not your everyday weight loss problem HELP

DIPSLICK

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also - if you're burning 500 - 1000 calories per day excercising, you are effectively putting nothing in. You're burning ALL of the calories you're putting in through exercise, leaving nothing for the body to burn during the day.

Theoretically, this would work - if you were adapted to burning fat instead of carbs, then your body would continue to burn fat reserves and you'd continue to lose weight. But by the sounds of things, you're nowhere near keto-adapted, which means that you're not used to burning your fat stores. You're gonna stay there until you change your diet.

At the Sports Institute the dietitian told me I wasn't eating enough carbo's for the amount of exercise I was doing and when increasing it I actually lost weight.

So not as simple as calorie in calorie out as some people make it.

For a normal person it is...not everyone is Wonder Womanwink.png

also - if you're burning 500 - 1000 calories per day excercising, you are effectively putting nothing in. You're burning ALL of the calories you're putting in through exercise, leaving nothing for the body to burn during the day.

Theoretically, this would work - if you were adapted to burning fat instead of carbs, then your body would continue to burn fat reserves and you'd continue to lose weight. But by the sounds of things, you're nowhere near keto-adapted, which means that you're not used to burning your fat stores. You're gonna stay there until you change your diet.

If only it didn't take 3 weeks to get there, things would be a lot easier.

At the Sports Institute the dietitian told me I wasn't eating enough carbo's for the amount of exercise I was doing and when increasing it I actually lost weight.

So not as simple as calorie in calorie out as some people make it.

It is actually as simple as calorie in calorie out. Its called conservation of mass. You will lose something, may not be fat but you will loose weight.

Had the same problem: plateau at 85 kg. Then decided to cut out all alcohol and upped protein and within 4 months dropped to 77 kg at 14% body fat.

If only it didn't take 3 weeks to get there, things would be a lot easier.

hell yeah. I've tried, and failed, due to me having to cook for me & my wife. If I were single - easy peasy.

Suppose I should try harder...

Someone sent me this a while back - About food

When thinking about what food to eat, instead of just thinking about satisfying some inner craving within you, think about the fact that the food is fuel for your body. This completely changed my opinion of food. You know that whole, "You are what you eat", I always thought it sounded a bit pompous but it is a good point. Although I think the idea of food as fuel to help you live and do things is an even better concept.

Now, you may be worried. You may be thinking, food as fuel? You mean I am never supposed to derive pleasure from food again? I'm not supposed to endulge myself? I'm not supposed to live life to the fullest? No, I am not saying that. Food is a big part of culture. Every now and then it is good to endulge in a treat, to try a new fancy restaurants with rich food. To celebrate with friends and family at special occassions. So it is still okay to do this and to eat lots of different food while doing it. BUT, here is the kicker. Meals for pleasure shouldn’t be the vast minority of your meals. Okay. It's that simple. In a given week, greater than 90% of your meals should be food as fuel for your body, and only a few meals need to be food for pleasure. Now when I say, a meal should be fuel, I just mean the first priority should be that it is healthy, and then a lower priority is the taste. I am not saying you have to eat dirt, or cardboard. You can choose food you like. I am just saying, when you are playing the mental game of, hmmm, what should I eat, think about the fact that a vast majority of your meals should be fuel, not an endulging pleasure.

And let’s face it, when you are working and stop for lunch. You are not at a big eventful occasion in your life, you are not experiencing food from another culture, or being given the rare treat of a meal of a good chef, you are simply giving yourself energy to keep going through the day. This is the perfect time for fuel. Not pleasure. So, no, you don't need to stop off at Mcdonalds, because it will fulfill some pleasure craving in you. This is just lunch, it doesn't need to satisfy your inner craving. It is fuel. But soon you will like healthier food more and more so this gets much easier.

Edited by jcza

This is the harsh reality. Starve yourself

Interesting this - only because I came to exactly the opposite conclusion on reading the above [DietDoctor.com / LCHF]... Had a good look at the comments and posts on the website, and then went out an bought Taubes' book, that Noakes referred to... It's quite hefty - and still working my way through it.

Anyways - one of the experts on the DietDoctor site, in an interview with the good Dr., had a chat about the effects of insulin, and how it is now being studied in much more detail in regards to its possible impact on diabetes.... I'm over-simplifying now, and don't quote me on this (go check it out yourself), but in one part - he explains it as follows:

Your body needs XX amount of calories per day. If you only consume that exact XX amount, you will neither lose weight, nor gain weight. However, assume you consume foodstuff A. This triggers the release of insulin. Your body reacts, and immediately converts %Y of that calorie intake to FAT, before it becomes accessible to your body as energy. Therefore, your body then doesn't get the full XX amount of calories, but receives XX - Y... And so - you get hungry again, because you still haven't taken in the required XX amount of calories. So you eat again - more of foodstuff A - which again converts %Y to fat - which leaves you hungry again, since you've still not reached your XX quota - so you eat again.... etc. etc.

It's obviously much more complicated than the above, and depends on the individual and whether or not they are insulin resistant and the like - but they are pretty clear on the fact that the old calorie in - calories expended dictum is part of the problem... It's what has given rise to people virtually starving themselves, but still not losing weight - because the focus is on what is consumed, rather than on what happens to the calories that are consumed...

