Absolute begginer !! need advice on everything if you have the time

craigsta

Hi All, i am an absolute begginer and would really appreciate help from all sides, discussing diets, training, best equipment and also best places to go around JHB...

OH and i have been a smoker for around 25 years... so assistance would be great on a good way to get over that and carry on with the biking.

I have already spent money on a -second hand bike, bought from Biketrader.com in fourways, thanks to Joe, an awseome guy. The bike is a GT, Avalanche 1.0 with standard pedals.

I bougt a helmet - SH+ or something from Northcliff cycles (quite a pricy shop)

And then the Shirt, Shorts and Gloves from Anotomic - awesome shop with awesome people, thanks guys...

I hope to really get involved and also have my family tour the country and lear more about SA.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance

Craig Willis

Edited by craigsta

Ride at groenkloof in PTA lots and lots, the rest is just hot air.

Yep. For now just get on your bike and go and ride it. Get used to your bike and then come back with some more specific questions.

If you have time come through to Northern Farms on Sunday. We will be doing route 1 as a warm-up ride and you are welcome to join for that. Will be a nice slow lap just to get the legs going.

I will be hosting a new series of slow & unfit rides pretty soon.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm very close to you in Bromhof.

OH and i have been a smoker for around 25 years... so assistance would be great on a good way to get over that and carry on with the biking.

Smoked for a similar time and can only tell you what worked for me.

I quit drinking and smoking at the same time. Most of times I 'relapsed' on previous attempts was when I was drinking.

I wanted to quit more than I wanted to drink. Went cold turkey with both and have not had a smoke in over 4 years. Side effect is I probably drink once a month at the most which is saving me an absolute fortune in $.

TBH the biggest hurdle to quitting smoking is in the head. beat that and it all falls neatly into place.

Good Luck

I would support the group rides SIR Maxxis hosts. Good rides at a decent pace that is not going to kill you..........and the rides are in the area (mostly) clap.gif oh......and NO ONE gets left behind...ph34r.png ph34r.png

I'm in the same boat regarding the stop smoking and I'm on day 5 of smoke free days. The first couple of days, day 2 and 3, was a bit hectic because of the habits that I had to break but I used Champix and that takes away all the cravings. The rest is in your head to tell yourself that you are a non smoker now and that everytime you used to smoke is now extra time that you can use to do something else. I find that I have so much time now that I need to find things to keep me busy. Good luck and if your head is right you will see that it is not that difficult.

I also started training again, running for now, but also want to find out if there is clubs or groups in the Jhb Westrand area that I can join. I must say the slow and unfit rides do sounds like something I want to do.

Good luck again for stop smoking and let us know how it goes.

You've got the right attitude so you are already 99% there!

PS bike touring is probably the coolest way to see the country (any country for that matter), so loose the cigarettes, get fit and and come back to tell us when and where your first tour will be!

I would support the group rides SIR Maxxis hosts. Good rides at a decent pace that is not going to kill you..........and the rides are in the area (mostly) http://1.1.1.1/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif oh......and NO ONE gets left behind...http://1.1.1.3/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.png http://1.1.1.3/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.png

..... thats because we have sweepers.... i am one of them...ph34r.png .. and YES, they are great FUN - that is what cycling should be about at all times! (the smoking thing - you WIL feel it in your lungs when you cycle and exert yourself. Try Champix - been off the smokes for a year and NO URGE to even want to have a drag. )

good Luck!

Dude there is a group of us riding the spruit tomorrow. Meeting at the big pick'n'pay on William nichol at 8. Mixed group and spruit is good for beginners. Then we are also SSing the spruit on Sunday at about the same time.

Pm me if you keen.

Ps I'm in olivedale too

Edited by jcmeyerSS

Dude there is a group of us riding the spruit tomorrow. Meeting at the big pick'n'pay on William nichol at 8. Mixed group and spruit is good for beginners. Then we are also SSing the spruit on Sunday at about the same time.

Pm me if you keen.

Ps I'm in olivedale too

Good thinking Jc, I'm bringing two new cyclists along too so it'll be a good pace!

Join a club! Very often the best way, your social life changes,you mix with people that don't smoke, but probably drink!

Ride with others, you'll find your bus, those that ride at your pace. Then after a while, change buses. Try the next fastest (or slowest!) one, you'll get there.