Tokai Plantation - 24th November - Downhill Race

daneger

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm that monster jump is huge, I contemplated taking it on sat, but changed my mind, instead i stood at top and eyed the landing, I will probably break somthing

Yeah, that thing is massive. My boet launched it in a headwind during the week and completely bottomed the 10" on his M3 as he landed with his back wheel on the lip. No thanks, I'll put up with the chicken comments laugh.png

I would second that about the breathing.....my fitness is atrocious right now.

I know the feeling, but here's a thought: You can get pretty much all the way down without pedalling... I snapped my chain as I started from the road gap today, and freewheeled all the way down. Funny enough, this ended up with me posting my fastest time ever on DH2, so it goes to show that if you know you can't pedal, you instinctively conserve momentum and ride smoothly!

Guest Omega Man

I know the feeling, but here's a thought: You can get pretty much all the way down without pedalling... I snapped my chain as I started from the road gap today, and freewheeled all the way down. Funny enough, this ended up with me posting my fastest time ever on DH2, so it goes to show that if you know you can't pedal, you instinctively conserve momentum and ride smoothly!

True story.

I took my Reign and my Makulu up today to try and figure which one would be best for the race.

The track is totally rideable on an AM bike so anyone with a shova or something like that please don't be intimidated by the guys on their big bikes. You'll only lose time by not doing the road gap and presumably the Monster Sender. But that's about it. The beauty of DH races is that you really are racing yourself. It's probably the purest form of Mountain Bike racing Just you and the clock.

As far as which bike to ride for the race. All things being equal I think and AM bike will be decidedly faster on the wide open DH3 section and a DH bike will be faster on the top steeper bits. For a gooner like me it's more a function of how many mistakes I make on the day. If I could keep it mistake free it would be the AM bike for sure but judging by today's mistake ridden shambles I'll be on the Mak.

Edited by Omega Man

True story.

I took my Reign and my Makulu up today to try and figure which one would be best for the race.

The track is totally rideable on an AM bike so anyone with a shova or something like that please don't be intimidated by the guys on their big bikes. You'll only lose time by not doing the road gap and presumably the Monster Sender. But that's about it. The beauty of DH races is that you really are racing yourself. It's probably the purest form of Mountain Bike racing Just you and the clock.

As far as which bike to ride for the race. All things being equal I think and AM bike will be decidedly faster on the wide open DH3 section and a DH bike will be faster on the top steeper bits. For a gooner like me it's more a function of how many mistakes I make on the day. If I could keep it mistake free it would be the AM bike for sure but judging by today's mistake ridden shambles I'll be on the Mak.

Absolutely, but you weren't exactly going slowly on your Reign on the top section where you passed me, btw. That section's probably where a DH bike holds the most advantage, so food for thought...

Me, I'll stick to the Glory for the day, just because it'll save me from my own stupidity!

Guest Omega Man

Absolutely, but you weren't exactly going slowly on your Reign on the top section where you passed me, btw. That section's probably where a DH bike holds the most advantage, so food for thought...

Me, I'll stick to the Glory for the day, just because it'll save me from my own stupidity!

Speed blur hahaha. Shot. Another thing. I know this is super hard to explain without sounding like an idiot but I felt super disconnected from the AM bike with a fullface on. Gary Barnard was up there on his AM bike with fullface on and he said exactly the same thing. Guess it's cos I'm always in an open face on the AM bike. When I got on the DH bike with the fullface no problem.

Ja. I went up on my mak at about 11. I was super tired and making mistakes everywhere and the bike just kept on trucking.

Speed blur hahaha. Shot. Another thing. I know this is super hard to explain without sounding like an idiot but I felt super disconnected from the AM bike with a fullface on. Gary Barnard was up there on his AM bike with fullface on and he said exactly the same thing. Guess it's cos I'm always in an open face on the AM bike. When I got on the DH bike with the fullface no problem.

Ja. I went up on my mak at about 11. I was super tired and making mistakes everywhere and the bike just kept on trucking.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm not used to a FF at all, which is why I keep on riding with my XC lid until a white 661 Evo Carbon arrives in stock. The temporary one I have is really crap, so I avoid using it, but I think I need to get used to the extra stuff around my face at some point... I just feel so much more aware/sharp with an open helmet, even though I know it's dangerous for my health!

Gary is insanely quick on his AM bike, it's a bit silly really.

Guest Omega Man

Gary is insanely quick on his AM bike, it's a bit silly really.

Ja. It was embarrasing actually.

Would this track really be that easy? Omega man said: "This is the perfect opportunity for the XC guys"

I ride downhill on 2 inch front/back XC bike, would It even be possible to ride down there, because judging from the below clip, it looks pretty hectic:

Would this track really be that easy? Omega man said: "This is the perfect opportunity for the XC guys"

I ride downhill on 2 inch front/back XC bike, would It even be possible to ride down there, because judging from the below clip, it looks pretty hectic:

ROFL. Don't mind Omega - he reckons everything with less than 180mm travel front and back is an XC bike.

But yeah - there are chicken runs, and rollable jumps and all sorts. I used to do it on my hardtail, and I know a few people who will do it on rigids (or could)

So yes, it is do-able on an XC bike.

Almost sure I can hear the riders heart beating at the very end of the clip as he stops.

Really good clip drool.gif

Almost sure I can hear the riders heart beating at the very end of the clip as he stops.

Really good clip drool.gif

Amazing how easy he makes that massive jump at the bottom look...

Guest Omega Man

yeah i think il skip

Go up there this weekend and take a look. We're probably gonna put pallets or something in the gaps so the whole track is rollable.

You aren't obligated to do the race runs so if you do the practice runs that's also fine. If you don't race come check it out. The top 20 shootout is gonna be something to see for sure.