Top 10 Must do Mtb Events

Wil6

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see the Giants Castle not making the mix - how many guys have actually done it here? How how can you know what you don't know? So in that sense a popularity poll is fatally flawed.

Not flawed if people actually read the entire thread....It was mentioned early on in the thread

Capies...what is the lighthouse to lighthouse like?...my boet is apparently doing this next year

Like hell and back... but sub the climbs for some thick sand. Small race and viewed by many as merely a training ride for something bigger.

2 less well subscribed one day events that are worth making a weekend of, especially if you like proper mountain biking more than dirt roads.

Royal drakensberg MTB classic

Marico MTB classic

Still on my bucket list:

- Clarens

- 3 Towers (it made my top 5 stage races simply due to good reviews from friends)

- BC Bike Race (booked and paid for 2013, so will be giving feedback post return July 2013)

- Trans Alps

- Trans Rockies

- Desert Dash

- Conquistador

hells yeah! If I was the OP and was planning 10 local events... I'd trade in all a bunch of them for Trans Alps.

I'd also trade in quite a few Megavalanche.

Sure, they're not local, but with the cost of some of these local events, sacrifice a few and one could do something legendary.

Silence all those Sani, J2C and Epic people at the next braai when you start your story with "well when I was at Megavalanche..." :lol:

nobody mentions the cape epic?

*crickets chirping*

that should be an indication of the bad cost vs reward value that it offers.

I had the privilege of doing both the Epic and Freedom Challenge this year and have done a number of the other ones listed.

Guess the topic is about priority and ranking etc - but really most events can't and shouldn't be compared - we are so privileged here in SA.

If the Epic appeals to you in any way - go for it, make a plan, do it once, life is too short, its an awesome event in our backyard

If the Freedom Challenge appeals to you - think twice, then give it everything you have got, it is milestone in your life.

If I had to choose - FC all the way - few times in my life have I been so humbled and proud as I was to ride up that driveway to Diemersfontein

Edited by tubed

The H&B is different because it is so unusual but there is NO singletrack.Just gravel road and that does not do it for me

Absolutely no interest in riding gravel roads.I would rather go ride my road bike.

Just came back from Hell&Back this weekend - I have done a few mtb races that resemble road races on gravel but this definitely not one of them. Never-ending steep climbs, scary rocky descents and virtually no flat bits to recover - doesn't even remotely resemble anything I have done on a road bike.

Still on my bucket list:

- Clarens

- 3 Towers (it made my top 5 stage races simply due to good reviews from friends)

- BC Bike Race (booked and paid for 2013, so will be giving feedback post return July 2013)

- Trans Alps

- Trans Rockies

- Desert Dash

- Conquistador

Now you are talking.. Trans Germany can also be added

Berg and Bush

Magoebaskloof

Barberton

Smaller events include:

Cowan House (Hilton) still one of my favourites for the awesome single track

Red Stone Crazy Croc for a good local technical ride