650B is NOT 27.5"

Eldron

I battle to understand why some people are so sensitive about the whole 650b thing. If you want to ride one flippen ride one. Nobody is forcing anybody to ride the farking bike! If you want to ride a 26" ride it! If you want to ride a 29" ride it and if you want to ride a 650b ride the bloody thing. You have to ride it, nobody else. But some people have to give thier inputs to slate it. I ride a 650b and I enjoy it, I also ride a 26" bike and I enjoy it too and what the hell, maybe I will buy a 29er too and enjoy it too, it is my choice. Climb on your bike, stop bitching and ride it!

Dude - you missed the point entirely - I have no issues with anyone riding any bike of any size - my point is....know what you're buying.

Do you think 650B would be as popular if people it was called 27"?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have measured the stuff myself.

The 29 and 27.5 is the measure you get from edge to edge of tyre.

Only if you're using a wider tyre on the 650B. The 650B rim is 2" smaller than the 29 rim.

Dude - you missed the point entirely - I have no issues with anyone riding any bike of any size - my point is....know what you're buying.

Do you think 650B would be as popular if people it was called 27"?

I get the point, and agree.

This whole 27.5 thing also has me chuckling on the inside.

Sadly thats just the way the stuff is measured.

The 29'er rim and the road bike rim are the same size, the tyre makes up the inches, almost like slapping on 20 condoms.

Edited by Dangle

Is 29" not equal to 700?

EDIT: thx dangle just saw your response

Identical. 29er and 700C share a common BSD (bead seat diameter - the bit where you seat the tyre).

I have a set of 29er wheels ate home with 700x42mm cyclocross tyres on. You can put normal road tyres onto your 29er wheel - as long as you make it wider than ~28mm because the 29er rim is wider.

I get the point, and agree.

This whole 27.5 thing also has me chuckling on the inside.

Sadly thats just the way the stuff is measured.

The 29'er rim and the road bike rim are the same size, the tyre makes up the inches, almost like slapping on 20 condoms.

I haven't actually measured it but I reckon if you bang a 2.4 tyre on a 26" rim you'll be pretty close to 650B with a 2.1 tyre...

I haven't actually measured it but I reckon if you bang a 2.4 tyre on a 26" rim you'll be pretty close to 650B with a 2.1 tyre...

Yip, you are spot on.

We have done that exercise, quite a distinct aesthetic difference between a 2.4 and a 2.1 in height.

hmmmm

idea, how about someone create some pictures showing diameter and circumference, as they say a pictures says a 1000 words.

G

Identical. 29er and 700C share a common BSD (bead seat diameter - the bit where you seat the tyre).

I have a set of 29er wheels ate home with 700x42mm cyclocross tyres on. You can put normal road tyres onto your 29er wheel - as long as you make it wider than ~28mm because the 29er rim is wider.

hmmmm

idea, how about someone create some pictures showing diameter and circumference, as they say a pictures says a 1000 words.

G

post-2412-0-95065300-1352807358_thumb.jpg

About as close as damit ... but, to find a 2.4 is limiting, plus the air volume changes. So handling and ride feel is still affected. Not in a bad or good way, depends what one wants out of their ride.

Like those phat ass Black Sheep steeds at SSWC.

About as close as damit ... but, to find a 2.4 is limiting, plus the air volume changes. So handling and ride feel is still affected. Not in a bad or good way, depends what one wants out of their ride.

Like those phat ass Black Sheep steeds at SSWC.

HIJACK....speaking of which, would really like some Schwalbe RR snakeskin's in 2.4...anyone know where I could get