What to expect of first Argus?

P.A.K.

I've bought the Bicycling mag's special Argus Cycle Tour magazine and found some very specific training programs in there. There are different plans ranging from the sub-3h plan through to the sub-5h plan and lastly the novice plan.

+1 on what Cheese said.

Imo those training programs are overkill, if you are able to follow them you would beat your goal time comfortably.

I think the most common rookie mistake (add me in there) is starting out too hard and not leave something in the tank for the hard-"ish" climbs in the last 20km - Chapmans will soften you up nicely and Suikerbossie the final blow. Other than that I don't think Argus is any harder than your average 100km race.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on what Cheese said.

Imo those training programs are overkill, if you are able to follow them you would beat your goal time comfortably.

I think the most common rookie mistake (add me in there) is starting out too hard and not leave something in the tank for the hard-"ish" climbs in the last 20km - Chapmans will soften you up nicely and Suikerbossie the final blow. Other than that I don't think Argus is any harder than your average 100km race.

+1. If you can do a 100km ride without dying you're fine.

At the start there's a heck of a lot of hype and excitement. At around 40-50km you turn around and go back towards Cape Town and that's when the paw paw starts to hit the fan, wind, drags, etc.

Personally I found Chappies a breeze, I don't think I even got into my small chainring. Other people suffer on it, it depends on how you find climbing.

Suikerbossie is a killer for most legs, especially if you've gotten tired up to now, but keep the pace on it, as the next 5km is mostly downhill towards the finish.

Expect the unexpected! I still remember my jaw dropping when I saw that many people at the start... and the coloured worm up Chappies.

I told the missus before my first "I'll never again ride a first Argus, so I just want to enjoy it!" - and that's exactly what I did! So I agree with what many has said. Be in good shape, be ready for it, but go out and just enjoy your first one.

Talk rubbish with everybody, interact with the crowd... just have a blast! And... wait for Suikerbossie, because it's the most awesome vibe and part of the whole ride! Duck to the left side of the road early when starting to climb out of Hout bay (not yet Suikerbossie!), there's always a friendly chap with a hose pipe! w00t.gif

I'm pretty much going to say what everyone else is saying. It's you first one so just enjoy it. I base my season around the Burger for placing and racing and also so I have a good seeding for the Argus but I don't 'race' the Argus. Don't get caught up in the hype about placings etc.

Make sure you have a buddy to ride with, train on Chappies and the 'bossie a few times to know what you're in for. Love the vibe. It's all time, best for me is either the reception around Ocean View or turning the bend @ Hout bay and seeing everyone dressed up in pink going nuts. Also grabbing a champers on near the top of 'bossie, toasting with your mate and then burying the pin on the descent to the finish line. Talk *** with everyone, banter with the spectators, hold your line and be amazed about the route, the views and Cape Town.

I was looking for a 3:30 odd last year and was pretty near but had so much fun, rode with my mate and helped him out because he was suffering. Took extra juice, food and bars as there are always people out there in need / under prepared.

And finally... if it's your first one and you're not chasing a time. Stop for a massage, best thing I did in my first. One before chappies, one before 'bossie cruised home.

Whatever you do, save your legs for Suikerbossie climb at the 85 km mark.

About 1.5 kms of 4.5 degrees with massive fanfare.

Make sure you look good.

devil.gif

That is about it.....thumbup1.gif

Guys, how does the Argus compare to the 94.7? Nearly everyone I've spoken too recons it's easier dispite the extra distance.

Guys, how does the Argus compare to the 94.7? Nearly everyone I've spoken too recons it's easier dispite the extra distance.

The Argus is easier, in my opinion. The only thing I ever battled with, was the South Easter (had it on a few occasions and it was eina). The 94.7 is way more hilly.

The Argus is easier, in my opinion. The only thing I ever battled with, was the South Easter (had it on a few occasions and it was eina). The 94.7 is way more hilly.

Good to knowm, thanks. I'm also doing my first Argus next year.

I remember hearing about guys being blown from their bikes by the South Easter 2 years ago. Eek!

I'll be doing my very first Argus next year, and need some advice on choosing a training program.

I've bought the Bicycling mag's special Argus Cycle Tour magazine and found some very specific training programs in there. There are different plans ranging from the sub-3h plan through to the sub-5h plan and lastly the novice plan.

What I'd like to know:

Firstly, those of you who have seen these plans, how effective are they? Can anyone really achieve the specified times if they stick to the plan?

Secondly, how do I know which plan to choose?

If it really was that easy as choosing a plan and following it, I would have been able to choose any plan I want (wait, that has a cliche reach-for-a-dream sound to it.)

I've been MTBing for a two years now. Recently I did my first road race at the MTN OFM Classic. I did a terrible time (4h20), but did ride the 65km MTB the previous day too and felt it on the road Sunday.

I don't think I'm very fit, and I know I will probably have to choose the sub-5h. The only thing going for me is that I can dedicate myself and be very strict with myself. I have come to a place where I enjoy training harder and finally seeing (slight) improvements.

So what do you guys suggest? How do I choose a plan?

If you haven't done proper base training those plans are useless, and if its your first you will just get stuck behind idiots and noobs and wont get into a decent bundle.

If you want to learn how to make a decent training plan, get joe friels heart rate training guide.

oh and its only easy A if your not burned to a crisp, and you have a south easter on the day, you will suffer :)

Good to knowm, thanks. I'm also doing my first Argus next year.

I remember hearing about guys being blown from their bikes by the South Easter 2 years ago. Eek!

I'm a lightweight.... in my one Argus there was a 50kph crosswind on the downhill after Chappies. Got blown all over the road. The next year, no wind going down, and averaged 60 on the way down.

The climbs on the Argus is actually not that difficult. The biggest problem on the climbs except 'Bossie is the traffic congestion if you are in the later bunches. I found it difficult to maintain rythm and momentum with people stopping in front of you or just slowing down and going all over the road. You continually have to fight a way through the mayhem.

The biggest problem spots for me in this regard were Smitswinkel and Chappies. Chappies was absolute mayhem this year. I hope they figured out that having a waterstation on the top of Chappies is a very bad idea.