Not making any sort of definitive statement by the above - just throwing it out there... It's certainly caused me to question much of the traditional, and long-held advice that most of us have received over the periods of our lifetimes...

trust me its not a crap load of food

breakfast low low fat yoghart, with low gi bread

snack small small portion of lean biltong.

lunch pasta with chicken green peppers,

snack nuts

supper chicken/fish with veg no starch

That sounds pretty good to me.

You also need to consider that your body consumes more energy to feed itself.

No starch or carbs at night and very small amounts at lunch is a great step in the right direction.

Few questions.

Sorry if some seem harsh, but I copied and pasted.

Do you suffer from:

Acid reflux, Bloating, Flatulence, Nausea, Diarrhea, Constipation, Stomach cramps, Indigestion, Burping after meals, Mucus in stool, Hemorrhoids, Itching anus.

Do you feel :

Inability to focus, Poor memory, Brain fog, Irritability, Anger, Dizziness, Depression, Crying spells, Panic attacks, Low libido, Persistent extreme fatigue, Hyperactivity, Cravings for sweets and alcohol, Insomnia, Poor coordination.

Respiratory system :

Persistent cough, Mucus in throat, Sore throat, Sinus congestion, Chronic post-nasal drip, Flu-like symptoms, Hay fever symptoms, Sinusitis, Asthma.

Immune system:

Frequent colds and flu, Allergies, Sensitivities to food, fragrances and chemicals.

Weight issues :

Inability to lose weight, Water retention, Weight loss.

I will stop there for now.

But as someone mentioned before, starving yourself puts your body into storage mode thus not allowing you to loose weight as it now thinks that there is a shortage of food in it's future. Anyway, that's why people came in and said eat little but often to keep your metabolism going which plays a large role in weight loss.

Interesting this - only because I came to exactly the opposite conclusion on reading the above [DietDoctor.com / LCHF]... Had a good look at the comments and posts on the website, and then went out an bought Taubes' book, that Noakes referred to... It's quite hefty - and still working my way through it.

Anyways - one of the experts on the DietDoctor site, in an interview with the good Dr., had a chat about the effects of insulin, and how it is now being studied in much more detail in regards to its possible impact on diabetes.... I'm over-simplifying now, and don't quote me on this (go check it out yourself), but in one part - he explains it as follows:

Your body needs XX amount of calories per day. If you only consume that exact XX amount, you will neither lose weight, nor gain weight. However, assume you consume foodstuff A. This triggers the release of insulin. Your body reacts, and immediately converts %Y of that calorie intake to FAT, before it becomes accessible to your body as energy. Therefore, your body then doesn't get the full XX amount of calories, but receives XX - Y... And so - you get hungry again, because you still haven't taken in the required XX amount of calories. So you eat again - more of foodstuff A - which again converts %Y to fat - which leaves you hungry again, since you've still not reached your XX quota - so you eat again.... etc. etc.

It's obviously much more complicated than the above, and depends on the individual and whether or not they are insulin resistant and the like - but they are pretty clear on the fact that the old calorie in - calories expended dictum is part of the problem... It's what has given rise to people virtually starving themselves, but still not losing weight - because the focus is on what is consumed, rather than on what happens to the calories that are consumed...

Not making any sort of definitive statement by the above - just throwing it out there... It's certainly caused me to question much of the traditional, and long-held advice that most of us have received over the periods of our lifetimes...

Quite a detailed reply to a blunt statement. Thanks.

There are so many things at work that can be considered and obviously a better/healthier way of doing things than just limiting intake. Unfortunately no matter how complicated it can be it can also be simple.

Many times 'hunger' is like turning off the lights and just seeing black. Its your reference that need to change and some conditioning.

That sounds pretty good to me.

You also need to consider that your body consumes more energy to feed itself.

No starch or carbs at night and very small amounts at lunch is a great step in the right direction.

Few questions.

Sorry if some seem harsh, but I copied and pasted.

Do you suffer from:

Acid reflux, Bloating, Flatulence, Nausea, Diarrhea, Constipation, Stomach cramps, Indigestion, Burping after meals, Mucus in stool, Hemorrhoids, Itching anus.

Do you feel :

Inability to focus, Poor memory, Brain fog, Irritability, Anger, Dizziness, Depression, Crying spells, Panic attacks, Low libido, Persistent extreme fatigue, Hyperactivity, Cravings for sweets and alcohol, Insomnia, Poor coordination.

Respiratory system :

Persistent cough, Mucus in throat, Sore throat, Sinus congestion, Chronic post-nasal drip, Flu-like symptoms, Hay fever symptoms, Sinusitis, Asthma.

Immune system:

Frequent colds and flu, Allergies, Sensitivities to food, fragrances and chemicals.

Weight issues :

Inability to lose weight, Water retention, Weight loss.

I will stop there for now.

reflux stopped after i lost the 30kgs was lost

memory loss def. yes irritable hell yes i was diagnosed with sleep apnoea so i know why on that one i am a positive(i know no sleep = no weigh loss but i am working on that got the machine done the terrible apnoea test

sinus !! dont we all (being cyclists)//

and weight loss none of that happening