for the Tokai Downhill Monster Run to find the fastest person on the Tokai Downhill track.

Where: Tokai Plantation with the finish on the top field Chrysalis Academy.

Time:

1st shuttle for practice runs: 08h00

1st & 2nd timed runs (WP Champs): 12h00 -14h30

Top 20 Shootout: 15h30

The Shootout will see the slowest to fastest competing for that coveted award of fastest man or woman in the Western Cape.

Entries opened Friday evening 9th November at 18h00 and close Monday 20th at 18h00. See attached entry form for anyone who feels that they would like to enter

Online Entry fee: R330.00 per rider which includes free entrant parking at Chrysalis, a donation to Chrysalis Academy and a donation to TMNP Volunteer Rangers who maintain the forest on our behalf.

(Proof of Payment needs to be either faxed or e-mailed to the details provided on the entry form.)

Late entry manual fee on the morning: R360.00 which covers admin fees, and you will still need to pay R20 entry fee on the day

Seeding process applies to all riders per category with fastest to slowest runs for the timed section.

Pre-event registration: venue TBA for indemnity and rider number handover

All info on Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TokaiDownhill

Edited by daneger

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

This is the perfect opportunity for the XC guys to try their hand at a little gravity racing. The track will be the std DH track at tokai which most of you have ridden 1000 times before.

The only really gnarly features on the track are the road gap and the new monster jump at the bottom. There will be alternate lines around these features and on a XC bike you'll be able to make up time on the bottom section where it flattens out (Especially if the SE is blowing). So you won't be at a disadvantage compared to the dudes on their dh bikes. Plus they are all unfit remember so you can pedal where their tongues will be hanging out. There might even be a fella by the name of Hopkins on his PYGA 29er out there trying to prove a point.

There are many guys who have DH bikes (myself included) that are seriously considering running their AM bikes instead. So please guys. feel free to attend. It should be a fun event.

As an aside. Recently some guys did timed runs from just above the road gap to the quarry. Pottie did a 2.53 on his Canfield factory DH bike. Pretty damned fast but 4 days later Myles Kelsey did a 2.49 on his AM bike. In slightly different wind conditions it has to be said but it goes to show.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

was that down the dh track on the side of the jeep track?

Ja. Above the road gap where you can join the dh track on that hairpin bend in the jeeptrack. From there down. over the road into dh1. down dh1 using the new divert. Into dh2. down dh2. over the road into dh3. hang a right at the hip jump. follow the trail down to the quarry. That was the track they timed on.

For the race you'll continue onto the jeep track down the road for about 70m. Then hit the monster jump and down into crysalis academy and onto their rugby field.

I'm not 100% sure but that's pretty much the track. Save for 1 or 2 chicanes or whatever I'm pretty sure that's it.

Hopefully we'll get some more laterite on some areas that desperately need it like parts of DH3.

hmm that monster jump is huge, I contemplated taking it on sat, but changed my mind, instead i stood at top and eyed the landing, I will probably break somthing

Edited by Riyadh

Guest Omega Man

hmm that monster jump is used, I contemplated taking it on sat, but changed my mind, instead i stood at top and eyed the landing, I will probably break somthing

There will be an alternate line.

Looks amazing! All I need now is some skill and balls, oh, and a proper bike... So everything really. Maybe I'll come watch ;)

Guest Omega Man

Looks amazing! All I need now is some skill and balls, oh, and a proper bike... So everything really. Maybe I'll come watch wink.png

You can just do it for fun. There will be a fun category.

Edited by Omega Man

Haven't ridden the track before, Is there anyone doing it this weekend? Looking to possibly follow down (am slow though)

I can't wait, its gonna be awesome! Although I'm not sure I can get all the way down without stopping to breathe!

I would second that about the breathing.....my fitness is atrocious right now.

Guest Omega Man

I watched Duran absolutely OWN that big jump just now. so smooth.

How long is the track? Not sure. I will be happy do do it in 4 minutes I think. Hard to tell as the bottom section is only open for race day.

Guest Omega Man

How long is the track? Not sure. I will be happy do do it in 4 minutes I think. Hard to tell as the bottom section is only open for race day.

It's 1.4 km from the road gap to the ditch jump where the track used to pop out onto the road so I'm gonna estimate at 2.2km-2.5km.

Pottie did a 2.53 from where the track is gonna start to the quarry so if you do it in under 4 minutes that's not too bad.

Edited by Omega Man